Scientists have established a link between brain damage and religious fundamentalism

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/scientists-established-link-brain-damage-religious-fundamentalism/

Let me be clear. I am in no way saying that religious people are neurologically impaired and, this is in no way intended to disparage religion or the religious. However, what is being said here is that there is a link between brain functioning and religious extremism whether it be Christians, Muslims or anyone else.

Let us begin:

A study published in the journal Neuropsychologia has shown that religious fundamentalism is, in part, the result of a functional impairment in a brain region known as the prefrontal cortex. The findings suggest that damage to particular areas of the prefrontal cortex indirectly promotes religious fundamentalism by diminishing cognitive flexibility and openness—a psychology term that describes a personality trait which involves dimensions like curiosity, creativity, and open-mindedness.

Here is a link to the abstract https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28392301

We continue:

Religious beliefs can be thought of as socially transmitted mental representations that consist of supernatural events and entities assumed to be real. Religious beliefs differ from empirical beliefs, which are based on how the world appears to be and are updated as new evidence accumulates or when new theories with better predictive power emerge. On the other hand, religious beliefs are not usually updated in response to new evidence or scientific explanations, and are therefore strongly associated with conservatism. They are fixed and rigid, which helps promote predictability and coherence to the rules of society among individuals within the group.

There is much more that all should read. It should also be not that the idea of a neuropsychological component to religious furor is nothing new.

https://www.skepticink.com/gps/2015/04/03/albert-ellis-and-the-case-against-religion/

Ellis wrote, and it resonates with me:

In a sense, the religious person must have no real views of his own; and it is presumptuous of him, in fact, to have any. In regard to sex-love affairs, to marriage and family relations, to business, to politics, and to virtually everything else that is important in his life, he must try to discover what his god and his clergy would like him to do; and he must primarily do their bidding.

He goes on……

Democracy, permissiveness, and the acceptance of human fallibility are quite alien to the real religionist—since he can only believe that the creeds and commands of his particular deity should, ought, and must be obeyed, and that anyone who disobeys the is patently a knave.

and

Religion, then, by setting up absolute, god-given standards, must make you self-deprecating and dehumanized when you err; and must lead you to despise and dehumanize others when they act badly. This kind of absolutistic, perfectionistic thinking is the prime creator of the two most corroding of human emotions: anxiety and hostility.

This all explains a lot!!

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/scientists-established-link-brain-damage-religious-fundamentalism/

Let me be clear. I am in no way saying that religious people are neurologically impaired and, this is in no way intended to disparage religion or the religious. However, what is being said here is that there is a link between brain functioning and religious extremism whether it be Christians, Muslims or anyone else.

Let us begin:

A study published in the journal Neuropsychologia has shown that religious fundamentalism is, in part, the result of a functional impairment in a brain region known as the prefrontal cortex. The findings suggest that damage to particular areas of the prefrontal cortex indirectly promotes religious fundamentalism by diminishing cognitive flexibility and openness—a psychology term that describes a personality trait which involves dimensions like curiosity, creativity, and open-mindedness.

We continue:

Religious beliefs can be thought of as socially transmitted mental representations that consist of supernatural events and entities assumed to be real. Religious beliefs differ from empirical beliefs, which are based on how the world appears to be and are updated as new evidence accumulates or when new theories with better predictive power emerge. On the other hand, religious beliefs are not usually updated in response to new evidence or scientific explanations, and are therefore strongly associated with conservatism. They are fixed and rigid, which helps promote predictability and coherence to the rules of society among individuals within the group.

There is much more that all should read. It should also be not that the idea of a neuropsychological component to religious furor is nothing new.

https://www.skepticink.com/gps/2015/04/03/albert-ellis-and-the-case-against-religion/

In a sense, the religious person must have no real views of his own; and it is presumptuous of him, in fact, to have any. In regard to sex-love affairs, to marriage and family relations, to business, to politics, and to virtually everything else that is important in his life, he must try to discover what his god and his clergy would like him to do; and he must primarily do their bidding.

He goes on……

Democracy, permissiveness, and the acceptance of human fallibility are quite alien to the real religionist—since he can only believe that the creeds and commands of his particular deity should, ought, and must be obeyed, and that anyone who disobeys the is patently a knave.

and

Religion, then, by setting up absolute, god-given standards, must make you self-deprecating and dehumanized when you err; and must lead you to despise and dehumanize others when they act badly. This kind of absolutistic, perfectionistic thinking is the prime creator of the two most corroding of human emotions: anxiety and hostility.

You misspelled militant atheism.

Must be the same scientists doing research on AGW.

Damn how politics and science don't mix. . .

"In a sense, the religious person must have no real views of his own; and it is presumptuous of him, in fact, to have any. In regard to sex-love affairs, to marriage and family relations, to business, to politics, and to virtually everything else that is important in his life, he must try to discover what his god and his clergy would like him to do; and he must primarily do their bidding."

As I mentioned earlier, I am Christian.

Aside from weddings and funerals, I haven't been in a church in over forty years. I don't do any human's bidding in matters of faith.

Your study reached a false conclusion.

LOL and it was some loon professor at Northwestern that claimed "christian terrorism" is a greater threat than Islamic jihadists.

You only provided a link to the abstract. Where is the actual paper? If you dont produce the thesis then how can we argue it?

Imo, any extremists have something wrong. It has nothing to do with religion though. For some, its just an excuse.
Just my 2 cents

In other words, PP, how far not to go from someone who has never left.

Put another way, I don't take advice on car repair from people who've never worked on one, I don't take investment advice from a poor person, and I certainly don't listen to the opinions of atheist scientists on religion tell me how bad it is that have never had a spiritual experience in their own life! That's not good enough for ME, but don't let it stop YOU.

Let us begin:

We continue:

He goes on……

and

Your Church of the Liberal Cut & Paste is noted. How high an IQ does it take to do that again? Mine has recently been measured at 142 or above.

Let us begin:

We continue:

He goes on……

and

Who are the militant Atheists ? Atheists are generally . pretty laid back folks

Scientists have established a link between brain damage and religious fundamentalism
...t!!

Well this is very suspicious.

We all see every day on this site, empirical beliefs that are not updated despite new evidence or new theories with better predictive power.

On both sides of the ideological divide.

So, how could these supposed academics say something so stupid as a premise?

Regardless, they just revealed that their work is to not be taken seriously.

Oh man I just never get tired of Liberal "studies" whose professors start with the conclusion they want and work backwards from there to support their beliefs. Now that's science.

Let us begin:

We continue:

He goes on……

and

Who are the militant Atheists ? Atheists are generally . pretty laid back folks
Go to your bathroom. Open the door. Walk in. Look into the mirror. The person staring back at you would be one of them.

Let us begin:

We continue:

He goes on……

and

Your Church of the Liberal Cut & Paste is noted. How high an IQ does it take to do that again? Mine has recently been measured at 142 or above.
Refute the findings then

Maybe I'm missing something here but it seems like this is more consistent with what I posted than opposite. Less faith in God+ Less prejudice.

Disabling parts of the brain with magnets turns people into leftists.

Forum List

Back