Should the mods/admins enforce Zone 2 Rules in the Politics Forum?

Should the Political Forum not allow flaming/name calling?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe we could have a separate CDZ Politics forum. Kind of like the Political Satire forum.
To be honest I think if we were to try and enforce the Zone 2 rules it would be a sea of pink. But a CDZ forum could work. We could ban the troublemakers from that forum entirely.

If you could, it would help. A lot. :eusa_pray:

I'd love to see that...check for cobwebs every month or so...

Maybe we could have a separate CDZ Politics forum. Kind of like the Political Satire forum.
To be honest I think if we were to try and enforce the Zone 2 rules it would be a sea of pink. But a CDZ forum could work. We could ban the troublemakers from that forum entirely.

Go with the pink...adding a forum will fix nothing. If pinkies don't learn...then they will forever be pink and the forum is improved.

But, but DUDE! You would be one of the first!:lol:

I joke around too much. If the rules were too strictly enforced I'd never get a post through. :D

Go with the pink...adding a forum will fix nothing. If pinkies don't learn...then they will forever be pink and the forum is improved.

Forums rely on traffic.

I've seen a forum try to do that on a gaming/TCG forum back in 2005, but it failed. The perpetual troublemakers and louts came back under various accounts, and a lot of those classless people reacted angrily to their trolling getting them banned.

The trolling is a problem. I can't have a quality discussion without two or more partisans/trolls wrecking the thread. A secondary forum like the one WestWall mentioned would be a step in the right direction, and I would frequent that part quite a bit.

Forums rely on traffic.

I've seen a forum try to do that on a gaming/TCG forum back in 2005, but it failed. The perpetual troublemakers and louts came back under various accounts, and a lot of those classless people reacted angrily to their trolling getting them banned.

The trolling is a problem. I can't have a quality discussion without two or more partisans/trolls wrecking the thread. A secondary forum like the one WestWall mentioned would be a step in the right direction, and I would frequent that part quite a bit.

Go with the pink. Decency will bring in more members than those who get expelled. What makes you think people won't go pink in a cdz politics forum.

If I find people overly offensive I just put them ignore freedom of speech also protects stupid and offensive speech that doesn't mean I have to read it though I currently have eight on there.

Last edited:

Nah...I can follow the rules...if you recall, when I first came on board...I was nice. The wild west nature of USMB and the rampant racism is why I changed.

Go with the pink. Decency will bring in more members than those who get expelled. What makes you think people won't go pink in a cdz politics forum.

If the pink option is chosen, probably more than half the USMB membership will get gone. If I am wrong, please correct me. Forums need traffic, so nuking more than 30% of your membership quickly goes against that. Personally I would subtly and gradually change the forum, making the atmosphere increasingly inhospitable for trolls, partisan hacks, and the like. Take out some of the more vocal trolls and hacks first, increasing the rate ever so slightly over time, and with every nudge people will adapt to the change.

Maybe.

Sometimes it takes healing a problem slowly, than taking a drastic action early on. People who go to the CDZ and break the rules—knowingly or not—are undoubtedly dealt with by staff.

If the pink option is chosen, probably more than half the USMB membership will get gone. If I am wrong, please correct me. Forums need traffic, so nuking more than 30% of your membership quickly goes against that. Personally I would subtly and gradually change the forum, making the atmosphere increasingly inhospitable for trolls, partisan hacks, and the like. Take out some of the more vocal trolls and hacks first, increasing the rate ever so slightly over time, and with every nudge people will adapt to the change.

Maybe.

Sometimes it takes healing a problem slowly, than taking a drastic action early on. People who go to the CDZ and break the rules—knowingly or not—are undoubtedly dealt with by staff.

You have no faith in your fellow members. Rule with an iron fist...root out those who won't follow the rules and everything will come down. Most people that get into the flame wars around here are only responding in kind. Get rid of the idiots and quality members will come. Or, keep it the same and we will get more new members like warwulf. Again, it comes down to what kind of forum the admins want.

