Snowden reportedly has blueprint on how NSA operates

The only evidence on this front is Snowden's word that this didn't happen. Now I'm not suggesting that we simply accept what he says as gospel truth, but it is the only evidence that we have on the subject. You can say the speculation is solid, but that doesn't really mean any more than the speculation itself.

If you were calling the shots and if you knew he had some passwords (for example) on his laptops ... would you change the passwords?

Change the passwords on his laptops? I'm not sure I understand the question.

If he had passwords on his laptop that could be used to access top secret information. And you had the power to change those passwords to safeguard that information ... would you "speculate" that those password-protections have been compromised?

Of course you would.

It's a very safe bet.

So all speculations were not created equal. And speculating that the Chinese and the Russians now have absolutely everything he had on his laptops is a very reasonable speculation.

He should. He should blow the lid of the whole stasi organization.

The dude needs to shut his trap before he causes us real damage abroad, if he hasn't done so already.

I am sure his damn hard drive was cloned almost immediately by the Chinese and Russian governments.

Another reason he needs to be brought back and fully prosecuted.

I agree. Maybe we can't be 100% certain of this. But sometimes 99.999% sure is good enough.

If you were calling the shots and if you knew he had some passwords (for example) on his laptops ... would you change the passwords?

If he had passwords on his laptop that could be used to access top secret information. And you had the power to change those passwords to safeguard that information ... would you "speculate" that those password-protections have been compromised?

Of course you would.

It's a very safe bet.

So all speculations were not created equal. And speculating that the Chinese and the Russians now have absolutely everything he had on his laptops is a very reasonable speculation.

As I said before, the administration operating under the assumption of a worst-case scenario for them is not the same as trying to pass off speculation as fact.

Of course you would.

It's a very safe bet.

As I said before, the administration operating under the assumption of a worst-case scenario for them is not the same as trying to pass off speculation as fact.

Agreed. I suppose 99% sure is still "speculation" by definition.
Rate your own certainty on a scale of 0 to 100. (with 0 being absolutely sure that the Chinese and Russians have gotten no information from his laptop and 100 being absolutely certain they have.)

And what number do you have to achieve before you are willing to support holding the guy accountable?

Last edited:

Of course you would.

It's a very safe bet.

Rate your own certainty on a scale of 0 to 100. (with 0 being absolutely sure that the Chinese and Russians have gotten no information from his laptop and 100 being absolutely certain they have.)

What is your 99% speculation based on? The nature of government is jealousy and power-grabbing, so I wouldn't be surprised if some attempt would have been made on the laptops. However, I can't say with any certainty how secure the laptops are in and of themselves, or how secure Snowden kept them. So to give some kind of percentage on this issue would be completely arbitrary.

What I will say is that Snowden's giving this information to the press, who could properly vet the information and decide what is and is not important to national security, makes me more likely to trust his not willingly turning around and giving this information to the Chinese or Russian governments. Now that doesn't mean that he didn't, of course, but it would seem to contradict what we know of him so far.

What is your 99% speculation based on? The nature of government is jealousy and power-grabbing, so I wouldn't be surprised if some attempt would have been made on the laptops. However, I can't say with any certainty how secure the laptops are in and of themselves, or how secure Snowden kept them. So to give some kind of percentage on this issue would be completely arbitrary.

What I will say is that Snowden's giving this information to the press, who could properly vet the information and decide what is and is not important to national security, makes me more likely to trust his not willingly turning around and giving this information to the Chinese or Russian governments. Now that doesn't mean that he didn't, of course, but it would seem to contradict what we know of him so far.

Snowden didn't have an exit strategy. I would think that a careful, thoughtful person would have thought things out well enough beforehand to not be stuck in an airport lounge all this time. Doesn't engender a lot of confidence. On the other hand - he's obviously very smart IT-wise. But there is no way - NO WAY, he could secure those laptops against the Russians and Chinese under these conditions.

My 99% is really less about what I think of Snowden and more about what I think of the intent and the capabilities of the Chinese and the Russians.

Truth is the best disinfectant and this slimy and corrupt government is in huge need of disinfecting.

Revealing that the government's been collecting all this data is one thing. It's something entirely different to reveal how it's done. On one hand, he's a whistleblower...but now he's heading towards full-blown treason.

As much as i hate the NSA having all this power, we need this type of surveillance to keep us safe from harm. As long as the organization with the power is regulated and kept in check, it's not a problem.

Snowden didn't have an exit strategy. I would think that a careful, thoughtful person would have thought things out well enough beforehand to not be stuck in an airport lounge all this time. Doesn't engender a lot of confidence. On the other hand - he's obviously very smart IT-wise. But there is no way - NO WAY, he could secure those laptops against the Russians and Chinese under these conditions.

My 99% is really less about what I think of Snowden and more about what I think of the intent and the capabilities of the Chinese and the Russians.

He probably didn't expect his passport to be revoked so quickly. Again, I ask what you base your assertion that he couldn't secure his laptops? He worked for the NSA, so it's certainly conceivable that these laptops are as secure as any laptops on the planet. I don't know, however, and I'd venture to guess you don't either.

Sure there is.

Don’t bring the damn data into another country in the first place. Simple.

Now, do you KNOW that he had that data with him? I would doubt that he did because carrying that kind of info around would be dangerous as hell.

No it shouldn't. He should be given an award for letting the world know what the bully is doing.

Well, he has shared everything he has with the Chinese and Russians....
Does that count?

Purely speculation on your part.

What we know to be true is that he released information to the press, who then sifted through this information to decide what could safely be reported on and what could not. If he wanted to do as you allege then he could have done so in the first place and at a fairly nice price too.

Exactly. If he was really trying to be nefarious here he would have told no one anything and simply sold the data for a damn fine price. Could have retired in the Caribbean and dies fat and happy. Instead, he is on the run for his life.

Forum List

Back