So 8Chan Got Shut Down; But is That a Good Thing?

It was too bad because Bush abused the moment.

He did a lot of the same Republican shit they always do... and we all suffered for it. ANd I voted for that idiot, twice.

You voted for G W twice?? Wow; that must be a tuff one to admit. Thoughts & prayers.

I voted for Ronny RayGun in 1980 but I refused to make that mistake again in 1984.

Any private business like 8Chan, Facebook, Twitter, et al has the legal right to permit or to bar any speech or expression it wishes. However, what is a legal right isn't necessarily ethically right.

Are they publishers, with the freedom-of-the-press right to curate their content however they want, or platform providers with the responsibility to allow anyone their free-speech-rights?

Suppression of speech some -- in particular, the federal government -- may consider hateful or incitement is precisely the speech the 1st amendment was intended to protect.

So, if it were a 'Muslim' web site promoting hate & terrorism, would you feel the same way?
Yes. Without reservation.

Free speech is a 1st A right under the government's house; private business has no obligation for 1st A rights.
As, I said. Any private business has the legal right to permit or to bar any speech or expression it wishes. However, what's legal isn't necessarily ethical.
If I own a house, and Sue comes into my house and starts saying things I find objectionable, I have the legal right to tell her to either be quiet or to leave my property.
What if I own the apartment building in which Sue lives? If she starts saying things I find objectionable, I have the legal right to tell her to either stop or to leave my property when her lease is up. But is it right for me to do so?
What if I own every rental property in town and 90% of the rental properties in the county and the land her employer leases to operate. Sue starts saying things to my other tenants that I find objectionable. I have the legal right to evict her and bar her from setting foot on my property. Is it right for me to do so? That's Facebook. That's Twitter. That's Youtube. That's PayPal.

Forum List

Back