Should I be feeling bad about not attending an awards banquet?

tycho1572

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2016
I''m getting a lot of flack this year from people I like and respect because I've decided not to attend.
I'd much rather be out fishing than getting a pat on the back for doing my job and helping others.

Because this is a work event, and the flack I've been getting, I'm starting to question my decision.

I hate going to these events. What would you do?

There are different kinds of awards. If it truly recognizes things you've done and people you work with want to see you get, then I would go. If it is a touchy feely "team" award then yeah I would blow it off.

I''m getting a lot of flack this year from people I like and respect because I've decided not to attend.
I'd much rather be out fishing than getting a pat on the back for doing my job and helping others.

Because this is a work event, and the flack I've been getting, I'm starting to question my decision.

I'd put a cooler of beer, some pretzels and fishing gear on the pontoon boat and have a lovely day

They're pointless. Unfortunately, depending on the kind of company you work for, it may be necessary due to office politics.
I work in a hospital and have created unique position for myself. I routinely deal with issues outside of my job description.
My boss sometimes asks me to attend certain meetings in his place because he knows I have a good rapport with the directors and VP's. lol

I'd put a cooler of beer, some pretzels and fishing gear on the pontoon boat and have a lovely day
That's my plan. :)

Hell no. Not even free food and drinks make it worth it unless you're good friends with the people you work with. If fishing > than work nonsense, choose fishing.
I'm very close with the people I work with.
I had a another nurse tell me today I should go because she's going to be there.

Depends on whether your boss will care. And whether your gracious acceptance will help further your career in any way.

Hell no. Not even free food and drinks make it worth it unless you're good friends with the people you work with. If fishing > than work nonsense, choose fishing.
I had a another nurse tell me today I should go because she's going to be there.

Depends on whether your boss will care. And whether your gracious acceptance will help further your career in any way.

My boss has been sending me into meetings he's afraid to attend. Do you seriously think I should care about what he thinks? lol

I should also say my boss hasn't said anything about me not attending.

I''m getting a lot of flack this year from people I like and respect because I've decided not to attend....What would you do?
In many ways, this is no different than the annual "juggling act" most people face. I can't recall "everyone" I know didn't have at least one weekend in December when there were three or more parties at which they "really should at least make an appearance" and each was scheduled for the same Saturday night. I suspect a whole lot of folks have the same problem on St. Paddy's Day, Memorial Day weekend [1], July 4th, and so on....It's just a part of life.

What I'd do depends on whether I'd be the, or one of the, guest(s) of honor at the banquet.
  • If I'm among the guests being regaled, I'd make every effort to go. If a group of people have seen fit to honor me, the least I can do -- which happens also to be all that would be expected of me on that evening -- is return the courtesy by being present to show my genuine appreciation while they do so. Were there competing activities for my time during the banquet, I'd communicate that fact to the coordinators of the first event I'd attend so that if I'm obliged to speak, I would be called to do so before I had to leave for the second event.
  • If my attendance there will merely be my "having a good time socializing" whereby I'll simply be an attendee who's fee for attending will go to "support the cause," I'd more likely buy however many tickets I care to buy to be supportive, and then give them to people who actually want to go and either (1) weren'[t invited or (2) couldn't afford to buy a ticket.
So there you go. That's how I'd handle it. Good luck and have fun, whatever you decide to do.

Note:
  1. I know some folks -- much "bigger" socialites than I -- who are "sweating" which parties they'll attend during the Memorial Day weekend because each party occurs on a boat, so they can only commit to one of those events as there's no way to reliably stick to a schedule once you set foot on a boat for a party. What are you going to do? Leave just as things start "hopping" and the host decides to take the party to sea?

I told one of my friends I'd call him to let him know what he couldn't suss from training his binocs toward the one I'll be at. His wife agreed to call me if they were getting bored were "jonesing" for a better alternative. LOL

In my opinion, a get together is nice, but at the end of the day, awards are not necessary when they are not what pay the bills in the first place.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back