Should Jury Duty Be Mandatory??

Should Jury Duty Be Mandatory?

• Total voters

It this is really true, that is a bit over the top. Shackles???

"They treated my daughter like she was a serial killer, and I don't understand that at all," he said.

Federal marshals showed up and arrested his daughter Kelsey while she was attending a college class Tuesday and brought her before Federal Judge David Hittner.

"They handcuffed her and put shackles around her waist and shackles around her feet in front of all her classmates," Gloston said.

What shocked Gloston more than what happened, was why.

"I found out that she missed jury duty," he said.
if you get a summons for jury duty and dont show up, you will be in contempt of court
and as to how they treated her during the arrest is standard

Doesn't mean I have to think it is a right way to treat her.

It this is really true, that is a bit over the top. Shackles???

"They treated my daughter like she was a serial killer, and I don't understand that at all," he said.

Federal marshals showed up and arrested his daughter Kelsey while she was attending a college class Tuesday and brought her before Federal Judge David Hittner.

"They handcuffed her and put shackles around her waist and shackles around her feet in front of all her classmates," Gloston said.

What shocked Gloston more than what happened, was why.

"I found out that she missed jury duty," he said.
if you get a summons for jury duty and dont show up, you will be in contempt of court

Handcuffs and shackles are standard for missing jury duty?:cuckoo:

I wonder what they would do if she spit on the sidewalk? Tasers and dogs?

Poll to follow..

I received a jury duty summons in the mail yesterday. :doubt: While I am all for ''doing our duty'', I started wondering, should jury duty be mandatory? Should we be threatened with jail time and a fine?

Discuss please...

It is mandatory, You will face a penalty if you do not get an approved excuse and skip out.

Poll to follow..

I received a jury duty summons in the mail yesterday. :doubt: While I am all for ''doing our duty'', I started wondering, should jury duty be mandatory? Should we be threatened with jail time and a fine?

Discuss please...

It is mandatory, You will face a penalty if you do not get an approved excuse and skip out.

Yes, I know. This is my 5th round.

My question is do you feel it should be mandatory..

Handcuffs and shackles are standard for missing jury duty?:cuckoo:

I wonder what they would do if she spit on the sidewalk? Tasers and dogs?
LOL

standard for ANY arrest

Please tell me why I don't see shackles on this arrestee.

alg_oj-arrest.jpg

Poll to follow..

Discuss please...

yes
i would want a large group to have to choose from to find a jury of my peers should i ever face prosecution
and especially if i'm not guilty

yes
i would want a large group to have to choose from to find a jury of my peers should i ever face prosecution
and especially if i'm not guilty

I think you would either way. Plenty of people love to serve on juries.

Interesting timing on this thread. At the beginning of the month, I was called to jury duty for a pre-meditated first degree murder case. I cannot discuss the case, but after going through this I believe there should be an alternate service one could perform to satisfy the civic duty. Things that I can say: the trial lasted only two days and the defendent was found guilty. The prospective pool was around 30 people, with six selected and one alternate. They did not pay for parking downtown, but five blocks away they have a shared lot with the library where you can park free. I was very soured on the whole process and do not wish to ever go through it again. And the judge has a LOT of leeway as to whether he/she can hold you in contempt of court, so I would not advise anyone to go in and say that they will just vote guilty/not guilty, or any of the other suggestions proposed in this thread. Think about it: if you say "Judge, I will just vote not guilty regardless of the evidence", that is almost a definition of having contempt for the court.

The suggestion of claiming jury nullification is interesting, and may be the exception. I would ask a lawyer friend. And I kinda like the other suggestion of saying "seat me and take a chance". I do wish that I had known that you can request to be polled privately, but am not sure if that is available in every state.

Interesting timing on this thread. At the beginning of the month, I was called to jury duty for a pre-meditated first degree murder case. I cannot discuss the case, but after going through this I believe there should be an alternate service one could perform to satisfy the civic duty. Things that I can say: the trial lasted only two days and the defendent was found guilty. The prospective pool was around 30 people, with six selected and one alternate. They did not pay for parking downtown, but five blocks away they have a shared lot with the library where you can park free. I was very soured on the whole process and do not wish to ever go through it again. And the judge has a LOT of leeway as to whether he/she can hold you in contempt of court, so I would not advise anyone to go in and say that they will just vote guilty/not guilty, or any of the other suggestions proposed in this thread. Think about it: if you say "Judge, I will just vote not guilty regardless of the evidence", that is almost a definition of having contempt for the court.

The suggestion of claiming jury nullification is interesting, and may be the exception. I would ask a lawyer friend. And I kinda like the other suggestion of saying "seat me and take a chance". I do wish that I had known that you can request to be polled privately, but am not sure if that is available in every state.

Interesting. And I didn't realize you can't discuss a case once it is all over..??

Yes it should be mandatory, and I don't believe that ANYONE has ever just told a judge that they would find a defendant guilty regardless of the evidence if they were put on a jury. I just don't believe anyone is that stupid.

Yes it should be mandatory, and I don't believe that ANYONE has ever just told a judge that they would find a defendant guilty regardless of the evidence if they were put on a jury. I just don't believe anyone is that stupid.

You're probably right there. I think most of those type posts are ''tongue in cheek''.

Why do you feel it should be mandatory, and have you ever served on a jury?

Interesting. And I didn't realize you can't discuss a case once it is all over..??
Maybe because he hasn't been sentenced yet.
shrug.gif

shrug.gif

Oh. You don't have to go for that do you?

shrug.gif

Once you're released from jury duty, you're free to discuss the case. That's why when there is a high profile case, you see the jury members on the news the next night.

The Blagojevich jurors were a real hoot explaining why they let him off.

You're probably right there. I think most of those type posts are ''tongue in cheek''.

Yes, I have served on a jury once, and I got dismissed from jury duty once. I feel it should be mandatory b/c nothing in life is or should be free, and jury duty is a small price to pay for the guarantee that if we should ever find ourselves in need of a jury of our peers one will be there. And yes I believe people should be found in contempt of court and punished for failure to report. Certainly jail time is a little excessive, but a monetary fine should be levied.

Yes, I have served on a jury once, and I got dismissed from jury duty once. I feel it should be mandatory b/c nothing in life is or should be free, and jury duty is a small price to pay for the guarantee that if we should ever find ourselves in need of a jury of our peers one will be there. And yes I believe people should be found in contempt of court and punished for failure to report. Certainly jail time is a little excessive, but a monetary fine should be levied.

Can't disagree with that reasoning.

Forum List

Back