Should DUI be part of criminal background check for gun purchase?

Crawl back under your rock you loony lib. They CHOSE to break the law and drive drunk so don't tell us there is no criminal intent.

You just don't want to admit that you drive drunk and that makes you a public menace and undeserving of gun rights.

I'm a felon dumbass. I don't posess guns. And I don't drink more than 3 drinks if I have to drive. And if you think I'm a lib your judgement is severely flawed.

You SHOULD NOT be drinking AT ALL if you are going to DRIVE.

PERIOD.

In a perfect world. I take a cab quite frequently. But2 or 3 drinks over a couple hours with dinner is nill

Of course. Hell - People are routinely denied gun rights for NON-violent drug crimes like a 20 year old pot possession conviction. DUI is an extremely violent drug crime and evidence the criminal is a psychopath with no concern for the lives of others.

Should someone who openly admits he wants to shoot speeders be allowed to own a gun?

3 drinks is too many if consume in four hours or less.

DUI conviction should result in loss of gun ownership.

Alcohol metabolizes in your blood at a constant rate of 1 ounce per hour depending on your body weight and other health factors. So 3 in two hours is the equivalent of 1 and driving. And just fyi one beer is equivalent to one shot of whiskey

IMHO - A DUI shouldn't disqualify a person from owning a gun legally. Nor should a pot conviction.

However, a person should not be allowed to purchase a gun if they are obviously intoxicated at the time. We don't even have THAT restriction in the books. How crazy is that?

IMHO - A DUI shouldn't disqualify a person from owning a gun legally. Nor should a pot conviction.

However, a person should not be allowed to purchase a gun if they are obviously intoxicated at the time. We don't even have THAT restriction in the books. How crazy is that?

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can't just walk in a store and walk out with a gun can you? I thought it was a several day long process.

Alcohol metabolizes in your blood at a constant rate of 1 ounce per hour depending on your body weight and other health factors. So 3 in two hours is the equivalent of 1 and driving. And just fyi one beer is equivalent to one shot of whiskey

If you are right, and you body metabolizes quickly, you should be safe. But . . . if you get stopped and blow DUI or get hit with a PI, man up.

Let's see.

Putting guns into the hands of people with poor judgement.

Why does that not seem like a good idea? :eusa_shifty:

Everyone exercises poor judgement at some point in their life so get real.
Exactly, so if a kid gets caught on Federal property with a joint of pot ( felony ) should he be not allowed to own a gun - ever?

All of us exhibit poor judgement daily. The simple question should be: are you a threat to society. The Constitution says the right to bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED - lets not forget that! 98% of the drivers speed daily - that is poor judgement! Should their gun rights be taken?

getting caught?

or convicted?

there are reasonable exceptions to every part of the bill of rights. you can't put certain things on a billboard.
you can't sell certain things that are deceptive/unsafe
you can't search someone without a warrant EXCEPT under certain "reasonable" circumstances.
you can't do everything your religion demands under certain circumstances

Last edited:

If you are right, and you body metabolizes quickly, you should be safe. But . . . if you get stopped and blow DUI or get hit with a PI, man up.

I got a dui many years ago. It scared the hell out of me. As well as about 6k

After completing probation I bought a breathalizer and started testing myself at home regularly. I know my limits. ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can't just walk in a store and walk out with a gun can you? I thought it was a several day long process.

Yes you can. Well at least in Texas, not sure about other states.

You can walk out with your gun (drunk or high to the gills) in many states.

Wow. I thought all states had a "cooling off" period. Like the ultrasound laws for abortion. Just to give a person a chance to think it through.

I stand corrected

that's a really low bar

One would think so - wouldn't you?

Apparently it's too onerous for the NRA.

Wow. I thought all states had a "cooling off" period. Like the ultrasound laws for abortion. Just to give a person a chance to think it through.

I stand corrected

Well, in many, if not most, states this wait period is true for handguns, but hunting/target rifles and shotgun purchases, in many places, do not require anything but the ability to pay, they are cash and carry. And to be honest, I see little reason that this should change.

[

I got a dui many years ago. It scared the hell out of me. As well as about 6k

After completing probation I bought a breathalizer and started testing myself at home regularly. I know my limits. ;)

If you were smart, you'd just stop drinking. I've never been drunk in my life and haven't even touched booze except for a little when i was a dumb teen.

Forum List

Back