Rep Mo Brooks (R-Al) opines that sea level rise due to rocks and dirt

Rep. Hank Johnson (d-ga) was afraid that Guam would capsize if too many people were standing on one side of it.... Stupid knows no political party.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

No shit?!?!? Fooking aMAZing.
We should introduce him to some of the climate change deniers here. It's amazing what they come up with.
HERALD-2.gif

We should introduce him to some of the climate change deniers here. It's amazing what they come up with.
HERALD-2.gif

I'm laughing sweets.... you say that as if deniers are some kind of a fringe entity. Actually the opposite is true. Let me know if I need to spell it out for you..... and if so would you like the detail in bullets or a narrative?:2up:

Thanks for proving my point, guys. I always love having my posts being validated so promptly.

And made this argument to the head of Woods Hole.

Rep. Brooks asks if rocks cause sea level rise - CNN Video

Are you making fun of Brooks or Duffy?

Brooks asked for factors that contributed to sea level rise. Apparently Duffy had made catastrophic claims for melting ice. Ground subsidence was mentioned by someone. Duffy then stated he knew of no other factors involved.

Isnt there a penalty for lying at these hearings? Thermal expansion of water, and pumped ground water are two major factors left unmentioned.

Brooks brought up a minor factor for SLR, erosion, that is a major factor for land next to the sea. Surely no one is doubting that silt from erosion will increase the height of water when it is deposited in ocean basins?

Brooks asked for contributing factors regardless of proportional size. Duffy should have had a list of a dozen items just off the top of his head. He didn't and Brooks made him look foolish at best, or an obvious liar at worst.

Thanks for proving my point, guys. I always love having my posts being validated so promptly.

No it is your IDIOTIC refusal to address the well documented IPCC prediction/projection failures. I made a statement in post 9, that I have repeatedly backed up I the forum showing that the AGW conjecture is already a failure. You as usual ignored it!

Yes it is warming and has been since the 1800's, but it has never gone beyond the NULL hypothesis level. The RATE of warming has up to now NEVER gone outside of natural warming rates of the past.

It could be that you are so addled by propaganda or you lack critical thinking skills to understand that you are being snookered on many issues from Polar Bears, to snowfall , to hurricane , to droughts and so on.

Why don't you find us a peer reviewed paper that supports your contention about "natural warming rates". And while you're at it, you can explain what it is you mean by a "natural warming rate"

The rate of CO2 accumulation in the atmosphere exceeds anything seen in at least 800,000 years

and

Glacial ice and air bubbles trapped in it (ice cores) preserve an 800,000-year record of temperature & carbon dioxide. Earth has cycled between ice ages (low points, large negative anomalies) and warm interglacials (peaks). (Photograph courtesy National Snow & Ice Data Center. NASA graph by Robert Simmon, based on data from Jouzel et al., 2007.)

Using this ancient evidence, scientists have built a record of Earth’s past climates, or “paleoclimates.” The paleoclimate record combined with global models shows past ice ages as well as periods even warmer than today. But the paleoclimate record also reveals that the current climatic warming is occurring much more rapidly than past warming events.
Global Warming : Feature Articles

Using this ancient evidence, scientists have built a record of Earth’s past climates, or “paleoclimates.” The paleoclimate record combined with global models shows past ice ages as well as periods even warmer than today. But the paleoclimate record also reveals that the current climatic warming is occurring much more rapidly than past warming events.

As the Earth moved out of ice ages over the past million years, the global temperature rose a total of 4 to 7 degrees Celsius over about 5,000 years. In the past century alone, the temperature has climbed 0.7 degrees Celsius, roughly ten times faster than the average rate of ice-age-recovery warming.

epica_temperature.png

proxy-based_temperature_reconstruction.png

HERALD-2.gif

You mean the IPCC failed Per Decade warming rate prediction/projection?

The one you warmists ignore over and over in this forum?

Snicker...............................

Here is your post #9. I see no link

You have seen it several times already, which you have IGNORED over and over........

HERALD-2.gif

You mean the IPCC failed Per Decade warming rate prediction/projection?

The one you warmists ignore over and over in this forum?

Snicker...............................

Here is your post #9. I see no link

You have seen it several times already, which you have IGNORED over and over........

Yes we have two specific climate crusaders who excel in doing the whole convenient ignore thing when they get publicly whacked upside the head.

I just cleaned their clocks on the "GLOBAL WARMING NEWS
..." thread.....no response!!!

Rep. Hank Johnson (d-ga) was afraid that Guam would capsize if too many people were standing on one side of it.... Stupid knows no political party.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

From Snopes.com

Johnson: This is a[n] island that at its widest level is what … twelve miles from shore to shore? And at its smallest level … uh, smallest location … it’s seven miles between one shore and the other? Is that correct?

Willard: I don’t have the exact dimensions, but to your point, sir, I think Guam is a small island.

Johnson: Very small island, about twenty-four miles, if I recall, long, twenty-four miles long, about seven miles wide at the least widest place on the island and about twelve miles wide on the widest part of the island, and I don’t know how many square miles that is. Do you happen to know?

Willard: I don’t have that figure with me, sir, I can certainly supply it to you if you like.

Johnson: Yeah, my fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize.

Willard: We don’t anticipate that … the Guam population I think currently about 175,000 and again with 8,000 Marines and their families it’s an addition of about 25,000 more into the population.

