So ... I am going to rebuild a carburetor...

I had a Polaris 400 4x4 2-stroke. That thing was a beast! Idk how fast it really went, but it felt like about 70,

and it got there quick.
Scrambler? Otherwise, I probably know of and have ridden something similar. Rips. I can appreciate the speed lovers on the trails. I rode in a friend's CAN AM recently that was like a goddamn Porsche on the dirt, in terms of interior/exterior quality and speed. Supercharged, 1000cc madness. But slower with clearance is more my cup of tea off-road. 30-40mph (usually less), 50 max. I like to go to interesting places, but I ain't in a hurry. I like some obstacles, maybe some rock crawling, maybe a bit of fjording. But that's me. :dunno:

Scrambler? Otherwise, I probably know of and have ridden something similar. Rips. I can appreciate the speed lovers on the trails. I rode in a friend's CAN AM recently that was like a goddamn Porsche on the dirt, in terms of interior/exterior quality and speed. Supercharged, 1000cc madness. But slower with clearance is more my cup of tea off-road. 30-40mph (usually less), 50 max. I like to go to interesting places, but I ain't in a hurry. I like some obstacles, maybe some rock crawling, maybe a bit of fjording. But that's me. :dunno:
Idk, it was 2-stroke. Scary on curvy woods trails. Not that it didn't handle good, but one wrong

throttling and things could go very bad very quickly.

Idk, it was 2-stroke. Scary on curvy woods trails. Not that it didn't handle good, but one wrong

throttling and things could go very bad very quickly.
Screenshot 2024-04-03 8.02.50 PM.png

Sounds about right. I was thinking it might be this guy.

...on my lawn tractor...

The local small engine parts place is closed, so I check online...

The rebuild kit is $24...and at the same time I see the OEM carburetor is over $200...

View attachment 926851

But since this isn't the original motor for this tractor, I plug in the motors engine number...and an aftermarket carburetor is only two dollars more than a rebuild kit...

View attachment 926852

Motofoal Amazon.com

What the hell?
What? You know Joe (a well-meaning elderly man with a poor memory) well enough, to get him to rebuild it in his spare time if you furnish the parts?

Even if you have to replace every couple of years (chinacrap) you are still ahead over the carb kit. I say that because in my experience they don’t survive alcohol gas.

I can get no ETOH gas up here in the sticks....We put it in all the small engines, and the bike....Sometimes I get a tank of 100LL at the airport.
^^^^ This is what I do as well. Almost all of the local gas and go's have ethanol free premium 91 or 93. Currently $3.54/gallon. We had that gnarly storm come thru on Tuesday so we topped of the reserve with 20 gallons for the generators and Stabilized it....$71.

It's a real crapshoot with the Chinese carbs. I've got crap and I've got some that work OK.

The thing is, if you get crap you usually can use the parts to rebuild your factory carb.

I have a small ultrasonic so I will usually rebuild the factory carb.
That's a good idea...but I'm really hoping it will work.

...on my lawn tractor...

The local small engine parts place is closed, so I check online...

The rebuild kit is $24...and at the same time I see the OEM carburetor is over $200...

View attachment 926851

But since this isn't the original motor for this tractor, I plug in the motors engine number...and an aftermarket carburetor is only two dollars more than a rebuild kit...

View attachment 926852

Motofoal Amazon.com

What the hell?
No brainer.

Price gouging by the big brand.
Briggs and Stratton opened a plant in Rolla Missouri when I was at Leonard Wood in 1994. One of the neighbors wives worked there.

They closed the plant 2007 and sent the manufacturing to China.

So it a Chinese aftermarket or a Chinese branded Briggs OEM for 10 times the price?

No brainer.

^^^^ This is what I do as well. Almost all of the local gas and go's have ethanol free premium 91 or 93. Currently $3.54/gallon. We had that gnarly storm come thru on Tuesday so we topped of the reserve with 20 gallons for the generators and Stabilized it....$71.
Worth every penny, in headed-off repairs needed from the ETOH poison.

Briggs and Stratton opened a plant in Rolla Missouri when I was at Leonard Wood in 1994. One of the neighbors wives worked there.

They closed the plant 2007 and sent the manufacturing to China.

So it a Chinese aftermarket or a Chinese branded Briggs OEM for 10 times the price?

No brainer.
They are probably the same part from the same plant, just labeled differently.

You mean a quadrajunk?

I've done a couple of'em, but always preferred Holleys...
That's because they're easier. (and better, too.)

I'm talking stock crap that if you turn it upside down and don't hold your hand just right, it all just goes crazy.

Now it's time to buy a Holley. The average dude ain't gettin' this back together.

The new carb looked beautiful.. near mirror finish on the inside. Even came with a new fuel filter.

Twenty minutes work and it ran on the first turn of the key.

Thanks for the opinions and recommendations. :thup:

IMG_20240405_115701730~2.jpg

IMG_20240405_115653345~2.jpg

Old vvv
IMG_20240405_120330929.jpg

New vvv
IMG_20240405_123554762.jpg

Forum List

Back