Shaivism (Hinduism): Self-Control Bloom

Sep 22, 2013
Shaivism (also Saivam or Saivism) is one of the major branches of Hinduism along with Vaishnavism, Shaktism, and Smartism. It reveres Shiva as the Supreme Being (source of information: Wikipedia).

Shiva is the Hindu god of destruction and meditation and represents self-control.

In our modern age of high traffic anxieties (i.e., Wall Street, immigration, narcotics marketing, etc.), self-control is akin to governance.

Shaivism purports an adherence to self-awareness and how self-awareness is related to true power and omens of self-destruction.

The American cult-favourite film Heathers (Winona Ryder) explores the psycho-sociological forces that lead youngsters to wild acts of self-destruction, rebelliousness, and absurdism.

To understand how Shaivism impacts the modern world, we could investigate how modern culture shapes our view of mystical self-control etiquette.

Shaivism (Wikipedia)

Heathers (Film)

shiva[1].jpg

*sigh*
Shiva is sometimes referred to as Shiva Nataraj (Lord of the dance) and is often portrayed as a dancing figure.
He dances on a dwarf, who represents ignorance. Just as in Judaic traditions where Michael steps on the lord of darkness (ignorance & lies).
By treading the dwarf (Jesus was 4'6") underfoot, he is attempting to overcome ignorance in the world. Just as Michael is the Shiloh who overcomes and over turns the work of this adversary Lucifer, iconographs also show the archangel(top messenger) steping on Lucifers head.
The circle of flames in which he dances represents the cycle of time with no beginning and no end.
The dancing figure of Shiva represents the eternal energy which flows through the world. This continuous dance causes the pattern of day and night, the changing of the seasons, and the cycle of birth and death. He holds in one of his hands a drum on which he beats out the rhythm (frequency)of the universe.
The third eye (in the middle of his forehead) saved the world from darkness. Just as it's Moshiach who lifts the veil, so we might see the truth (Isaiah and Dan 10:21)
Third eye is said to be the Pineal gland I keep telling everyone is active in contracted physical light thus at Night is your best intuition and spiritual light (knowledge and truth) is thus enhanced in physical darkness..thus Solomon called this dew of the Night(Evening Star Michael).

The symbols associated with Shiva point to the fact that he has power over evil:
Clearly Shiva is the Archangel Michael.
In Hindu, "Shiva" is the witness, consciousness, vibration (Ma/heshv/ar).
Similar to my previous post that in Christianity: "Holy Spirit" (Pentecosts call Evening/Night Messenger like in Judaic traditions).
All three are symbolized by the Moon or Night reflection and 8 ray Evening Star (crossed out cross/Union Jack=symbol for birth and life).
Hence Daniels Vision of the NIGHT=Evening Star.
In a 7th century icon of the archangel Michael has a third eye on his forhead, similar to Hindu custom dot as a third eye.
The Hindu �Yantra� Portrays a Star of David in the center of a flower with eight pedals, the same number of points of Light in the Hebrew Messiah, and where the Arch(Messiah) and his seven angels(messengers)=8,
& were always symbolized by the same 8 pedal rossette.
BUDDHIST use this 8 point cross in their 'Wheel of Righteousness' and so does the CHURCH OF WORLD MESSIANITY (Izunome)for their symbol of faith.
In ancient Sumeria this symbol of the 8 ray star was the symbol for G-d, and the earliest Islamic symbols used this same eight ray star with the crescent moon to represent their faith under the Evening Star.

Mahesha or Maheshvar-the great Lord, "conqueror of death", is symbolized by the crescent moon (NIGHT)

THUS when Jews keep the seventh (Sheva)
day holy in remeberance of the name, that name is Sheva (Shiva), When they say the name is in the Torah portions then that name is in the Shevitz, when you eat the temple (Mikdash) bread you eat " the Shev" bread and drink the Man/is/Shevitz wine.
And when you focus on the holy city it's the same name, you just lose that name in transliteration of the original spelling of Shalem and HaShem the Malakh Tsadek (Melchizedek).
You really think only one culture holds the key to something as important as returning to ones inheritance, when it's obviously in all cultures as necessity in coming together as one??

Notes and Nets

That is indeed very interesting and comprehensive HaShev! It's awesome to see that someone is so versed in this stuff --- it can become rather esoteric and complicated, no?

I do agree with you that any philosophy that has satisfying breadth is most likely understood (and embraced) by many peoples.

I'm also glad my post stirred enough interest to warrant this level of investigation. I confess I was simply presenting a Shaivism face from India, but I'm intrigued by your Judaism references.

You know, during the counter-culture movement in America (the '60s), Eastern religions/philosophies such as Hinduism gained a following in the West, and even today many Western feminists cite the Hindu Goddess Kali (one of the wives of Shiva) in discussions about power and feminine rage.

Please check out my post about Shiva from religionforums.com:

Shiva: Traveller's Brain

Kali[1].jpg

Tears of a Clown

Here's a nice offbeat portrayal of Lord Shiva in the embrace of love and affection.

We don't automatically think of the pensive yogi-god as bestowing of great affections. Shiva seems to carry himself (and is portrayed as such in many vignettes/portraits) as an authority-figure over wisdom, governance, power, and transcendental meditation.

HaShev, what do you think of Shiva's dual nature as destroyer and entertainer? In fact, do you think Shiva is an entertainer at all? One of his manifestations is of Nataraja, a master of dance.

siva.jpg

Depends on the Hindi use of the word destroyer in this context.
The Hebrew uses terms like overturner, defeater, battle, arch strategist all against darkness (untruth &ignorance),wickedness-evil-lofty abusive kingdoms/nations, false prophet devotion, etc..
The ole destroying the creators of chaos in order to restore order.
We destroyed Nazis and the resulting restored Germany and world was
better off from it. We battled Japan and the result was a Better more orderly
Nation.
So destroying cancer to save the Body is a good kind of destruction, however without a central source and unified understanding of "how things are" then what is cancer becomes subjective. To the Cancer the Doctor removing it is it's nemesis cancer.
Until we define to the most finite definitions what is the power and source Essence of life is in order to know our place and direction, then we will always be subjectively declaring our own affiliation pride opinions of right and wrong -good or bad confusing over who's in line or far off.
In other words who's the Dr and who's the cancer is no longer fuzzy or walking a thin line.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back