Remembering Janis...

bayoubill

aka Sheik Yerbouti...
Dec 30, 2008
Cajun Country
breaks my heart watching this clip, with her laying herself bare belting out this tune, looking tired and unhappy, recorded a few short months before her untimely end...

Get It While You Can...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju9yFA1S7K8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju9yFA1S7K8[/ame]

not fair that Janis got taken at such an early age... leaving us with lame-ass acts like Chicago Transit Authority...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORGaACYbAk0]JANIS JOPLIN Mercedes Benz (1970) - YouTube[/ame]

not fair that Janis got taken at such an early age... leaving us with lame-ass acts like Chicago Transit Authority...

I loved Janis, but I also loved CTA. Chicago Transit Authority, along with Blood Sweat and Tears were innovators in fusing brass and jazz with rock. The horn section of CTA are all very accomplished musicians. Robert Lamm's first musical training came as a member of the choir at Grace Episcopal Church, Brooklyn Heights, New York. The late great Harry Chapin was also a member of that choir.

Jimi Hendrix was a major fan of Terry Kath's guitar work.

I hate when close minded people try to talk about music.

I loved Janis, but I also loved CTA. Chicago Transit Authority, along with Blood Sweat and Tears were innovators in fusing brass and jazz with rock. The horn section of CTA are all very accomplished musicians. Robert Lamm's first musical training came as a member of the choir at Grace Episcopal Church, Brooklyn Heights, New York. The late great Harry Chapin was also a member of that choir.

fuck you, B... don't you dare try to put me in a box... I was there when CTA first came out... I have an original copy of their first LP... I'm a fan of good brass ensembles... I myself play the trumpet... still, at the time CTA came out, they sucked in comparison to the other stuff being put out...

better days...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uG2gYE5KOs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uG2gYE5KOs[/ame]

fuck you, B... don't you dare try to put me in a box... I was there when CTA first came out... I have an original copy of their first LP... I'm a fan of good brass ensembles... I myself play the trumpet... still, at the time CTA came out, they sucked in comparison to the other stuff being put out...

Fuck you too asshole. I played in bands back in the 60's and 70's. When CTA first came out our band was 2 guitars, bass (me) and drums. The first CTA song we did was South California Purples. We eventually added 2 girl singers and horns. We did a lot of Joplin, but we also did a lot of Chicago. Nothing they did sucked.

I grew up in an open-minded liberal household. My late mom was a huge fan of the Big Band Era. To this day I still listen to everything from classical to current music. I love Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, the Dorsey brothers, Count Basie, Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday, Harry James and Gene Krupa.

B, S & T's version of Billie Holiday's God Bless the Child is one of the best I've heard.

Open your mind.

Fuck you too asshole. I played in bands back in the 60's and 70's. When CTA first came out our band was 2 guitars, bass (me) and drums. The first CTA song we did was South California Purples. We eventually added 2 girl singers and horns. We did a lot of Joplin, but we also did a lot of Chicago. Nothing they did sucked.

I grew up in an open-minded liberal household. My late mom was a huge fan of the Big Band Era. To this day I still listen to everything from classical to current music. I love Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, the Dorsey brothers, Count Basie, Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday, Harry James and Gene Krupa.

B, S & T's version of Billie Holiday's God Bless the Child is one of the best I've heard.

Open your mind.

my mind is open at least as much as yours...

only apparent difference is that you're a douchebag...

Open your mind.

No, you are immature and close minded. If you had any real knowledge of music, you would be aware that Joplin's choice of a backup band was considered poor. Big Brother and the Holding Company was roundly criticized as a weak band. But I don't go there. Some of their work was poor, but I really liked some of their work. The guitar work and opening to Piece of My Heart is fantastic.

You SAY you are a fan of good brass ensembles. How the fuck can you listen to James Pankow's "Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon" and not get goose bumps? It is brilliant.

Open your mind.

No, you are immature and close minded. If you had any real knowledge of music, you would be aware that Joplin's choice of a backup band was considered poor. Big Brother and the Holding Company was roundly criticized as a weak band. But I don't go there. Some of their work was poor, but I really liked some of their work. The guitar work and opening to Piece of My Heart is fantastic.

You SAY you are a fan of good brass ensembles. How the fuck can you listen to James Pankow's "Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon" and not get goose bumps? It is brilliant.

I'm well aware of the weaknesses of Joplin's backup bands, particularly BB&THC...

and yeah, some of their work was pretty great nonetheless...

and, yeah, Pankow was fuckin' brilliant...

so... are you 'n me gonna continue to bitch at each other like spouses who find fault with each other over the least little thing...?

meh...

let's dance... :)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uncTpRaXiBI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uncTpRaXiBI[/ame]

'n then mebbe a slow tune...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTQVWtSvwUE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTQVWtSvwUE[/ame]

Open your mind.

I happened to see CTA and Janis both perform at the same rock festival back in the Summer of '69...

CTA's set was fairly forgettable...

Janis, on the other hand, burned bright... with a performance that's seared into my memory...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQkGQHnwVjE]Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon - Chicago - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back