Senator introduces bill to ban "loot boxes" and pay-to-win microtransactions...

aaronleland

Diamond Member
May 19, 2012
Senator Josh Hawley (R-MO) today announced a bill that would ban loot boxes and pay-to-win microtransactions in “games played by minors,” a broad label that the senator says will include both games designed for kids under 18 and games “whose developers knowingly allow minor players to engage in microtransactions.”

Hawley will introduce the bill, “The Protecting Children from Abusive Games Act,” to the U.S. Senate soon. In press materials announcing the bill, Hawley’s team brought up the Activision game Candy Crush as an egregious example of pay-to-win microtransactions thanks to its $150 “Luscious Bundle” that comes with a whole bunch of goodies. This bill will also likely apply to a host of online games that feature loot boxes and other ways in which players can spend money for real benefits.

“When a game is designed for kids, game developers shouldn’t be allowed to monetize addiction,” Hawley said in a press release. “And when kids play games designed for adults, they should be walled off from compulsive microtransactions. Game developers who knowingly exploit children should face legal consequences.”

Last fall, the Federal Trade Commission promised to investigate loot boxes following a letter from Senator Maggie Hassan (D-NH) that she wrote in the wake of 2017's string of games featuring the heavy usage of predatory microtransactions, such as Middle-earth: Shadow of War and Star Wars Battlefront II. Although some companies have pulled back on the practice, popular games like Overwatch, FIFA, and Apex Legends continue to make big money off randomized microtransactions. Many of those games are played by both adults and children.

Hawley, 39, has become known in Washington for criticizing major tech companies Facebook and Google, often accusing them of anti-conservative bias.

Is this really a priority for our lawmakers? Telling video game companies what imaginary items they can and can't sell? How about making video game companies create parental controls so parents become responsible for what their kids do in game? Oh, they already do that? :dunno:

I used to play an MMO years ago that offered microtransactions. One day I was on their forum, and read a thread from a mother who said her autistic son racked up hundreds of dollars on her credit card playing the game. She wasn't complaining to the company. She was explaining to another player how she first learned about the parental controls. BAM! Parental controls.

Senator Josh Hawley (R-MO) today announced a bill that would ban loot boxes and pay-to-win microtransactions in “games played by minors,” a broad label that the senator says will include both games designed for kids under 18 and games “whose developers knowingly allow minor players to engage in microtransactions.”

Hawley will introduce the bill, “The Protecting Children from Abusive Games Act,” to the U.S. Senate soon. In press materials announcing the bill, Hawley’s team brought up the Activision game Candy Crush as an egregious example of pay-to-win microtransactions thanks to its $150 “Luscious Bundle” that comes with a whole bunch of goodies. This bill will also likely apply to a host of online games that feature loot boxes and other ways in which players can spend money for real benefits.

“When a game is designed for kids, game developers shouldn’t be allowed to monetize addiction,” Hawley said in a press release. “And when kids play games designed for adults, they should be walled off from compulsive microtransactions. Game developers who knowingly exploit children should face legal consequences.”

Last fall, the Federal Trade Commission promised to investigate loot boxes following a letter from Senator Maggie Hassan (D-NH) that she wrote in the wake of 2017's string of games featuring the heavy usage of predatory microtransactions, such as Middle-earth: Shadow of War and Star Wars Battlefront II. Although some companies have pulled back on the practice, popular games like Overwatch, FIFA, and Apex Legends continue to make big money off randomized microtransactions. Many of those games are played by both adults and children.

Hawley, 39, has become known in Washington for criticizing major tech companies Facebook and Google, often accusing them of anti-conservative bias.

Is this really a priority for our lawmakers? Telling video game companies what imaginary items they can and can't sell? How about making video game companies create parental controls so parents become responsible for what their kids do in game? Oh, they already do that? :dunno:

JOSH HAWLEY 2020!

JOSH HAWLEY 2020!

You only hate on pay-to-win cuz you can't afford to win. :tongue:

JOSH HAWLEY 2020!

Actually, Warframe is a thing now. And I am sucking off the government titty...

JOSH HAWLEY 2020!

I started playing Warframe on my Switch. Didn't get that into it. Also, I keep running out of storage. I need to buy an SD card.

JOSH HAWLEY 2020!

I started playing Warframe on my Switch. Didn't get that into it. Also, I keep running out of storage. I need to buy an SD card.

Better on PC dude. Much better.

JOSH HAWLEY 2020!

Simple question, why can't you do something useful, productive, creative, novel?
(I'm retired and have had a successful career, you sound smart enough, but games are for kids)

After all the school shootings, I'd like laws banning all shooter video games.

Shooter video games are bigger in China and South Korea than here in the US...they do not have a problem with school shootings so it seems the games are not the problems.

Simple question, why can't you do something useful, productive, creative, novel?

I worked for 11 hours today. Now I'm getting drunk and high, while posting on a message board. I might play some video games, but not sure yet. I'll probably end the night by jerking off. Go to bed, and go back to work for another 11-12 hours tomorrow. Rinse, repeat. I think I earned playing video games today.

JOSH HAWLEY 2020!

Time to get deep.

I have a slew of emotional issues. Ones that a state sanctioned psychologist and a federal judge said impaired my ability to do those things in a meaningful capacity.

Meaning I have manic depression, bi-polar disorder, and PTSD. Not to mention I was recently diagnosed with autism. (News to me)

So why don't I do any of those things? Try wrestling with the chaos roiling about in your mind 24 hours a day 7 days a week, fighting to keep them from for driving you to commit suicide. Then imagine if you have any willpower to do anything else afterwards.

I use gaming as a way to cope. Gaming has prevented me from killing myself, many times. I'd much rather be gaming than contemplating my mortality.

(This TMI moment has been brought to you by Oddball 's weirdly satisfying clown avatar)

Forum List

Back