Shortage of 400,000 welders predicted in next 4 years

I was in Vocational Agriculture in high school. We not only learned about farming and animal husbandry (I had several Blue Ribbon animals at county fairs) but the trades.
Carpentry
Electrical wiring.
Plumbing.
Welding.
Blacksmithing.
Automotive Engineering (My best friend and I worked on cars at his home and came up with some beauties. Rebuilt a Straight-8 engine)
And just about anything else a farmer or rancher would need to know.

However, because I had taken typing in school, the Army felt my place was behind a desk and I never got to use my skills)

Pres.Trump is creating more jobs as usual. I guess that we all will soon get tired of all of these jobs he's creating

th
Industrial welder is a good paying career. The jobs start off paying around $30 to $50 per hour. And the course to be a welder is very simple. And if you get all of your certifications. You will not have any problem finding a job in that area. And if the job market slows down. You can easy find a job working temporarily at a muffler shop or wrought iron store until things picks up.

th
3jmbql.gif
TAMPA, Fla. - Big companies flock to Hillsborough Community College to woo students in the welding program. The stakes are high for welding recruiters.

"By the year 2024, we'll be over 400,000 shortage of welders in the United States," says Randy Kelley with Tampa Tank Inc. He says the industry is evolving. "One of the things that's been really big in the welding industry is the introduction of robotics."

That's where H.C.C. stays ahead of the curve. Administrators are putting advances in technology at the forefront of the curriculum. Lead welding instructor Logan Harry says today's welder needs to be more tech-savvy.

"We are buying new equipment. The industry is telling us the need and then we are providing the student with that ability," he explained.

Student Samuel Serrano says that type of hands-on, tech-based experience is hard to come by in a classroom setting.

"We even have a submerged arc welder that we've learned on, which is a semi-automated process that a lot of technical schools don't even touch on," he said.

It's not just the H.C.C. welding department keeping up with the times. Diesel technician student Bianca Melendez says you can't go far in the industry without a solid technology background.

"Maybe back in the day it was a possibility, but now everything is electrical. Everything is computer-based now," she offered.

Robert Half Recruiting's Michael Clemens says its education that's preparing students for a wealth of opportunity.

"Right now, it’s just this super-intense job market for technology. Employers who are moving quickly on hiring decisions are reaping the benefit of getting the top talent in our community."

Hillsborough Community College grads aren't having any problems finding jobs. The welding program boasts a job placement rate of 80% and the diesel tech program is at 100%.
Been to a muffler shop lately? Lost in time there buckwheat.
Performance Exhaust Shop Near Me - Upgrade for Ultimate Horsepower

High Performance | Chris' Service Muffler Shop, Auto Repair & Service

Yeah but Barry told kids that you better prepare for a career that includes food stamps because good factory jobs are gone. Wouldn't you think democrats would praise Trump instead of trying to impeach him?

Pres.Trump is creating more jobs as usual. I guess that we all will soon get tired of all of these jobs he's creating

th
Industrial welder is a good paying career. The jobs start off paying around $30 to $50 per hour. And the course to be a welder is very simple. And if you get all of your certifications. You will not have any problem finding a job in that area. And if the job market slows down. You can easy find a job working temporarily at a muffler shop or wrought iron store until things picks up.

th
3jmbql.gif
TAMPA, Fla. - Big companies flock to Hillsborough Community College to woo students in the welding program. The stakes are high for welding recruiters.

"By the year 2024, we'll be over 400,000 shortage of welders in the United States," says Randy Kelley with Tampa Tank Inc. He says the industry is evolving. "One of the things that's been really big in the welding industry is the introduction of robotics."

That's where H.C.C. stays ahead of the curve. Administrators are putting advances in technology at the forefront of the curriculum. Lead welding instructor Logan Harry says today's welder needs to be more tech-savvy.

"We are buying new equipment. The industry is telling us the need and then we are providing the student with that ability," he explained.

Student Samuel Serrano says that type of hands-on, tech-based experience is hard to come by in a classroom setting.

"We even have a submerged arc welder that we've learned on, which is a semi-automated process that a lot of technical schools don't even touch on," he said.

It's not just the H.C.C. welding department keeping up with the times. Diesel technician student Bianca Melendez says you can't go far in the industry without a solid technology background.

"Maybe back in the day it was a possibility, but now everything is electrical. Everything is computer-based now," she offered.

Robert Half Recruiting's Michael Clemens says its education that's preparing students for a wealth of opportunity.

"Right now, it’s just this super-intense job market for technology. Employers who are moving quickly on hiring decisions are reaping the benefit of getting the top talent in our community."

Hillsborough Community College grads aren't having any problems finding jobs. The welding program boasts a job placement rate of 80% and the diesel tech program is at 100%.
Been to a muffler shop lately? Lost in time there buckwheat.
Performance Exhaust Shop Near Me - Upgrade for Ultimate Horsepower

High Performance | Chris' Service Muffler Shop, Auto Repair & Service
It has become a parts hanging industry. Nuts, bolts, clamps...

Obviously the OP has never tried to make a living being a welder!!! Welding on occasional weekend projects is a dream compared to production welding. I did it for 6 months. Caught on fire almost daily, the pay sucked, had to buy all new clothes & shoes every week. Blinded by flash, very dirty, burned hair, skin, etc.

It's even worse welding overhead in a muffler shop holding heavy gear overhead standing under shower of molten metal metal all day. They should pay $100/hr for that hell, but they only pay $10.

Obviously the OP has never tried to make a living being a welder!!! Welding on occasional weekend projects is a dream compared to production welding. I did it for 6 months. Caught on fire almost daily, the pay sucked, had to buy all new clothes & shoes every week. Blinded by flash, very dirty, burned hair, skin, etc.

It's even worse welding overhead in a muffler shop holding heavy gear overhead standing under shower of molten metal metal all day. They should pay $100/hr for that hell, but they only pay $10.
I used to own a shop. Did auto repair most of my life. Did you know the average wage for a "tech" these days is less than $35K annually? Screw that. Family of 4? Poverty level.

I used to own a shop. Did auto repair most of my life. Did you know the average wage for a "tech" these days is less than $35K annually? Screw that. Family of 4? Poverty level.
Exactly. Then having to dress head to toe in heavy leather suit in hot humid Florida working with molten metal metal. Forget about it!

I'm a jack of all trades. I was raised to be independent don't depend on no pone. I worked on cars since I was 12 yrsold or younger. But now in these days, everything has been computerized. I use to worked on cars that you have to set the points, carbs and timing by hand. Then they went to electronic points modules and now computerized ignition system and fuel system. These cars don't even has a manual throttle. All catalytic converters has to be weld on. No air cannot get into the system. And custom exhaust system still needs to be weld. And in my post. I said that working in the automotive dept temporary. I done plumbing, roofing renovating homes, welding, and etc.. Only reason why I know so much. It is because my dad is from the great depression (Oklahoma). Time when you have to build your own homes.They used to put up a barns in one day.

How to Seize Your $300K Underwater Welding Salary This Year

Average General Motors Corporation Salary | PayScale

Do welding jobs really pay $50 to $60 an hour? - Welding - Reddit

Last edited:

Forum List

Back