Remember when late night talk shows were entertaining?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
I'm old enough to remember Johnny Carson who was the best late night host ever. He was always impeccably dressed, funny and had interesting guests. I don't recall politics ever coming up at all. The Tonight Show was an escape and it was enjoyable for every American to watch. Leno did a good job and even Letterman for the most part was watchable and funny.

Compare that to ANY of the late night shows we have now. Everyone of them have Trump hatred coursing through their veins as they make their entire show about bashing Donald Trump. How is that entertaining? Attacking the President, his staff and his family is all they do. How can Liberals even watch that, doesn't it get old?

I'm old enough to remember Johnny Carson who was the best late night host ever. He was always impeccably dressed, funny and had interesting guests. I don't recall politics ever coming up at all. The Tonight Show was an escape and it was enjoyable for every American to watch. Leno did a good job and even Letterman for the most part was watchable and funny.

Compare that to ANY of the late night shows we have now. Everyone of them have Trump hatred coursing through their veins as they make their entire show about bashing Donald Trump. How is that entertaining? Attacking the President, his staff and his family is all they do. How can Liberals even watch that, doesn't it get old?

You don't have to remember. They still play reruns of Johnny Carson on TV! Chances are you can get it. Check out the OTA (over the air) broadcasts in your region, all you need is a TV or tuner box that receives OTA digital channels (2.1, 2.2, 11.1, 11.3, etc.) and a TV antenna. Anything from a cheap bow tie to a powered Yagi will work depending on your area and how far you want to receive. In my area, I get about 30 channels. So much better programming, I've cancelled my satellite. I believe they run Johnny on a station called Antenna TV (I think it is channel 19.1 here).

My home theater has a digital DVR that not only picks up the stations off the air, but gives two week TV guide programming, and has a 2 TB flash drive and full record, pause, playback, etc., capability like any cable DVR. It also does streaming off the internet.

Johnny was a class act who would be appalled at the garbage and tasteless behavior of what has replaced him today.

I'm old enough to remember Johnny Carson who was the best late night host ever. He was always impeccably dressed, funny and had interesting guests. I don't recall politics ever coming up at all. The Tonight Show was an escape and it was enjoyable for every American to watch. Leno did a good job and even Letterman for the most part was watchable and funny.Compare that to ANY of the late night shows we have now. Everyone of them have Trump hatred coursing through their veins as they make their entire show about bashing Donald Trump. How is that entertaining? Attacking the President, his staff and his family is all they do. How can Liberals even watch that, doesn't it get old?
`
Living in the past. Remembering the Good Old Days - That never were.
`

I recall Earl Butz being the butt of jokes in Johnny Carson's monolog. I believe Wilbur Mills as well until it became noted that Mills' problem was rooted in alcoholism, and then he laid off. Know it was some politician, I think it was Mills.

The thing was, Carson simply told jokes and didn't preach politics. It didn't matter what political party was involved, it just had to be something newsworthy that lent itself to a joke .

it would get old if the cheeto-in-chief didn't keep finding new rakes to step on.

clean coal is one of my personal favorites. the dumpster fire thinks people wash it :lol:

Lord but I miss Heeeeeer's Johnny!!!!

Man, these current shows have nothing on this!

rofl.gif

Last edited:

Forum List

Back