some experts have cast doubt on chinese scientists claims that NK launch site is unusable

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
Experts doubt N. Korea nuke test site collapse claims
Experts have cast doubt on Chinese scientists' claims that North Korea's main underground nuclear test site has been rendered unusable after collapsing due to a massive blast last year.
A study by seismologists from the University of Science and Technology of China suggested rock had collapsed under Mount Mantap in the country's northeast after a nuclear test in September that triggered a 6.3-magnitude earthquake.

An English-language abstract by the study authors in another section of the university's website concluded: "The occurrence of the collapse should deem the underground infrastructure beneath mountain Mantap not be used for any future nuclear tests."

But Jeffrey Lewis of the Middlebury Institute of Strategic Studies tweeted Thursday: "The mountain did not collapse and there is no evidence that it is unusable."

"I checked an image from @planetlabs dated April 25. The mountain is still there," quipped Lewis.

Ahead of a hotly awaited inter-Korean summit on Friday, the North's leader, Kim Jong Un, declared he would shut down the Punggye-ri testing site, which includes Mount Mantap.

Skeptics have said it was an empty concession by Kim as the site is already suffering from "tired mountain syndrome" and may be obsolete.

But Lewis noted that while the explosion did cause a cavity to collapse, "this does not mean the tunnel complex below the mountain is ruined."

Would China lie though? :dunno:

Experts have cast doubt on Chinese scientists' claims that North Korea's main underground nuclear test site has been rendered unusable after collapsing due to a massive blast last year.
A study by seismologists from the University of Science and Technology of China suggested rock had collapsed under Mount Mantap in the country's northeast after a nuclear test in September that triggered a 6.3-magnitude earthquake.

An English-language abstract by the study authors in another section of the university's website concluded: "The occurrence of the collapse should deem the underground infrastructure beneath mountain Mantap not be used for any future nuclear tests."

But Jeffrey Lewis of the Middlebury Institute of Strategic Studies tweeted Thursday: "The mountain did not collapse and there is no evidence that it is unusable."

"I checked an image from @planetlabs dated April 25. The mountain is still there," quipped Lewis.

Ahead of a hotly awaited inter-Korean summit on Friday, the North's leader, Kim Jong Un, declared he would shut down the Punggye-ri testing site, which includes Mount Mantap.

Skeptics have said it was an empty concession by Kim as the site is already suffering from "tired mountain syndrome" and may be obsolete.

But Lewis noted that while the explosion did cause a cavity to collapse, "this does not mean the tunnel complex below the mountain is ruined."

I haven't been catching much news the past few days, but I hadn't heard anything about this mountain collapse except here. I wondered why.

Yes, yes they would. ;)

I haven't been catching much news the past few days, but I hadn't heard anything about this mountain collapse except here. I wondered why.
Nuke test mountain collapse may be why Kim Jong-un actually shut down site

Crazy how people were quick to say trump didnt deserve credit because of the chinese story. But someone contradicts it? You dont even hear crickets. Those little bastards didnt show up either

Sort of odd that one guy saying something becomes “some experts”.

Sort of a fake news headline.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
One person by name. It also mentions John Hopkins school of advanced international studies. Thats a group that has been tracking NK development for almost a decade.
Sort of a fake post ;)

That’s a single guy and he says that there was a collapse. The rest is unfounded speculation.

This is not new. It’s been reported since about last October. Hundreds of people were killed in the collapse.

That’s a single guy and he says that there was a collapse. The rest is unfounded speculation.

This is not new. It’s been reported since about last October. Hundreds of people were killed in the collapse.
38 north said
"There is no basis to conclude that the Punggye-ri nuclear test site is no longer viable for future nuclear testing," the commentary added.

"It is not a case of passing off damaged goods."

38 north said
"There is no basis to conclude that the Punggye-ri nuclear test site is no longer viable for future nuclear testing," the commentary added.

It’s no coincidence that photos and seismic readings indicate a collapse happened, and suddenly Kim Jong Un, who had been feverishly testing missiles including launching one over Japan, suddenly stopped when that happened. Your one guy even said it collapsed before he went on to wild speculation.

38 north said

It’s no coincidence that photos and seismic readings indicate a collapse happened, and suddenly Kim Jong Un, who had been feverishly testing missiles including launching one over Japan, suddenly stopped when that happened. Your one guy even said it collapsed before he went on to wild speculation.
He said a cavity collapsed. He then goes on to say that doesnt mean it isnt usable.
To the first part? I agree. BUT they also say its LIKELY it collapsed.
Who knows man.

I don't understand why the damaged testing facility is even a factor. It's not like it couldn't be repaired or a new facility couldn't be built. This is a red haring to detract from an apparently successful diplomatic transaction.

Hell yes china would lie. Are they lying I do not know but they are certainly capable of it. I am sure they lie to us every time they think they can get away with it!

I don't understand why the damaged testing facility is even a factor. It's not like it couldn't be repaired or a new facility couldn't be built. This is a red haring to detract from an apparently successful diplomatic transaction.
I am not ready to call any diplomatic transaction successfull for at least ten years after. You can get the best deal inh the world but if it is not followed it was a waist of time. I hope it will be a good deal but I have no faith in Kim as a partner of any sort. I highly doubt Trump would either. The pres can be shitty job dealing with a bunch of liars.

Forum List

Back