Singapore & Norway tops ranking of most country beloved by expats

I know a doctor in Singapore. He just loves it, except for earthquakes and tsunamis.

He just loves it, except for earthquakes and tsunamis.

I lived in Singapore for ten years and experienced not a single earthquake or tsunami. When precisely did this doctor live there?

Last edited:

I lived in Singapore for ten years and experienced not a single earthquake or tsunami. When precisely did this doctor live there?

Singapore ranks high on the economic freedom index. Is it true that they have strict laws regarding public spaces - such as fines for not flushing public toilets or chewing gum?

Singapore ranks high on the economic freedom index. Is it true that they have strict laws regarding public spaces - such as fines for not flushing public toilets or chewing gum?

The chewing gum fine is highly exaggerated. It's true that chewing gum in public is an offence. But It's never enforced unless someone spits the gum out on the street or other public places.

Gum is sold openly in shops.

The chewing gum fine is highly exaggerated. It's true that chewing gum in public is an offence. But It's never enforced unless someone spits the gum out on the street or other public places.

Abiding by strict cleanliness rules for shared spaces in exchange for economic freedom? - sounds like a fair trade to me. I'm just interested, not critical. What about the toilet flushing?

Abiding by strict cleanliness rules for shared spaces in exchange for economic freedom? - sounds like a fair trade to me. I'm just interested, not critical. What about the toilet flushing?

In ten years living in Singapore, I never had a cop follow me into the toilet. That being said, police in Singapore are nearly invisible. You can spend an entire vacation in Singapore and never see one ... unlike a tourist in New York. While police presence in Singapore is remarkably low-key, they are quick to respond to the first signs of any trouble.

Singapore's conformity and orderliness is less a result of a police state rather than a reflection of the Singaporeans themselves, who tend to be reserved and law-abiding people.

Forum List

Back