Somewhere in Time

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
This is an intensely romantic love story with Christopher Reeve, Jane Seymour, and Christopher Plummer. Time travel and romance don't always workout that well and this movie no exception. The scenes from Grand Hotel and Mackinac Island are wonderful as are the romantic scenes between Reeve and Seymour and the music is perfect. However, the audience knows that a romance between a 1980's man and 1912 woman are not likely to lead to a happy ending. If you want see a very romantic movie in a beautiful setting and willing to ignore some stupid stuff about time travel and a script that could have been better then you might like this movie. It's not great but not a bad.

That's one of the only reasons I want to see it, The Grand Hotel is beautiful, was up there in June and it features the longest porch of any building in the world. I would have liked to stay there but it is for wealthy folks only, although the unwashed can pay $10 for a tour of the place. Never did though.

That's one of the only reasons I want to see it, The Grand Hotel is beautiful, was up there in June and it features the longest porch of any building in the world. I would have liked to stay there but it is for wealthy folks only, although the unwashed can pay $10 for a tour of the place. Never did though.
Wow. It's been so long since I've been up there.

Can you see the bridge from the porch?
39702.jpg

The movie highlights the hotel. I have never seen it but I assume that it looks a lot like it did in 1912 which is the time frame of the movie.

Cool movie. I’m from Northern Michigan and used to go to Mackinac island fairly often. Cool place.

Wow. It's been so long since I've been up there.

Can you see the bridge from the porch?
39702.jpg
I don't think so, I believe the Grand is on the wrong side of Mackinac Island to see the bridge, but I might be wrong, I never noticed it. I didn't actually set foot on the porch. Located very nearby is the Governors summer home, which is big and beautiful.

This is an intensely romantic love story with Christopher Reeve, Jane Seymour, and Christopher Plummer. Time travel and romance don't always workout that well and this movie no exception. The scenes from Grand Hotel and Mackinac Island are wonderful as are the romantic scenes between Reeve and Seymour and the music is perfect. However, the audience knows that a romance between a 1980's man and 1912 woman are not likely to lead to a happy ending. If you want see a very romantic movie in a beautiful setting and willing to ignore some stupid stuff about time travel and a script that could have been better then you might like this movie. It's not great but not a bad.

I had a major thing for her back in the day

I don't think so, I believe the Grand is on the wrong side of Mackinac Island to see the bridge, but I might be wrong, I never noticed it. I didn't actually set foot on the porch. Located very nearby is the Governors summer home, which is big and beautiful.
Actually, the Grand is part way up the bluff. It is certainly high enough, and it looks to face south, so it wouldn't have the best view, but it is pretty high up on the bluff.

I only did not remember if the trees and other buildings were in the way. Or if it were facing the wrong way. . . It is. It faces south, so the view isn't the greatest.

1671825933993.png

Here is a virtual tour, and you can't really move the view all the way to the west. However, I believe you might just barely be able to catch a glimpse of it. . . maybe not.

69ce34ec516b96cb5432a53aa67534f284091400.JPG

I took a map clip, so folks can really get a sense of just how big the Mighty Mac really is.

The movie highlights the hotel. I have never seen it but I assume that it looks a lot like it did in 1912 which is the time frame of the movie.
The whole island and the straights of Mackinac is not to be missed if you can ever get a chance to visit it.

Once in my youth while I was working there, I remember waiting on a visiting tourist from the Czech Republic, and she told me we were so lucky to have such beautiful seas.

When I told her they were all fresh water. . . it blew her mind. Most folks that live around oceans and seas all their lives, and then spend a few weeks in the summer vacationing on them, can't wrap their minds around all that fresh water.

It is a bit different than you see in the movie, but, still, they do keep a lot of thing on the island very historic.

Very enjoyable I remember seeing it back in the early 80s. As you say, don't be too picky and just go with the romance.

Forum List

Back