Showroom shock! Dealer jacks up truck’s MSRP 43% amid auto industry crisis

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
A New Jersey auto dealer is selling a new Ford Bronco for a staggering 43 percent above the manufacturer’s suggested retail price, as inflation reaches historic levels and auto inventory shortages wreak havoc on consumer wallets.

A New York City man expressed his truckin’ outrage on social media this week after he found a 2021 Ford Bronco at the Old Bridge dealer with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $34,855 being sold instead for $49,855 – a “market adjustment” of $15,000.

car-prices-inflation-2.jpg

Ford, GM tell their dealers to stop ripping off car buyers — or else

I guess dealers are making hay while the sun shines, why should they suffer because Ford/GM can't send them the inventory necessary?

LOL.....If you are rube enough to pay the up-charge then you get what you get. ;)

I mean if they want to pay 50K for what looks like a old International Scout II then who are we to get in their way. ;)

Yep. And this sort of stupidity is why I hope they raise sales taxes on these idiots to 100% of retail; might as well let the local govts cash in on rampant moronism too.

A New Jersey auto dealer is selling a new Ford Bronco for a staggering 43 percent above the manufacturer’s suggested retail price, as inflation reaches historic levels and auto inventory shortages wreak havoc on consumer wallets.

A New York City man expressed his truckin’ outrage on social media this week after he found a 2021 Ford Bronco at the Old Bridge dealer with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $34,855 being sold instead for $49,855 – a “market adjustment” of $15,000.

car-prices-inflation-2.jpg

Ford, GM tell their dealers to stop ripping off car buyers — or else

I guess dealers are making hay while the sun shines, why should they suffer because Ford/GM can't send them the inventory necessary?

LOL.....If you are rube enough to pay the up-charge then you get what you get. ;)

A blue sticker means it's a dealer stock unit. It's the dealer's to sell for whatever anyone will pay for it. There are a lot more of us who want these Broncos than Ford has been able yet to build. If you want to just walk into a dealership, buy a Bronco, and drive off with it the same day, it's going to cost you. Supply and demand is like that.

I cannot honestly object to a dealer charging whatever he thinks he can get for one of his rightful stock units.

Where markups have become a problem is that those of us who order these trucks face long waits. I ordered mine in October, and my dealer predicted that it would probably arrive around June. Some people reserved theirs the first day reservations were opened, converted their reservations to orders as soon as ordering opened, and have now been waiting more than a year and a half. Some customers are getting their Broncos delivered within a month or two of ordering. There seems to be no rational order to which customer-ordered Broncos are being built and delivered in what sequence.

And what has happened is that some people, who ordered their Broncos, waiting a long time for them, when it finally comes in, that's when the dealer informs them that now the price is going to have a heavy markup added to it. That's just rotten, and if it's not illegal, it should be. If you walk on to a dealer's lot, and want to buy a vehicle off the lot that day, you pay what the dealer asks. If you don't like the price that one dealer is asking, then you're perfectly free to walk off and see if you can find another dealer who will give you a better deal.

Not so when you order a custom vehicle based on the price you're lead at the time to believe it will cost, commit to buying that vehicle from that dealer, wait several months, (maybe even a year or more), and then find out at the last minute that the dealer is going to screw you out of a huge market that wasn't disclosed at the time the order was placed. At that point, walking away from the deal and trying to find a better deal from another dealer, means getting back in line, waiting another many months, risking the same thing happening again.

To order my Bronco, my wife and I drove an inconvenient distance, and braved the Bay Area, to go to a dealership that has a reputation for not pulling this sort of bullshit.

Last edited:
A blue sticker means it's a dealer stock unit. It's the dealer's to sell for whatever anyone will pay for it. There are a lot more of us who want these Broncos than Ford has been able yet to build. If you want to just walk into a dealership, buy a Bronco, and drive off with it the same day, it's going to cost you. Supply and demand is like that.

I cannot honestly object to a dealer charging whatever he thinks he can get for one of his rightful stock units.

Where markups have become a problem is that those of us who order these trucks face long waits. I ordered mine in October, and my dealer predicted that it would probably arrive around June. Some people reserved theirs the first day reservations were opened, converted their reservations to orders as soon as ordering opened, and have now been waiting more than a year and a half. Some customers are getting their Broncos delivered within a month or two of ordering. There seems to be no rational order to which customer-ordered Broncos are being built and delivered in what sequence.

And what has happened is that some people, who ordered their Broncos, waiting a long time for them, when it finally comes in, that's when the dealer informs them that now the price is going to have a heavy markup added to it. That's just rotten, and if it's not illegal, it should be. If you walk on to a dealer's lot, and want to buy a vehicle off the lot that day, you pay what the dealer asks. If you don't like the price that one dealer is asking, then you're perfectly free to walk off and see if you can find another dealer who will give you a better deal.

Not so when you order a custom vehicle based on the price you're lead at the time to believe it will cost, commit to buying that vehicle from that dealer, wait several months, (maybe even a year or more), and then find out at the last minute that the dealer is going to screw you out of a huge market that wasn't disclosed at the time the order was placed. At that point, walking away from the deal and trying to find a better deal from another dealer, means getting back in line, waiting another many months, risking the same thing happening again.

To order my Bronco, my wife and I drove an inconvenient distance, and braved the Bay Area, to go to a dealership that has a reputation for not pulling this sort of bullshit.
LOL....Enjoy your less capable Scout II.....Hopefully it won't rust as bad as my Scout II did. ;)

Forum List

Back