Russia Now Deploying Their Most Powerful Tank in Ukraine.......the T62!

krichton

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2021

Apparently, Russia is running dangerously low on tanks, and is now digging up 60 year old tanks to be delivered to and employed in Ukraine, which in all likelihood aren't entirely functional, or combat ready. Remember when russian trolls on here said Russia was saving their best tanks and weapons for later? I think we are seeing exactly what they have left after 3 months of war. I hope the UK donates a few Challenger 3s. I'd like to see how a barely functional T62 holds up agains it. lol

1653597626250.jpeg

T-62s are actually decent tanks. They are are better than the T-72s which were designed for massive production in event of a full kerfluffle with NATO where the T-62 was their higher end not monkey model.

Major Russian breakthrough at POPASNA​

May 24, 2022

Ukraine. Military Summary And Analysis 25.05.2022​

2022.05.26 Lysychansk​

Premiered 15 hours ago

T-62s are actually decent tanks. They are are better than the T-72s which were designed for massive production in event of a full kerfluffle with NATO where the T-62 was their higher end not monkey model.
You are thinking of T-64.

T-62 evolved from the T-55 and is hopelessly obsolete. These were "upgraded" in the 1980's, so the best ones have 40 year-old fire control systems and radios. No interchangeability or interoperability with T72/80/90, which at least have a common heritage so some logistics are shared.

These things are suitable for gate guards and intimidating civilians in occupied villages, but they are death traps if the Ukrainians catch sight of them. Thinner armor than T-72, shitty optics, no thermals, no night vision. 115mm gun so less range, uses different ammunition than every other Russian tank. No autoloader, so 4 man crew, but the ammunition storage is even worse than the T72. So they blow up just as spectacularly, if not more so, and you kill 4 at a time instead of 3.

The good news is they are so old they do not use western components, so Russia can probably repair and rebuild them even with the sanctions.

These will probably be given to LPR forces to draw Ukrainian fire. Anyone inside will be dead before they even know they are in the fight.

T-62 evolved from the T-55 and is hopelessly obsolete. These were "upgraded" in the 1980's, so the best ones have 40 year-old fire control systems and radios. No interchangeability or interoperability with T72/80/90, which at least have a common heritage so some logistics are shared.

These things are suitable for gate guards and intimidating civilians in occupied villages, but they are death traps if the Ukrainians catch sight of them. Thinner armor than T-72, shitty optics, no thermals, no night vision. 115mm gun so less range, uses different ammunition than every other Russian tank. No autoloader, so 4 man crew, but the ammunition storage is even worse than the T72. So they blow up just as spectacularly, if not more so, and you kill 4 at a time instead of 3.

The good news is they are so old they do not use western components, so Russia can probably repair and rebuild them even with the sanctions.

These will probably be given to LPR forces to draw Ukrainian fire. Anyone inside will be dead before they even know they are in the fight.
Oops! You are completely correct.

Sounds like an announcement will be coming on MRLS and/or HIMARS next week. These are kind of in short supply, so the numbers won't be big, but they will give the Ukrainians the reach they need to push back in the Donbas.

Also sounds like Turkey might be softening on Sweden and Finland. The representatives from each country met yesterday in Turkey, and the Turkish minister said the talks were productive.

On what solid basis do they arrive at hundreds of destroyed Russian tanks besides propo film?
Unique photo documented cases.

These numbers represent about 70-80 percent of the Pentagon's estimate, depending on types. The T-80 losses documented by Oryx also represent about the same percentage on the Russian report from the 1GTA in mid-April.

Oryx has over 4100 documented instances of Russian equipment either destroyed, damaged, or captured. They have a backlog of several hundred that are not listed yet- they check closely for duplicates, pics of the same debris from different angles, etc.

I don't think the t62 had composite armor either, although the technical capabilities are probably the least russian tank crews have to worry about. I wouldn't be surprised if pieces started falling off once they start driving them. Even the t72s are barely maintained.

Apparently, Russia is running dangerously low on tanks, and is now digging up 60 year old tanks to be delivered to and employed in Ukraine, which in all likelihood aren't entirely functional, or combat ready. Remember when russian trolls on here said Russia was saving their best tanks and weapons for later? I think we are seeing exactly what they have left after 3 months of war. I hope the UK donates a few Challenger 3s. I'd like to see how a barely functional T62 holds up agains it. lol
how many tanks moscow produces for 3 months for the war, - 20.

Screen shot 2017-04-02 at 3.14.03 PM.png

Oops! You are completely correct.

Maybe we should counter by donating all the M-60 Tanks we can lay our hands on. The M-60 is hands over fists better than a T-62 with the mods that have been done to the M-60s still in service around the world. Who knows, Israel may donate theirs.

Rob Lee posted a video from RT of Russian mechanics repairing armored vehicles.

Look at the state of their tools. I have better tools in my kitchen junk drawer...

This is very true. . . but? At least they have repair teams, and tools. I wonder where this is located. . . .

That last article I read about what the people in Ukraine have, in our own WaPo?

:dunno:

This is very true. . . but? At least they have repair teams, and tools. I wonder where this is located. . . .
I think that's near Belgorod.There's a huge boneyard on the Russian side.
That last article I read about what the people in Ukraine have, in our own WaPo?

:dunno:
The territorial brigades aren't trained and equipped like the UA, and need artillery backup and better training on their light anti-armor weapons. They are civil defense forces, not a trained army and they don't know how to use some of the weapons they are getting.

I think it was almost 2 weeks in the first half of May, they were at risk of running out of artillery shells in the Donbas area. The southern supply route was coming under fire from the Papasna direction and the northern route was being targeted from the Izium direction.

There are pics of Russian BTR's that have potatoes strewn about on the floor too. I guess potatoes are the emergency rations.

Both sides are taking frightful losses in this kind of fighting. The concentration of RU forces has also concentrated the EW nearer to the front and UKR COTS drones are finding it difficult to operate.

Forum List

Back