Johnson: And also things like the environment, the sensitive areas of the environment, coral reefs and those kinds of things, and I know that lots of people don’t like to think about that but … you know, we don’t think about global warming either, and now we do have to think about it, and so I’m concerned from an environmental standpoint whether or not Guam is the best place to do this relocation. but it’s actually the only place, is that correct?

Willard: This is the best place, this is the farthest west U.S. territory that we own and this is part of our nation, and in readdressing the forward presence and posture importance to Pacific Command, Guam is vital to this decision.

This exchange was the subject of much ridicule and speculation: Was Rep. Johnson really expressing concern that the addition of 8,000 Marines and their families to Guam would literally cause the island to become “so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize,” or was he engaging in a metaphor about concerns over the level of environmental degradation that might result from a sudden 14% increase in Guam’s population?

The latter viewpoint is bolstered by the fact that immediately after his “tip over and capsize” statement, Johnson did explicitly say he was concerned about “the sensitive areas of the environment, coral reefs and those kinds of things.” On the other hand, Johnson’s prefacing that statement with the words “And also things like the environment …” (and his curious fixation on Guam’s exact dimensions) could be taken to mean that his previously expressed fear “that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize” was a different subject and was therefore not a metaphor for environmental issues.

Or perhaps Johnson was clumsily trying to express the notion that adding another 25,000 people to Guam would create an unsustainably large population (and thus the island would reach its “tipping point”).

Only Johnson knows for sure what he was thinking as he questioned Admiral Willard, and he later claimed he was “speaking metaphorically” and “kidding” (although critics noted no trace of humor was apparent in his words, tone, or body language, nor did he react or offer correction when Admiral Willard addressed his concerns about the island’s “tipping over” as if they were meant literally):

4th District Congressman Hank Johnson is now backing away from an outlandish suggestion he made to a United States Navy admiral that the Pacific island of Guam could “tip over and capsize” if too many U.S. Marines are stationed there.

Johnson said “my fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize.”

In an interview, the Decatur Democrat said he was kidding and simply speaking metaphorically to make a point during the committee hearing.

Johnson said, “I can say things that are quite humorous and not smile about it and it leads people to think about what I said.”

“Often, I’ve been known to use humor as I deliver a message. That’s just one of the gifts that I think that I have,” Johnson deadpanned.

“I’ve been around long enough in this district for voters to know that if Hank said Guam is in danger of capsizing, they would know precisely that I have a sense of humor.”

As of this writing, Hank Johnson Jr. is still the U.S. Representative for Georgia’s 4th congressional district.

So, no, as far as this (global warming) goes, stupidity seems to have relegated itself entirely to the GOP/

FeedbackSources
Fact Checker:David Mikkelson

Published:3 April 2010

Updated:9 August 2017

MORE FROM SNOPES.COM

Were AR-15s Used in Every Major Mass Shooting in the United States After Aurora?
18 May 2018 An attempt to link the rifle to several major mass attacks circulated widely online in the hours following a school shooting in Texas.

Do Rocks Falling Into the Ocean Contribute to Global Sea Level Rise?
18 May 2018 On human timescales, sediment and rocks flowing into the ocean do not appreciably contribute to observed sea level rise; on larger timescales, the question is irrelevant.

Did Facebook Executive Jeff Rothschild Say ‘We Need a Third World War’?
18 May 2018 The former Facebook vice president supposedly advocates solving global problems by exterminating 90 percent of the human population.

Is This the Aftermath of a 2018 Plane Crash in Havana?
18 May 2018 Old, unrelated images were passed around social media just after news broke about a plane that crashed in Cuba.

Was an Oklahoma Woman Killed By a Pack of Small Dachshunds?
17 May 2018 A woman was fatally mauled by a pack of dogs that mainly consisted of dachshund mixes of varying sizes.

Will Louisiana Evict Nursing Home Patients Because Medicaid Ran Out?
17 May 2018 Although the state has passed an operating budget without evicting elderly people, Louisiana's fiscal woes continue.

Did a Group of Ducks Obey a Traffic Light While Crossing a Street?
17 May 2018 A video purportedly showing a group of ducks waiting patiently at a traffic light was most likely created with digital editing software.

Did a Woman Become Pregnant from Eating Squid?
17 May 2018 Years of exaggerated headlines have turned a painful story about a woman accidentally eating a squid's sperm bag into a particularly disturbing rumor.

Ask. Chat. Poke.

Snopes Facebook Group

Most Searched
Do ‘Illegal’ Refugees Receive $3,874 Per Month from the Government?
Fact Check Viral Phenomena

Pilot Flying J Flag Controversy
Fact Check Inboxer Rebellion

Cut Onions Contamination
Fact Check Food

Is Willie Nelson Seriously Ill?
Fact Check Fake News

Does a New Facebook Algorithm Only Show You 26 Friends?

Most Shared
Does a New Facebook Algorithm Only Show You 26 Friends?

Is the NRA a Tax-Exempt Nonprofit Organization?
Fact Check Politics

Did the White House Change Outgoing Message on Comment Line to Blame Democrats?
Fact Check Politics

Did the Kochs Contribute $500,000 to Paul Ryan After the GOP Tax Plan Was Passed?
Fact Check Politics

Did President Trump Revoke Gun Background Checks for Mentally Ill People?
Fact Check Politics

Forum List

Back