You have no faith in your fellow members. Rule with an iron fist...root out those who won't follow the rules and everything will come down. Most people that get into the flame wars around here are only responding in kind. Get rid of the idiots and quality members will come. Or, keep it the same and we will get more new members like warwulf. Again, it comes down to what kind of forum the admins want.

Not the majority I don't. If a forum rules with an iron fist the membership will fear and respect or hate. Singling out the worst of the offenders and using them as examples would likely help. I think the goals in your and my ideas is the same, but I feel being more careful and subtle... and gradual... is the way to go. Staff deals with enough s*** over members complaining about the littlest things, so just imagine what happens if most of the literal trolls got taken out within a short period of time.

In my own personal opinion, there's got to be a fine line. A balance. In the politics forum I see some of the most hateful, vicious, partisan, cruel and immature crap out there. And I want to verbally hurt them, but I don't, because that just adds to the toxic negativity. I feel people should live by a certain code, and set the example. Imagine if some people joined together and did what it took to bring about positive influence.

Ultimately it is solely up to Staff, and the Admins. It's their boat, and their say. If we members want to bring about change, there are ways we can do so lawfully.

I thought Nutz wanted to rid the board of racists and that was going to solve everything.

Politics evokes emotional responses, This board has strongly opinionated people. Mods and admin don't need to police every thread every waking moment. Conduct yourself as you will.

Nah...I can follow the rules...if you recall, when I first came on board...I was nice. The wild west nature of USMB and the rampant racism is why I changed.

That's true for a lot of us. I agree that if the board were cleaned, we'd get a higher class of clientele.

Please, admin, mods, please end the garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Forums rely on traffic.

I agree; hyper-partisan trolls do ruin good threads. I can't stand it when they waltz right into a pyrfyctly good, reasonable discussion and begin spewing their hatred everywhere. It's an abomination to the high level of intellectual discourse some of us are capable of.

That said, what would be posted in the Politics CDZ that can't be posted in the CDZ we have already?

I thought Nutz wanted to rid the board of racists and that was going to solve everything.

Politics evokes emotional responses, This board has strongly opinionated people. Mods and admin don't need to police every thread every waking moment. Conduct yourself as you will.

It will. Get rid of the racists and the forum would be 100% better.

There is this discussion in the Politics forum;

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/366180-does-any-real-discussion-happen-on-usmb-or-just-insults-namecalling-and-lies.html

From what I can gather there is a bipartisan interest in cleaning it up by having the mods/admins enforce the Zone 2 Rules to eliminate the useless flaming and trolling.

So the intent of this poll is to find out who is interested in having a Political forum where flaming is not allowed?

The mods and admins can weigh in with their opinions since this impacts them too.

Please note that if you vote for cleaning it up you will be expected to clean up your own act too.

Thank you for your participation.
DT

Yes. Absolutely yes!

And which racists would that be? That is the problem. Who is judge and jury?

You know them when they spew their nonsense. I am not saying ban the raging racist immediately. Give them a chance to clean up their act...but when they spew their nonsense...gone! When they come back and do it again...gone!

Pretty simple.

One thing that should be noted is that the hypothetical rules being discussed shouldn't be used politically.

It would be dangerous if someone leaning more to the Right or Left manipulated the rules to suit his or her own political comforts...

I think flaming should only be in the FZ. If you want to attack a person's position in politics or their post, so be it. If you want to have a heated political debate fine. There is no need for name calling, flaming, and trolling. Mainly because it drives people away and diminishes quality conversations. Like I said in that link, I used to post in politics frequently until I got sick of the same trolls derailing every conversation with insults and hyper-partisan rhetoric. It's fine if people's minds are made up, but then you have to realize that and debate to discuss the issue rather than to prove who is right. The best debaters are those willing to listen to logical, rational, fact-based arguments with an open mind. So much of what is posted, is not fact-based, but bias politically so it is tough to weed through it.

It will. Get rid of the racists and the forum would be 100% better.

Then learn to ignore them and stop encouraging them with replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back