South Park

Yep, Aqua Teen and Harvey Birdman are cool. I like all those "classic" Adult Swim shows, though Space Ghost: Coast to Coast was sometimes a little too weird for me. But, they all seemed to have the same sensibility, Adult Swim these days is too uneven.

I only caught the last 10 minutes, but at least I got to see the nice swipe at the tools at Comedy Central.

i like the tribute to the prank they pulled in season one with terrence and phillip. the slap fight was funny as well. the posters on the wall: cool age:the smackdown

One of my favorite episodes of all time. Seriously.

The Terrance and Philip thing was great, and honestly, I wouldn't have minded if they just did another 1/2 hour of Terrance and Philip. I'm one of the few people who enjoyed "Not Without My Anus".

I wonder if Comedy Central really did puss out or if it was just an intentional gag? If not, it's sad that they can't show Muhammed, but it's okay to show Jesus crapping on people thirty seconds later.

Take this for what it's worth, but there've been reports from people who called Comedy Central and were told that it wasn't a joke, there really was an order from Comedy Central.

It makes sense: every other time that they censored Muhammed, they just had a black square, not a title card. And if they had shown Muhammed, they probably would've just shown him the way they showed him in Super Best Friends, then had Jesus come out and crapping on GW and the American flag as a way to catch you off guard, and also sort of to make the same point of, 'there's all this crap over Muhammed, but we can show this super-offensive thing against Jesus and America with no problem.

I'm assuming the Laverne & Shirley thing was a joke, but that really seems to be going on with South Park these days. First Scientologists, then Catholics (maybe it was the other way around, I don't remember), now Muslim extremists. I just hope this doesn't seriously start a chain reaction that ends up getting the show cancelled. I don't think it will, though, it's really been the best it's ever been the past few seasons.

I wish there was some way they could do a Family Guy joke every week, those were hilarious. "This is worse than the time I got stuck in Mexico with Gary Coleman!"

I also liked that they dissed themselves, too: "I like Family Guy, at least it's not up its own ass with messages every week." The funny thing is, even if Family Guy tried to retaliate (I don't see it happening, just because of the huge gap between production and airing for Family Guy versus South Park), they couldn't say anything that this episode didn't already say.

Insein hit it right on the head: so many angles of comedy came into this one and they all merged perfectly.

Seems guaranteed to bring out the nuts that have been offended in the past. Dhimmitude is contagious:

via LGF:

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=20110_South_Park_Censorship-_A_Matter_of_Fear#comments

Dear Viewer,

Thank you for your correspondence regarding the “South Park” episodes entitled “Cartoon Wars.” We appreciate your concerns about censorship and the destructive influence of outside groups on the media, entertainment industry and particularly Comedy Central.

To reiterate, as satirists, we believe that it is our First Amendment right to poke fun at any and all people, groups, organizations and religions and we will continue to defend that right. Our goal is to make people laugh and perhaps, if we’re lucky, even make them think in the process.

Comedy Central’s belief in the First Amendment has not wavered, despite our decision not to air an image of Muhammad. Our decision was made not to mute the voices of Trey and Matt or because we value one religion over any other. This decision was based solely on concern for public safety in light of recent world events.

With the power of freedom of speech and expression also comes the obligation to use that power in a responsible way. Much as we wish it weren’t the case, times have changed and, as witnessed by the intense and deadly reaction to the publication of the Danish cartoons, decisions cannot be made in a vacuum without considering what impact they may have on innocent individuals around the globe.

It was with this in mind we decided not to air the image of Muhammad, a decision similar to that made by virtually every single media outlet across the country earlier this year when they each determined that it was not prudent or in the interest of safety to reproduce the controversial Danish cartoons. Injuries occurred and lives were lost in the riots set off by the original publication of these cartoons. The American media made a decision then, as we did now, not to put the safety and well being of the public at risk, here or abroad.

As a viewer of “South Park,” you know that over the course of ten seasons and almost 150 episodes the series has addressed all types of sensitive, hot-button issues, religious and political, and has done so with Comedy Central’s full support in every instance, including this one. “Cartoon Wars” contained a very important message, one that Trey and Matt felt strongly about, as did we at the network, which is why we gave them carte blanche in every facet but one: we would not broadcast a portrayal of Muhammad.

In that regard, did we censor the show? Yes, we did. But if you hold Comedy Central’s 15-year track record up against any other network out there, you’ll find that we afford our talent the most creative freedom and provide a nurturing atmosphere that challenges them to be bold and daring and places them in a position to constantly break barriers and push the envelope. The result has been some of the most provocative television ever produced.

We would like nothing more than to be able to look back at this in a few years and think that perhaps we overreacted. Unfortunately, to have made a different decision and to look back and see that we completely underestimated the damage that resulted was a risk we were not willing to take.

Our pledge to you, our loyal viewers, is that Comedy Central will continue to produce and provide the best comedy available and we will continue to push it right to the edge, using and defending the First Amendment in the most responsible way we know how.

Sincerely,
Comedy Central Viewer Services

http://www.southparkstudios.com/

From the Comedy Central Press Release:

Towelie's Memoirs are chosen for Oprah's Book Club in an all-new episode of South Park premiering Wednesday, April 19 at 10:00 P.M. on Comedy Central

Towelie’s book is the next big pick in Oprah’s Book Club in an all-new episode of “South Park” titled “A Million Little Fibers” premiering Wednesday, April 19 at 10 p.m. on Comedy Central.

Towelie gets over his drug addiction and writes a moving book about his experiences. Thanks to Oprah’s support, the book becomes a best seller and his story inspires millions to turn their lives around. However, when he’s caught in a lie by the grand dame of daytime television, Towelie’s old habits start to look mighty appealing.

Lefty Wilbury said:
http://www.southparkstudios.com/

From the Comedy Central Press Release:

Towelie's Memoirs are chosen for Oprah's Book Club in an all-new episode of South Park premiering Wednesday, April 19 at 10:00 P.M. on Comedy Central

Towelie’s book is the next big pick in Oprah’s Book Club in an all-new episode of “South Park” titled “A Million Little Fibers” premiering Wednesday, April 19 at 10 p.m. on Comedy Central.

Towelie gets over his drug addiction and writes a moving book about his experiences. Thanks to Oprah’s support, the book becomes a best seller and his story inspires millions to turn their lives around. However, when he’s caught in a lie by the grand dame of daytime television, Towelie’s old habits start to look mighty appealing.

Im sure itll be funny but i couldnt care less about that dude that duped Oprah. I actually thought that was funny/sad that everyone just eats up whatever Oprah feeds them.

I doubt that Comedy Central has "wimped out" with Cruise. They will wait until after they make millions from his movie then air all of the episodes with even a mention of Scientology...

This Mohammed thing is getting ridiculous. We censor our television because of fear? That is truly sad.

Well it finally happened. I stood by and watched while everything I hold dear in life was mercilessly lambasted and insulted. But man...I just cannot sit through close-ups of Oprah Winfry's vagina, even animated.

That one was WEIRD. I think Towelie's comment about how it's not good to try and write things when you're high may have been a little hint-hint about the show.

Pretty easy week for the animators, I guess. I liked it, I laughed a lot, but it's funny to me that they can still be so weird and off-the-wall.

Forum List

Back