S&P 500 heads to worst first half since 70s as recession fears loom

Are you drunk or something?

What the fuck does any of that have to do with what I posted?

Wasn’t talking about you. Was responding to the thread about the OP’s market observation. Of which all of it is absolutely relevant.

but you quoted my post.

Oh well sorry. Let me reiterate,

Thread topic;

S&P 500 heads to worst first half since 70s as recession fears loom​

I assumed response in any post in the thread was sufficient.

Hope you enjoy your new house.

Oh well sorry. Let me reiterate,

Thread topic;

S&P 500 heads to worst first half since 70s as recession fears loom​

I assumed response in any post in the thread was sufficient.

Hope you enjoy your new house.

When you quote a specific post, it is assumed you are responding to those words.

And thanks, I am sure we will.

Everyone that paid attention knew the recession was coming. It has been far too long since we had a real one and they are built into our system.

None of that makes a hill of beans towards me having our house built. We would have had it done last fall but we were still undecided if we were going to move to a different region of the country or not. It was not till my wife got her ICU position we choose to stay at least until we retire in a decade.

If the value of our house goes down it does not harm us in any way whatsoever. Since it has not yet even been apprised by the county and wont be for 6 to 10 months all it would do is save us money on property taxes. I will not even think about selling it till at least 2033 or later. If the market has not come back by then, I still have lost nothing as I will just keep living it in and retire where we are now. I will still be sitting on my deck sipping drinks while you are still paying rent that has gone up 500% in you are lucky.

But, since after the 2008 housing collapse it took less than 4 years for values to return, and this one will not be as bad as 2008, I am not really worried about that either.

There is literally no downside to what we are doing.
Basic math says different.

Inflation is in double digits. Your mortgage rate on top of that is paying almost pure interest at this point. Where the borrowed money helps with inflation the strong dollar is confusing you. The dollar has gained 20% since last year at this time.

It's not going to remain. Because of the rapid gain it's going to have a rapid fall.

Sure the dollar value of the house is going to increase but the rate of inflation is going to be even higher. Making for a net loss.

Look at it in relation to man hours worked.

An average house has been selling for roughly two years gross wages of a household. Currently houses are selling for 3-5 times that. Add in mortgage and realtor expense as the same type of ratio and you are literally pouring money down the drain.

So....
Now who owns who? Probably should say what owns who?

Basic math says different.

Inflation is in double digits. Your mortgage rate on top of that is paying almost pure interest at this point. Where the borrowed money helps with inflation the strong dollar is confusing you. The dollar has gained 20% since last year at this time.

It's not going to remain. Because of the rapid gain it's going to have a rapid fall.

Sure the dollar value of the house is going to increase but the rate of inflation is going to be even higher. Making for a net loss.

Look at it in relation to man hours worked.

An average house has been selling for roughly two years gross wages of a household. Currently houses are selling for 3-5 times that. Add in mortgage and realtor expense as the same type of ratio and you are literally pouring money down the drain.

So....
Now who owns who? Probably should say what owns who?

No, basic math does not say different.

Yes, inflation is in double digits, but it will not stay that way.

Nothing is confusing me. Having control over where I live is more important to us than a little more money we might spend. Our monthly payment will be set in stone for the next amount of years it takes us to pay it off. Since we are not doing a ARM it will never changes. 10 years from now we will have the same monthly payment as we will the day we move in. 20 years from then it will still be the same if we have not paid it off, which we probably will have.

You though will continue to see your rent to up on a yearly basis. Rent nationwide is up almost 15% over the past year. You will never know one year to the next what your housing expense will be, or even where you will be living.

Our house is costing is less than 2 years gross wages for us, about 19 months to be exact. Add in that our wages will increase each year it will be less and less.

Yes, our house will own us for a while, your landlord will own you forever. You will forever be living by someone else's rules.

No, basic math does not say different.

Yes, inflation is in double digits, but it will not stay that way.

Nothing is confusing me. Having control over where I live is more important to us than a little more money we might spend. Our monthly payment will be set in stone for the next amount of years it takes us to pay it off. Since we are not doing a ARM it will never changes. 10 years from now we will have the same monthly payment as we will the day we move in. 20 years from then it will still be the same if we have not paid it off, which we probably will have.

