So, how would you have answered the final question from the school girl?

$ecular#eckler

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2020
Transient
I want to close tonight's debate with the question posed by Brecklyn Brown. She's an eighth grader at Springville Junior High in Springville, Utah, and here's what she wrote. Quote – “When I watch the news, all I see is arguing between Democrats and Republicans. When I watch the news, all I see is citizen fighting against citizen. When I watch the news, all I see are two candidate parties, trying to tear each other down. If our leaders can't get along, how are the citizens supposed to get along?” And then she added, “Your examples could make all the difference to bring us together” – end quote. So for each of you, in turn, I’d like you to take one minute, and respond to Brecklyn.
Read the full transcript of vice presidential debate between Mike Pence and Kamala Harris

The simplest answer is that the government is improperly organized, and that causes the cyclic situation that she unwittingly described in her question: The politicians are arguing about how to properly run the improperly organized incomplete government, and that causes the media talent to argue on the news, and that trickles down to cause the social chaos that is reported on the news, and it cycles through causing the politicians, such as the Vice-president candidates, to provide non-answer answers, because they do not understand to explain that the problem is that the government is improperly organized and that that provides them with a margin of error to argue about.

Last edited:
1:24:37 PENCE

Brecklyn, it's a wonderful question. And let me just commend you for your interest in in public. I started following the news when I was very young. And in America, we believe in a free and open exchange of debate. And we celebrate that as how we could, literally, the freest and most prosperous nation in the history of the world. And I will tell you that –don't assume that what you're saying on your local news networks is synonymous with the American people. You know, I looked at the relationship between Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the late justice who we just lost from the Supreme Court, and the late Justice Antonin Scalia. They were on polar opposites, on the Supreme Court of the United States – one very liberal, one very conservative. But what's been learned since her passing was the two of them and their families were the very closest of friends. And here in America, we can disagree we can debate vigorously as Senator Harris and I have on the stage tonight. But when the debate is over, we come together as Americans. That's what people do in big cities and small towns all across this country, so I just want to encourage you, Brecklyn, I want to tell you that we're going to work every day to have a government as good as our people, the American people, each and every day. We love a good debate. We love a good argument. We always come together and are always there for one another. And we've especially learned that during the difficulties of this year.

1:26:20 HARRIS

First of all, I love to hear from our young leaders, and when I hear her words, when I hear your words, Brecklyn, I know our future is bright, because it is that perspective on who we are and who we should be – that is a sign of leadership and it's something we should all aspire to be.

And that you know that brings me to Joe. Joe Biden – one of the reasons that Joe decided to run for president, is after Charlottesville, which we talked about earlier, it so troubled him and upset him, like it did all of us, that there was that kind of hate and division. What propelled Joe to run for president was to see that, over the course of the last four years, what Brecklyn described has been happening. Joe has a long standing reputation of working across the aisle and working in a bipartisan way. And that's what he's going to do as President. Joe Biden has a history of lifting people up and fighting for their dignity. You mean you have to know Joe's story to know that Joe has known pain, he has known suffering, and he has known love. And so, Brecklyn, when you think about the future, I do believe the future is bright. And it will be because of your leadership, and it will be, because we fight for each person's voice through their vote. And we get engaged in this election, because you have the ability through your work, and through, eventually, your vote. To determine the future of our country, and what its leadership looks like.

I want to close tonight's debate with the question posed by Brecklyn Brown. She's an eighth grader at Springville Junior High in Springville, Utah, and here's what she wrote. Quote – “When I watch the news, all I see is arguing between Democrats and Republicans. When I watch the news, all I see is citizen fighting against citizen. When I watch the news, all I see are two candidate parties, trying to tear each other down. If our leaders can't get along, how are the citizens supposed to get along?” And then she added, “Your examples could make all the difference to bring us together” – end quote. So for each of you, in turn, I’d like you to take one minute, and respond to Brecklyn.

The simplest answer is that the government is improperly organized, and that causes the cyclic situation that she unwittingly described in her question: The politicians are arguing about how to properly run the improperly organized incomplete government, and that causes the media talent to argue on the news, and that trickles down to cause the social chaos that is reported on the news, and it cycles through causing the politicians, such as the Vice-president candidates to provide non-answer answers, because they do not understand to explain that the problem is that the problem is that the government is improperly organized and that that provides them with a margin of error to argue about.

Perhaps you needs send your thoughts deeper. Deeper into the abyss of human nature. As civilizations arose and broad spectrum human living conditions improved and the Industrial Revolution ensued, so did civilization also narrow down, once again, into the razor sharp spearpoint of the basest human instincts, emotions and primeval impulses. We are no more civilized today, collectively, than on the day of our first steps on this planet eons back in time. In effect we are even less civilized, less enlightened and less wise than those first men who discovered and subsequently worshipped fire, spear hunted for five ton bears and copulated randomly with community women. Our is not an Age of peace on Earth or unity of the human race in anything but slow creeping mutual suicide. To this child I would have said, "Volunteer for any and all upcoming long sleep human hibernation experiments. Perhaps you'll awaken after many epochs spent dreaming to a world less . . . human."

