Scientists Think That New Planet Has Been Discovered Outside Our Galaxy

Interesting. I wonder if it hosts any life form.

There exist many tidal locked planets outside our solar system. Planets with eternal day on one side, eternal night on the other. Perhaps they host vampire civilizations on their night sides.

WTF news is that?
There's app 200 Billion Galaxies with 200 Billion stars each.
Not exactly news there's other planets.
That would be 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999% expected.
It guess it news they have gotten the capability to detect them.

What WOULD be news was if it was in the 'Goldilocks' zone (temperature tolerable) or had some other chemical or structural possibility of life.
`

Last edited:
Interesting. I wonder if it hosts any life form.

I pay no mind to this. If this is what I think, it was a one-off observation in another galaxy! M51 in Ursa Major. It could have been anything. And they admit they may never see another passing eclipse of the star again in our lifetimes to confirm it!

Great for selling news, I think it rather irresponsible to even make such claims, here is a picture I took of the Whirlpool galaxy about a decade ago where the alleged planet is, do you have any idea how far away that is?! :omg:

1635442941213.png

I pay no mind to this. If this is what I think, it was a one-off observation in another galaxy! M51 in Ursa Major. It could have been anything. And they admit they may never see another passing eclipse of the star again in our lifetimes to confirm it!

Great for selling news, I think it rather irresponsible to even make such claims, here is a picture I took of the Whirlpool galaxy about a decade ago where the alleged planet is, do you have any idea how far away that is?! :omg:

View attachment 557405
"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away".

In this case, a galaxy about 186,000,000,000,000,000,000 (186 quintillion) miles away. Or 186 billion billion miles.

NASA is good but they are not THAT good.

The Whirlpool Galaxy is 31 million light years away.

That means you are seeing it as it was 31 million years ago. Indeed "a long time ago".

In this case, a galaxy about 186,000,000,000,000,000,000 (186 quintillion) miles away. Or 186 billion billion miles.

NASA is good but they are not THAT good.
I'm not sure how they detected it. We may never be able to get there, but I guess we have a chance to see it one day.

I'm not sure how they detected it.

I'm pretty sure they detected a blip in the luminosity of a star there which they interpreted as a possible planet transiting across the face of the star lowering its brightness, and from the shape of the curve, infer the size of the object and its speed of orbit. Problem is that it was a one time event and the suggested orbit implies a very long time before it repeats to confirm the theory, so in effect, just amounts to a guess.

Forum List

Back