Southwest N.S. lobster pound destroyed by fire, man in hospital with life-threatening injuries

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
There is no idea of the fire’s cause at this point, and LeBlanc says it will be difficult to determine as the building was fully involved when crews arrived. The fire marshal has been called to investigate.

While LeBlanc wasn’t able to confirm the use of the building, a media representative for Sipekne'katik First Nation confirmed to CTV Atlantic that the building was the same lobster pound where two employees had barricaded themselves in on Tuesday.

RCMP confirmed in a news release that about 200 people were present at two incidents Tuesday night outside lobster pounds in southwestern Nova Scotia, during which employees were prevented from leaving, rocks were thrown and a vehicle was set on fire.

Jason Marr, a fisher from Sipekne'katik, said he and another Indigenous lobster fisherman were trapped inside the Middle West Pubnico facility after he arrived to store his lobster.

I'm not sure why Trudeau won't provide the resources.

The Sipekne'katik band argues Indigenous people in Atlantic Canada and Quebec have a treaty right to fish for a moderate livelihood where and when they want, based on a 1999 Supreme Court of Canada decision that cites treaties signed by the Crown in the 1700s.

Surmising by what has been happening on Mille Lacs Lake, I'd say there's a strong possibility that the Indians have been overfishing...They can be very short-sighted like that.

Last edited:
The Sipekne'katik band argues Indigenous people in Atlantic Canada and Quebec have a treaty right to fish for a moderate livelihood where and when they want, based on a 1999 Supreme Court of Canada decision that cites treaties signed by the Crown in the 1700s.

Surmising by what has been happening on Mille Lacs Lake, I'd say there's a strong possibility that the Indians have been overfishing...The can be very short-sighted like that.
I've heard the locals have to lock their dumpsters during netting season or risk having it filled with the small fry.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back