Solyndra e-mails: Dept. of Energy was poised to approve $469 million for firm (secon

I just find it funny that this is an issue..and stuff like the Orbital Nuclear Platform and other various failed weapon systems seem to go down the memory hole.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/06/business/06marine.html

The Joint Strike Fighter program cost 300 Billion in total.

:lol:

Previous wrong doesn't excuse a future wrong.
To this...I know you agree. I also bet you agree that no matter the party - government is, generally speaking, corrupt, wasteful, inefficient and not very effective.
Would you agree?
Then why do you support a big government? The bigger the reach of government - the deeper the corruption, more waste and ineffectiveness.
No?

Future wrong?

Personally I see nothing wrong with private/public partnerships. Guess what? Some of them are going to fail. Nature of the beast. I do see a problem with corruption. That's an element missing here.

Add in..we are now the number one country in solar tech. It's one of the only new tech we are exporting. To China.

Eventually these sorts of investments are going to pay off. And big.

Oil and coal are a good investment as they're proven and work. Solar and Wind is nothing more then side energy producers that are unproven...We're flushing money down the crapper.

They absolutely are not "unproven". What they are in is the beginning stages.

Sounds like you'd be standing in the field when the Wright brothers plane went down after a few seconds going:

"What a waste of time. All this for a 30 second flight? If man were meant to fly..he'd have wings."

Solyndra e-mails: Dept. of Energy was poised to approve $469 million for firm (second massive loan)
Washington Post ^ | Wednesday October 5, 2011 | Carol D. Leonnig

Solyndra e-mails: Dept. of Energy was poised to approve $469 million for firm - The Washington Post
The Obama administration’s Department of Energy was poised last summer to give Solyndra a second major taxpayer loan of $469 million, even as the company’s financial situation was growing more dire.

The Energy Department was actively pushing to provide the second loan guarantee to the troubled solar-panel manufacturer in April and May 2010, when Solyndra’s auditors warned the company was in danger of closing due to its rapidly mounting debts and expenses, according to complete e-mails just released by a House committee investigating the original loan.

White House career staffers, who had first raised concerns in the fall of 2009 about the Department of Energy providing Solyndra with its first taxpayer-backed loan of $535 million , wrote e-mails in gallows humor in April 2010 about the prospect of giving Solyndra more money. That spring, industry analysts were publicly questioning how the Silicon Valley startup could so quickly be running out both the federal loan and $933 million in private capital.

“Apparently the loan size for Phase II is $469 million,” one Office of Management and Budget analyst wrote of DOE seeking a second loan for Solyndra. The analysts’s name was not released by the committee. “I’ve been told we should expect the see that project soon for conditional commitment.”

Another joked: “Possible to close and default on one before closing on a second??? Could be a new record.”

The agency didn’t shelve the idea for a second loan until October 2010, a Department of Energy spokesman has confirmed. That was the month that Solyndra executives and investors first warned the department that the company was facing the threat of having to liquidate without emergency cash.

(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonpost.com ...

:evil::evil:

No doubt about it, Solyndra is to President Obama what Gardasil is to Rick Perry; a non-winner. Every time it is mentioned; both guys lose.

Is Perry still running?

Oil and coal are a good investment as they're proven and work. Solar and Wind is nothing more then side energy producers that are unproven...We're flushing money down the crapper.

In the history of everything that works in this world, there was a time and place when they did not.

Solar and Wind will eventually be viable; the investments being made today, including those that did not pay off are stepping stones on that path.

But politically, finding out the stone you stepped on was not firmly planted is a sure way to take a fall.

I just find it funny that this is an issue..and stuff like the Orbital Nuclear Platform and other various failed weapon systems seem to go down the memory hole.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/06/business/06marine.html

The Joint Strike Fighter program cost 300 Billion in total.

Previous wrong doesn't excuse a future wrong.
To this...I know you agree. I also bet you agree that no matter the party - government is, generally speaking, corrupt, wasteful, inefficient and not very effective.
Would you agree?
Then why do you support a big government? The bigger the reach of government - the deeper the corruption, more waste and ineffectiveness.
No?

Future wrong?

Personally I see nothing wrong with private/public partnerships. Guess what? Some of them are going to fail. Nature of the beast. I do see a problem with corruption. That's an element missing here.

Add in..we are now the number one country in solar tech. It's one of the only new tech we are exporting. To China.

Eventually these sorts of investments are going to pay off. And big.

Aha...now friend we can see common ground. I agree that solar technology will absolutely have a place in the future - it is certain.
HOWEVER - that has nothing to do with the illogical and irresponsible act by this administration to invest in a...wait for it...FAILING solar company.
And not just failing a little - we are talking nuclear bottom line with ZERO prospects of improvement.
Therefore instead of throwing money at a provable dead horse - take that money and invest in research and development in solar energy...hell...setup a solar program within NASA.
As far as corruption here...you cannot ignore the concrete White House connections board members of this company had.

Forum List

Back