Should taxpayers bail out 3rd coast if BP does not?

Should taxpayers bail out 3rd coast if BP does not?

• Yes

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
I am playing Devil's advocate here....but it looks like the Devil might be winning.... ;)

Reading through your post, I'd definately say you were possessed by something.

LA has refineries, because it has a lot of oil, and Venezuelan Crude (heavy) can be imported up the river. Refinery products are shipped via pipeline from LA throughout the Eastern USA.

Ditto for Texas.

There are a few small refineries in New Jersey that import oil.

On the West Coast, the oil is poduced in CA or AK, and refined there.

WASHINGTON, DC, May 3 -- Three US Senate Democrats opposed to expanded oil and gas activity on the US Outer Continental Shelf introduced a bill on May 3 that would raise the liability limit for a company deemed responsible for an offshore spill to $10 billion from $75 million...
.... There is no such thing as a ‘Too Big to Spill’ oil well, which is why we need this economic protection in place.” .........

Economic Protection?

LMAO.

:lol::lol:

I am playing Devil's advocate here....but it looks like the Devil might be winning.... ;)

LA has refineries, because it has a lot of oil, and Venezuelan Crude (heavy) can be imported up the river. Refinery products are shipped via pipeline from LA throughout the Eastern USA.

Ditto for Texas.

okkkk

you tell me smarty pants....why would Louisianna support offshore drilling, and a state like Florida, would not? I'd say....follow the money....in La.

in Florida, the beaches/resorts/fishing means more financially, plus there is no state income tax/corporate tax that they could hit up the oil drillers in their area of the gulf with....there is for louisianna, i am presuming.

why do alaskans bid in to the oil drilling there? their state and the citizens, profit off of it...they get royalties...

i'm saying...please don't give me this sob story on how louisianna was just helping all us Americans out by allowing the drilling off their shores....i'm NOT stupid as some here seem to be or play the part...louisianna DID IT for the money the State pulls in and jobs it brings to THEIR OWN STATE.

Now, do i think the us gvt should help them out on this one? I don't know if they will need to....BP could cover the losses... if not them, then maybe the british gvt could be hit up....we, our gvt, certainly would be in this kind of situation imo....

our econpomy is in the toilet here....I don't see anyone helping these business owners here out? I don't think what they pay in taxes should go to helping anyone else but themselves first....when they are strong on their feet, then I think they would gladly help their neighbor. Like the emergency instructions on an airplane, the oxygen mask needs to go on to them first, before they can put it on the person next to them.

isn't it louisianna that wanted drilling in the gulf and isn't it louisianna that gets royalties from such drilling and isn't louisianna also benefitting from taxes on the oil industry?

Its actually everyone who uses petroleum who wanted drilling in the gulf.

I live in Arizona and dammit I want cheaper solar panels for my home and I want a damn electric car that doesn't cost more than my house and one that goes more than 50 mph.

this oil dependence is just horrible and we have to figure out how to get from under that boot.

I'm not sure how you plan on making solar panels without petroleum.

If your answer is no, please explain why the residents of the gulf coast should have to bear such a grossly unequal burden in the production of oil.
We already bailed you out after your mayor bungled Hurricane Katrina.

Nobody is forcing you to live in Louisiana, below sea level. You want to live in a disaster-prone region for "the culture?" You pay for it.

Last edited:

Ditto for Texas.

okkkk

you tell me smarty pants....why would Louisianna support offshore drilling, and a state like Florida, would not? I'd say....follow the money....in La.

in Florida, the beaches/resorts/fishing means more financially, plus there is no state income tax/corporate tax that they could hit up the oil drillers in their area of the gulf with....there is for louisianna, i am presuming.

why do alaskans bid in to the oil drilling there? their state and the citizens, profit off of it...they get royalties...

i'm saying...please don't give me this sob story on how louisianna was just helping all us Americans out by allowing the drilling off their shores....i'm NOT stupid as some here seem to be or play the part...louisianna DID IT for the money the State pulls in and jobs it brings to THEIR OWN STATE.

Now, do i think the us gvt should help them out on this one? I don't know if they will need to....BP could cover the losses... if not them, then maybe the british gvt could be hit up....we, our gvt, certainly would be in this kind of situation imo....

our econpomy is in the toilet here....I don't see anyone helping these business owners here out? I don't think what they pay in taxes should go to helping anyone else but themselves first....when they are strong on their feet, then I think they would gladly help their neighbor. Like the emergency instructions on an airplane, the oxygen mask needs to go on to them first, before they can put it on the person next to them.

You think that the US economy is the only one in the toilet? I got news for ya.... so is Britain's so you won't find the UK handing over any cash. Nor should they. La wanted the drilling... along with the reward comes the risk.

Ditto for Texas.

okkkk

Louisiana is spelled with 1 N.

