Religion and Artificial Intelligence

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
Sunday - BBC Radio 4

This week more than 100 of the world's top robotics experts wrote to the UN calling for a ban on the development of "killer robots" and the tech entrepreneur Elon Musk tweeted that artificial intelligence safety was 'vastly more a risk than North Korea'.

AI already changing our lives; from driver-less cars to caring for the elderly. Should the technology that drives AI be designed with a set of moral and ethical codes and how should it be regulated? Bob Walker reports from the Sheffield Robotics Centre.

The theologian Andrew Graystone is joined by the AI assistant Alexa as he ponders the possibility that one day we might be able to create a robot with human qualities.

The Bishop of Oxford Stephen Croft, Rabbi Moshi Freedman, anthropologist Beth Singler from the Faraday Institute and Kriti Sharma, VP of AI at Sage debate and discuss the application of AI and why its development needs to be considered within a moral and ethical framework.

Edward Stourton also asks the Bishop of Oxford why he believes faith leaders should have a say in the development and legislation of artificial intelligence.

Audio

BBC Radio 4 - Sunday, Religion and Artificial Intelligence

One day, assassination drones will be cheap and very effective. Imagine a little drone acquiring targets on it own and putting .22s in people's faces with amazing accuracy.

Britain and Germany are already drafting legislation to make it a crime for self-driving car AI to be racist or otherwise biased against special classes.

'I'll believe in Artificial Intelligence when I hear that a computer killed itself because it thought it was too fat' -- Dennis Leary

The cat was out of the bag when they invented nukes. Even as complex and expensive as they are, they inevitably end up in the hands of unstable people.
AI is cheap as chips already, and doesn't need to be autonomous to kill. I've got a $50 drone that streams 720P video to my smartphone. Cool! It can't carry a gun, but around $4-10K will get you one that could.
The 'terrorists' are gonna love this!

A.I. was a big deal when I was at UCI studying computer science, but it is a scam. There will never be a computer or a robot that is intelligent the way a human is intelligent. The only thing a computer or robot can do is what the programmer tells it to do, nothing more, nothing less.

I wouldn't let AI be in charge of missiles that's for sure.

Yea ... not good ...

colossus-the-forbin-project-1970-art.jpg

Forum List

Back