Realtor And His Clients Sue City After Mistkenly Being Arrested??

Biff_Poindexter

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2018
USA

"A man, his 15-year-old son, and their real estate agent have filed a federal lawsuit against the city of Wyoming, Michigan and its police department after they were mistakenly handcuffed during a home showing earlier this year. The episode happened on Aug. 1, when Eric Brown was showing a house to Roy Thorne and his son, referred to as S.T. in court papers. According to the lawsuit, a neighbor called 911 saying that “an alleged squatter, a young Black man, who had been arrested on July 24, 2021 had returned” to the home. Shortly after the call, officers entered the house and ordered the three men to come out of the home, with their hands up, before handcuffing them."

This seems like an innocent mistake as the officers were only responding to what the 911 caller alleged. Furthermore, how was the 911 caller supposed to know that this wasn't the same squatter arrested a few weeks ago, returning back with more squatters? Now, does a report of squatters call for 5 or 6 police cars surrounding the house with guns drawn? Maybe not, depends on their procedures....but the good thing is, no one was hurt, the men cooperated and once it was verified they were not bad guys; they were released....I anticipate this lawsuit will not get far.

I would say they could have verified their IDs in the house without the handcuffs and without a dozen police officers.

This is worth no more than a nuisance payout.
Not even that.
I will say, the neighbor who called instead of going next door and inquiring is quite the little reactionary wimp, causing unnecessary trouble for the police, the town, and of course the real estate agent and his potential customers. Sounds like a timid little busy body, to me.

Not even that.
I will say, the neighbor who called instead of going next door and inquiring is quite the little reactionary wimp, causing unnecessary trouble for the police, the town, and of course the real estate agent and his potential customers. Sounds like a timid little busy body, to me.
No. The neighbor should not have gone to inquire. Squatting in the house had happened before. The realtor resembled the guy who squat. Confronting a squatter is not something anyone should be doing. It was an unfortunate event that ended well.

A few years ago I was preparing for a municipal art show entitled All Around The Town. I was going to paint notable landmarks. One of the landmarks I chose was a large and very elaborate climbing structure for children to play on. It was a gift from a Japanese sister city. I circled the structure looking for an angle that showed off the structure and could be taken without any children in the frame. Sure enough, a mom called the police to report a suspicious person photographing children in the park. I was handcuffed and detained while the police sorted everything out. Sadly, during the period of detention I lost the light and had to come back. Mistakes happen. I wasn't going to sue over it. This is very much the same thing.

No. The neighbor should not have gone to inquire. Squatting in the house had happened before. The realtor resembled the guy who squat. Confronting a squatter is not something anyone should be doing. It was an unfortunate event that ended well.

A few years ago I was preparing for a municipal art show entitled All Around The Town. I was going to paint notable landmarks. One of the landmarks I chose was a large and very elaborate climbing structure for children to play on. It was a gift from a Japanese sister city. I circled the structure looking for an angle that showed off the structure and could be taken without any children in the frame. Sure enough, a mom called the police to report a suspicious person photographing children in the park. I was handcuffed and detained while the police sorted everything out. Sadly, during the period of detention I lost the light and had to come back. Mistakes happen. I wasn't going to sue over it. This is very much the same thing.
The person that called about you, should have asked you what you were doing if the Karen was disturbed by your activity. Too many people to timid to do what is necessary to ease their own minds, depending on others to come ease their minds for them. The poor little dears. :icon_cry:

why was it necessary for you to be handcuffed?

why was it necessary for you to be handcuffed?
Who knows. Keep me from fighting back perhaps. They took the camera first thing. I gave permission to look at the pictures if they didn't erase any. I had a shot of the koi pond at city hall that was just perfect. I had one of FIve Points and a pawn shop that opened in 1921. The owner was out the door immediately wanting to know what I was doing taking pictures of his shop. It was all sorted out right away.

My partner and I got stopped by police who claimed our car matched the description of a bank robbery get away car. We knew that was a lie but stopped anyway. The cops just wanted to look at the car.

If the realtor license was not enough to clear the arrested people, may a thorough house cleaning then take place.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back