I live in Arizona and dammit I want cheaper solar panels for my home and I want a damn electric car that doesn't cost more than my house and one that goes more than 50 mph.

this oil dependence is just horrible and we have to figure out how to get from under that boot.

I'm not sure how you plan on making solar panels without petroleum.

Where was Obama running with that spear when you shot the photo you're using for your avatar? Doesn't matter of course, just curious. I'm sure that we the tax payers paid to get him to wherever he was.......... his homeland maybe?

isn't it louisianna that wanted drilling in the gulf and isn't it louisianna that gets royalties from such drilling and isn't louisianna also benefitting from taxes on the oil industry?

Stop your whining and grow the fuck up!

BP will. The question is really a nonissue.

Why do you assume they will? The LAW says they are limited to $75,000,000 for damages other than clean up. Exxon drug Alaskan fisherman through court for 20 years.

Why on Earth would you assume BP will just hand over billions - esp. since the law may very well state they don't have to?

Do you generally go through life expecting problems will certainly 100% be solved by the responsible parties?

They will if some of the board members start swinging from trees.

If your answer is no, please explain why the residents of the gulf coast should have to bear such a grossly unequal burden in the production of oil.

why? you haven't explained yet why 50% of us bear the cost of running the US of KKKA while the other fifty per cent of you bums don't pay for nutting, I don't think you should be driving down my freeway.

Assuming that one buys the gas, one is paying for the road, Willow.

Ditto for Texas.

okkkk

Louisiana is spelled with 1 N.

thanks! I had no idea how it was spelled (even though I used to live there as a child) and my spell check was not on....

why? you haven't explained yet why 50% of us bear the cost of running the US of KKKA while the other fifty per cent of you bums don't pay for nutting, I don't think you should be driving down my freeway.

Assuming that one buys the gas, one is paying for the road, Willow.

assuming one OVER PAYS their social security taxes on every dime they earn....so that the SS surplus goes to paying for what income taxes are suppose to pay for in the budget....EVERYONE WORKING pays taxes to support this country....then there is gas taxes paid for the roads, cigarette taxes which pay for other people's children's healthcare, liquor taxes, and corporate taxes that they pay by buying things from the corporation...since we all know that corps just put the taxes they opwe in to the price of the product being sold....

the whole premise that only 50% of the people in this country pay taxes is just a LIE....put forth by the lying, whining, wealthy and their pawns.

Ditto for Texas.

okkkk

You think that the US economy is the only one in the toilet? I got news for ya.... so is Britain's so you won't find the UK handing over any cash. Nor should they. La wanted the drilling... along with the reward comes the risk.

You think if exxon had an oil rig in British waters and it exploded and ruined every shoreline in europe, and exxon went belly up trying to pay for the remidiation that people would not then sue or go after the us gvt to help pay for damages?

I think they would....after all, it could be said that exxon was only getting the oil so they could supply the us government and its citizens with it....yahdeedah...

.let's just say, it would not surprise me in the least if suits were placed against them if BP doesn't own up to their promises....especially in this day and era of law suits.

Care4all
the whole premise that only 50% of the people in this country pay taxes is just a LIE....put forth by the lying, whining, wealthy and their pawns.

When I saw that article I choked with laughter, everyone pays taxes in the USA in some form or another regardless of what other name it goes by, ie: fees, penalties,tolls etc. These people putting out this garbage only serves to stir up the natives into a feeding frenzy for their own agendas.

Care4all

When I saw that article I choked with laughter, everyone pays taxes in the USA in some form or another regardless of what other name it goes by, ie: fees, penalties,tolls etc. These people putting out this garbage only serves to stir up the natives into a feeding frenzy for their own agendas.

Fact is almost 50 percent of Americans do not pay federal income tax.

Care4all

Does that 50 percent include children, elderly, retired, stay-at-home parents, convicts, disabled, sickly, or otherwise unemployable?

Care4all

Well, that said Lonestar, I will do more research, it just seems that 50% of the citizens, not paying Federal income tax, is to me unfathomable, but I'll see and may be enlightened.
Damn, I wish I knew everything, I keep telling the wife I do, but she gets stomach cramps from laughing so hard.

Last edited:
Care4all

So what? Income taxes collected don't even pay for A THIRD of what congress spends in the budget?

Every DIME of Social Security SURPLUS TAXES that MOST ALL of the working class pays on every dime they make is going to pay for what income taxes should have paid for....

so these people ARE PAYING for the spending in the budget.

In addition to this, the WEALTHIEST get every standard deduction that these people took when filing their income taxes....for a couple the first 20 grand of so that one makes is not taxable, whether it is a kazillionaire, or the poorest aqmong us....

the wealthy don't pay taxes on the first $20 grand they make either....the poor making only 20 grand per couple is NOT getting anything special that the rich did not get....they just were not fortunate enough to make more than the $20 grand, where it would be taxed.

Forum List

Back