I would answer the question...democrats were calling for president Trumps impeachment before he was sworn in.

Democrats are in the streets now burning, looting, and murdering. NOT REPUBLICANS!

Democrats are assaulting 5 year olds who speak highly of president Trump.

If there is to be peace of any kind we must exterminate all democrats like the filth that they are.

They have been so mal-educated, manipulated, and brain washed that sadly, re-education camps are no longer a viable option.

My answer would be that "Too many people insist that anyone disagreeing with them must be some from of ist or phobe, and that is tearing the country apart, and to stop it, we must stop rewarding such behavior with won elections".

Her first 5 words hold the answer. "When I watch the news.....". That is the power the Media and 'news' agencies hold over America. Political leaders are supposed to argue, that is the nature of Democracy. The Media is supposed to be an independent watchdog for the people keeping both sides honest. Instead The Media has become a weapon for the Democrats to attack the President and Conservatives as well as divide and inflame the people. Fix the Media and let the leaders argue.

Would you rather have a dictatorship or a monarchy where there is no argument? You can't expect a kid to understand the freedoms inherent in the greatest document ever created, the U.S. Constitution, but argument, public discourse and compromise are elements of freedom and you get to express your own ideas in the voting booth. Quit whining about it and appreciate life in the greatest Country in the world.

Hey kid...go to pragerU dot com and learn something for once in your life!

They made everything into 5 minute videos so your limited attention span will be able to handle it.

In any representative democracy such as we have, there is always going to be disagreements over what to do and how to do it. Always has been, all the way back to the beginning; we should all read about how nasty the presidential election was in 1800 between John Adams and Thomas Jefferson. And we fought a civil war, now that's really not getting along. If you're old enough to remember the demonstrations over the Vietnam War, that was a very uncivil time too. So, from one issue to the next, we have always been divided about something from time to time unless a war or a great depression comes along. The fact that we can freely express ourselves allows for some of us to do so fiercely and without civility is a hallmark of who we are and our form of gov't. Did you know there have been fistfights on the floor of the US Senate, back in the day?

Which does not mean that disrespectful or offensive speech and behavior should be tolerated; too often we read or hear our leaders, both elected and otherwise saying things that are provocative and even inflammatory. It's all too common these days, and probably done to arouse support for a cause or campaign. And unfortunately the problem is spilling over into violence, protests and demonstrations are turning into riots. The solution is not a better system or organization of gov't, but in better leadership and also better citizenship. On all sides. The Dems point to Trump as being divisive but they themselves have been every bit as bad as he is. And too many times our media plays up the worst of them rather than those who conduct themselves with more grace and dignity. History shows us that eventually the emotions die down a little bit as major events overtake the nation' attention, 9/11 for instance. Or a uniter appears such as MLK was, to offer a non-violent and more civil means of disagreement.

Last edited:
I thought Pence said it best when he sited the personal relationship between Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Antonin Scalia. They could not have been more polar opposites politically. We should all follow their example.

On a side note, I could not have disagreed more with Ruth Bader Ginsburg on her policies. But, I liked her.

It is no one's fault.

We have an Achilles' heel.

It is a problem with NO solution.

IMHO, it will eventually lead to the dissolution of this country sometime in the next century.

The American experiment was just that: an experiment.

It has failed.

Wake up & smell the coffee.

Read the full transcript of vice presidential debate between Mike Pence and Kamala Harris

The simplest answer is that the government is improperly organized, and that causes the cyclic situation that she unwittingly described in her question: The politicians are arguing about how to properly run the improperly organized incomplete government, and that causes the media talent to argue on the news, and that trickles down to cause the social chaos that is reported on the news, and it cycles through causing the politicians, such as the Vice-president candidates, to provide non-answer answers, because they do not understand to explain that the problem is that the government is improperly organized and that that provides them with a margin of error to argue about.
Upon further review, I realize that that was not the answer to her question. It is the reason of the problem that she described. Her question was, "If our leaders can't get along, how are the citizens supposed to get along?"

Ideological segregation is the correct answer to her question; which was/is the implicit reasoning for republic government of a union of separate states - not tax incentives as it is now.

Last edited:
I thought Pence said it best when he sited the personal relationship between Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Antonin Scalia. They could not have been more polar opposites politically. We should all follow their example.
I don't believe the relationship to be as described - they're both dead, and cannot confirm the description. In my forty some years of adult socialization, I found it hard to get along with liberals long before the American society became so politically aware of the other side's ambition, and the media's better defining of the differences i.e., Rush Limbaugh. The thinking is starkly different between liberals and conservatives

Last edited:

Forum List

Back