ReVisiting Defund the Police

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Defund the police? Huh? Back in June of 2020, I first was like "Huh?" and then I put my emotions aside and read what the man was trying to convey.

Police themselves often complain about having to “do too much,” including handling social problems for which they are ill-equipped. Some have been vocal about the need to decriminalize social problems and take police out of the equation. It is clear that we must reimagine the role they play in public safety.

Defunding and abolition probably mean something different from what you are thinking. For most proponents, “defunding the police” does not mean zeroing out budgets for public safety, and police abolition does not mean that police will disappear overnight — or perhaps ever.

Defunding the police means shrinking the scope of police responsibilities and shifting most of what government does to keep us safe to entities that are better equipped to meet that need. It means investing more in mental-health care and housing, and expanding the use of community mediation and violence interruption programs.

Christy E. Lopez is a professor at Georgetown Law School and a co-director of the school’s Innovative Policing Program.

Last edited:
"Reimagine"
PWAHAHAHAHA! :auiqs.jpg:

I know, What that man is saying in contrast to what I hear crazies like you claim...

No city in America has seriously considered defund police departments in the way you crazies claim.

But you people really do want to defund law Enforcement. You are proposing bills in the Congress as we speak.

Forum List

Back