Starbucks violated union busting laws...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Actions...not words.

Corporations are only "allies" as long as they themselves are not affected by the policies they pretend to espouse.

Starbucks is an LBGT ally right up until it might affect their bottom line.

Starbucks is pro-Union until their own employees want to form a union.

Sure... it's Starbucks currently being foist by their petard...but don't be fooled... it's all of them.

Target, InBev... you see how quickly they threw your principles directly under the bus when it counted?

These corporations are just trying to make money... their dedication to your cause ends the moment it interferes with that goal.

OGC.5a1edb12593719c2740ac7e337f7a2dd

I don't get the idea of a Starbucks union. It isn't like it takes any particular skill to make coffee in a restaurant or pour it for the customer or to make change for a five.

Next to no training is needed.

Back in the day, Burt and Patsy tried to organize the Newark Starbucks but realized how futile it was.

Actions...not words.

Corporations are only "allies" as long as they themselves are not affected by the policies they pretend to espouse.

Starbucks is an LBGT ally right up until it might affect their bottom line.

Starbucks is pro-Union until their own employees want to form a union.

Sure... it's Starbucks currently being foist by their petard...but don't be fooled... it's all of them.

Target, InBev... you see how quickly they threw your principles directly under the bus when it counted?

These corporations are just trying to make money... their dedication to your cause ends the moment it interferes with that goal.

All true.

Doesn't mean you can't make common cause with them on issues.

You see, what Republicans have forgotten is politics is the art of compromise. Maybe Starbucks won't allow a union, but if you get them to agree to better pay and benefits, that's a sensible middle ground.

I don't get the idea of a Starbucks union. It isn't like it takes any particular skill to make coffee in a restaurant or pour it for the customer or to make change for a five.

Next to no training is needed.

Back in the day, Burt and Patsy tried to organize the Newark Starbucks but realized how futile it was.

Workers have a legal right to unionize and collectively bargain.

Starbucks made all the correct pro-Union noises and toed the progressive pro-union line... right up until it was their workers unionizing.

How much skill is needed to mine coal?

Coal miners unionized over safety issues.

But, that's not really the point.

The workers have a legal right to unionize and collectively bargain.

Skill isn't an issue one way or the other.

All true.

Doesn't mean you can't make common cause with them on issues.

You see, what Republicans have forgotten is politics is the art of compromise. Maybe Starbucks won't allow a union, but if you get them to agree to better pay and benefits, that's a sensible middle ground.
Is it?

I don't think so.

The workers will have significantly more power as a union than with a "sensible middle ground".

How much skill is needed to mine coal? Or dig a ditch?
A hell of a lot more than making a cup of coffee. Starbucks employees are going to price themselves right out of a job. People aren't going to pay $10 for a cup of coffee when other coffee stands are charging $5 for a comparable product.

A hell of a lot more than making a cup of coffee. Starbucks employees are going to price themselves right out of a job. People aren't going to pay $10 for a cup of coffee when other coffee stands are charging $5 for a comparable product.
Starbucks is already making a ridiculous profit. A profit that they should be sharing with their employees.

How much skill is needed to mine coal? Or dig a ditch?

Coal mining requires more skill that what you might think.

Further, it requires a high degree of strength and stamina and going underground is a hard way to make a buck.

Pouring coffee and making change in an air conditioned store is an easy job to do, and an easy one for an employer to staff.

Forum List

Back