You though will continue to see your rent to up on a yearly basis. Rent nationwide is up almost 15% over the past year. You will never know one year to the next what your housing expense will be, or even where you will be living.

Our house is costing is less than 2 years gross wages for us, about 19 months to be exact. Add in that our wages will increase each year it will be less and less.

Yes, our house will own us for a while, your landlord will own you forever. You will forever be living by someone else's rules.
Nope....I used cash. Property holds its value when purchased that way. No extra fees to incur risk.

Nope....I used cash. Property holds its value when purchased that way. No extra fees to incur risk.

It is a residence I will be living in for the next decade at least. There is no risk.

But you keep on renting since you think that is the way to go.

It is a residence I will be living in for the next decade at least. There is no risk.

But you keep on renting since you think that is the way to go.
Apparently you have issues with reading as well as quantitative analysis.

Apparently you have issues with reading as well as quantitative analysis.

None at all, you are the one that says renting is the better option.

Are you a hypocrite and do not follow your own advice?

None at all, you are the one that says renting is the better option.

Are you a hypocrite and do not follow your own advice?
Renting is better if you don't already own a home because all repairs, taxes, insurance, and maintenance costs are in the rent.
Of course utility costs are higher in multi-family housing but it's insufficient to offset the other savings. (Multi-family housing has much much lower standards for insulation)

It's called quantitative analysis. Your personal income is irrelevant when determining investment opportunities and living quarters at the same time. AVERAGE household income vs average house costs are used. (Macro and micro)

Pay attention and you might actually get to make money instead of losing it.

Renting is better if you don't already own a home because all repairs, taxes, insurance, and maintenance costs are in the rent.

Yes, and the rent is subject to change annually. And the rent I know pay will be less than taxes, insurance and mortgage. And as time goes by and rent goes up for the those renting the cost of renting will be more than the cost of repairs, taxes, insurance, and maintenance costs on a brand new house.

It's called quantitative analysis.

That is a big word, too bad you have no clue what it means.

Your personal income is irrelevant when determining investment opportunities and living quarters at the same time. AVERAGE household income vs average house costs are used. (Macro and micro)

That might be the dumbest thing you have posted yet. All that fucking matter is my personal income. My living quarters are just that. I am not going to base my living arrangement off of the average household income as we do not have an household income, we are well above that.

You truly have not a clue what you are talking about.

Go back into your cave, anyone that actually takes your advice is fucked

Yes, and the rent is subject to change annually. And the rent I know pay will be less than taxes, insurance and mortgage. And as time goes by and rent goes up for the those renting the cost of renting will be more than the cost of repairs, taxes, insurance, and maintenance costs on a brand new house.

That is a big word, too bad you have no clue what it means.

That might be the dumbest thing you have posted yet. All that fucking matter is my personal income. My living quarters are just that. I am not going to base my living arrangement off of the average household income as we do not have an household income, we are well above that.

You truly have not a clue what you are talking about.

Go back into your cave, anyone that actually takes your advice is fucked
No where near where you have been by the current market. I got out last January.

You have been catching every falling knife that the market throws at you. Especially with the current advice you are giving out.

No where near where you have been by the current market. I got out last January.

Then you got out a year too early. Why am I not surprised.

You have been catching every falling knife that the market throws at you. Especially with the current advice you are giving out.

I give no advice at all, I do what is best for me and mine. I am wise enough to know that not everyone is in the same situation.

Buying the house right now was the right thing for us, as was closing the SPY account in mid-March. Had I pulled out in Jan of 2021 like you I would have not made near as much on it.

In the end, the absolute worst case scenario for us is that our house loses value due to the housing market never recovering from the coming recession. And all that does is mean I live in the house for the rest of my life...which we may do anyhow.

There is no downside to what we are doing.

Just came out this morning, GG. Was watching the news, and can't find a link yet.

not to doubt you, but it seems maybe they were talking about what they expect as I cannot find a new UE report on the BLS site.

Forum List

Back