Real, objective news outlets are places like The New Yorker, The Washington Post, Reuters, the Associated Press, Time magazine, and Teen Vogue

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015

Some of you have asked, “Muffy, how can we be sure that what we’re reading isn’t ‘fake news’?” That is an excellent question! Almost as excellent as, “Who borrowed my diaphragm?” ( I appreciate your feminist modern art collage, but, seriously—I have a need. Return, please? Thanks.) Real journalists have to abide by a journalistic code of ethics. They have a staff of fact-checkers. They can provide documentation for their reporting, and if they get something wrong in a story, they have to issue a correction or retraction. They don’t respond to every challenge with a huffy, “Your mama!”

Real journalism trades in facts. Facts are not the same thing as opinions. Opinions are things like, “Star Wars would be a thousand times better acted out by meerkats.” Opinions are the speaker’s thoughts and feelings and, occasionally, a glimpse of the abyss. “I, the speaker, have strong feelings about both Star Wars and meerkats” is a belief. Doesn’t make it true. Facts, on the other hand, can be verified through evidence—a reporter’s notes, for example, or through scientific observation; collected data; scholarly, peer-reviewed analysis; standards of law; or historical record. Facts stand up to scrutiny and challenge. Facts matter, my friends! They matter if we’re not going to live in a nation where healthcare has been replaced by Facebook prayer circles and homemade aspirin, where children eat pencil lead and tubes of Crest because there’s no funding for school lunches anymore, and people believe that the Revolutionary War was fought with Mexico over a border wall.

Some of you have asked, “Muffy, how can we be sure that what we’re reading isn’t ‘fake news’?” That is an excellent question! Almost as excellent as, “Who borrowed my diaphragm?” ( I appreciate your feminist modern art collage, but, seriously—I have a need. Return, please? Thanks.) Real journalists have to abide by a journalistic code of ethics. They have a staff of fact-checkers. They can provide documentation for their reporting, and if they get something wrong in a story, they have to issue a correction or retraction. They don’t respond to every challenge with a huffy, “Your mama!”

Real journalism trades in facts. Facts are not the same thing as opinions. Opinions are things like, “Star Wars would be a thousand times better acted out by meerkats.” Opinions are the speaker’s thoughts and feelings and, occasionally, a glimpse of the abyss. “I, the speaker, have strong feelings about both Star Wars and meerkats” is a belief. Doesn’t make it true. Facts, on the other hand, can be verified through evidence—a reporter’s notes, for example, or through scientific observation; collected data; scholarly, peer-reviewed analysis; standards of law; or historical record. Facts stand up to scrutiny and challenge. Facts matter, my friends! They matter if we’re not going to live in a nation where healthcare has been replaced by Facebook prayer circles and homemade aspirin, where children eat pencil lead and tubes of Crest because there’s no funding for school lunches anymore, and people believe that the Revolutionary War was fought with Mexico over a border wall.

But, but, but what about fact checkers! :auiqs.jpg:

Aaah BUT ONLY IF YOU are real objective news-- and we know you aren't.
Not to late to study LOGIC> :)

Forum List

Back