School Kept Merit Winning Students From Higher Education By Hiding Their Achievements Just To Spare Other Children's Feelings

Such policies don't prepare the kids for the failure that they are being prepared for, and some of them come back and shoot up the schools.

• Banned
Such policies don't prepare the kids for the failure that they are being prepared for, and some of them come back and shoot up the schools.

And some expect to get paid for just sitting on their asses and never moving out of Mommy's and Daddy's basement.

When I was in school high achievers were rewarded with "honor roll" status with names posted for all to see. Some may have been inspired but most didn't give a shit. :biggrin:

There's probably a reason why they didn't comment, but I see your point.
I did some digging. They did release a statement…

Fairfax County Public Schools sent FOX 5 a statement, saying they are looking into the matter and will make sure to notify students correctly moving forward.

"FCPS understands the hard work and dedication of each and every student who competes for college acceptance and scholarship opportunities," the statement reads. "Once the issue regarding the fall 2022 notifications was realized, counselors sent emails and made follow-up calls to each college where these students had applied and informed them of the National Merit Scholarship Commendations. We are continuing to look into this matter and will take any necessary steps to ensure consistency in appropriate and timely notification of National Merit recognitions going forward."

This is a literal outrage!!! 🤬

My profession can be so short-sighted it's awful.

The RIGHT thing to do is offer many educational/academic/social/leadership programs so that EVERY child can excel. That could be math, science, or reading; it could be the arts; it could be a trade; it could be leadership.

The WRONG thing to do is keep some kids down because other kids are down. Guess what teachers! Life hurts sometimes and disappointment is inevitable. Helping kids deal with that is our job--NOT gaming the outcome!

Ugh

My profession can be so short-sighted it's awful.

The RIGHT thing to do is offer many educational/academic/social/leadership programs so that EVERY child can excel. That could be math, science, or reading; it could be the arts; it could be a trade; it could be leadership.

The WRONG thing to do is keep some kids down because other kids are down. Guess what teachers! Life hurts sometimes and disappointment is inevitable. Helping kids deal with that is our job--NOT gaming the outcome!

Ugh
Do you think the outcome was gamed in this situation?

This must be that systemic racism we hear so much about; where for 5 years the best students aren't notified of their achievements until scholarship application deadlines have passed...

I did some digging. They did release a statement…

Fairfax County Public Schools sent FOX 5 a statement, saying they are looking into the matter and will make sure to notify students correctly moving forward.

"FCPS understands the hard work and dedication of each and every student who competes for college acceptance and scholarship opportunities," the statement reads. "Once the issue regarding the fall 2022 notifications was realized, counselors sent emails and made follow-up calls to each college where these students had applied and informed them of the National Merit Scholarship Commendations. We are continuing to look into this matter and will take any necessary steps to ensure consistency in appropriate and timely notification of National Merit recognitions going forward."

That's great if they said that, but not like I don't trust you, but mind supplying us a link?

That's great if they said that, but not like I don't trust you, but mind supplying us a link?
No problem… it was from the same fox network that reported the story in your OP. Obviously all this is third hand so can’t trust anything fully but it is good to look at all sides of the story….

No problem… it was from the same fox network that reported the story in your OP. Obviously all this is third hand so can’t trust anything fully but it is good to look at all sides of the story….

Thank you. :) I didn't think you would be bullshitting me but it's always best to have a link in hand to backup your claims and you did so that's great. :D

My parents were proud of my achievements.

As they should have been.

Thank you. :) I didn't think you would be bullshitting me but it's always best to have a link in hand to backup your claims and you did so that's great. :D
No prob, I always ask for links too so I can check sourcing and see if there’s more to the story… in most cases there usually is

Happy New year to ya!

No prob, I always ask for links too so I can check sourcing and see if there’s more to the story… in most cases there usually is

Happy New year to ya!

Thanks same to you and a lot of people on here do bullshit people btw. It's like if you're going to make claims you should be able to back it up so people know you didn't just make it up. Like I said before I don't believe that you would, but you might be surprised with some of the idiots on here. 🙄

Forum List

Back