Random picture I took...

Natural Citizen

American Made
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 8, 2016
...when I was cleaning the junk off one of my tables...

IMG_4491.jpg

You still wear a watch? I haven't worn one regularly in over 15 years.

Yeah, I have watches out the wazoo. It's kind of a hobby. There's a watch forum I post on once in a while over in the UK. Very gentlemanly fellows, actually.

Those were just a couple I had laying on one of the tables.

Crap picture, but I was just bored.

This is the one I have on there...(actually, there's a second one there to the left, except it has a steel bracelet versus the nylon strap.

The one on the right is the Hamilton Khaki Pilot Automatic Day Date from the Interstellar movie. Cool watch.

Last edited:
I haven't worn a watch in eons. Part of the problem is that I can never find a leather band that really works. Apparently my wrist is wide enough to be too large for standard bands and I am not a fan of the metal stretchy bands.

Nice collection! I bet you have the Museum watch - known as Movado. They are very nice watches that I would never wear on a date.
My personal watch is a rectangle shaped silver stainless steel Movado with no numbers black face and individual metal link band.
I wear it all the time and get lots of compliments on how nice it looks. ... :cool:

I haven't worn a watch in eons. Part of the problem is that I can never find a leather band that really works. Apparently my wrist is wide enough to be too large for standard bands and I am not a fan of the metal stretchy bands.
Back before I carried a cellphone I would wear a watch. After awhile the band would break and I would end up buying a new watch because the watches I wore were about the same price as a new band.

Back before I carried a cellphone I would wear a watch. After awhile the band would break and I would end up buying a new watch because the watches I wore were about the same price as a new band.

More or less the same here the few times I could find a band that was just wide enough to get around my wrist in the last holes. Another problem I have with watches are a lot of them you need to take to someone to change the batteries which annoys the hell out of me. I have a bunch of my dad's watches with the metal stretch bands but I refuse to hike them to the jewelry store just to get a batteries changed. My cellphone tells me all I need to know so why bother.

I can't wear a watch the none metal strap gets dirty and irritates my skin and the metal ones pinch to much. Once I was out of the military I stopped wearing one.

I used to wear the digital watches with calculators on them in the early 1980's then I became an electronic tech/electrician and stopped wearing watches.

I've never worn one. Horrible things.

Odd.

I've got three watches in a regular rotation: an Oris Williams F1, an Omega Seamaster Co-Ax and a Breitling Colt 43. Truth be told, the Breitling probably gets the most wrist time, but only because I've got huge wrists as 9.5".

I've got my Dad's gold Hamilton that my grandparents gave him as a high school graduation present in 1950, and the thing runs perfectly. I also have his father's Fortis Eastern Star. I think it's from the late 1950's. I've also got a Tag Monaco Gulf model, a Rolex Sea Dweller and a Red Submariner. My grail is my grandfather's (on Mom's side) Rolex Cosmograph (aka: Paul Newman model) from the 1960's, which is in one of my safe deposit boxes. The last time I wore it was to Grandpa's funeral 15 years ago.

I've probably got a dozen or so lower-end pieces; a few hundred bucks each, at most, Deep Blue is probably my favorite. They use a Seiko movement and are built like tanks.

Yeah, I've got a bit of a watch fetish...

Odd.

I've got three watches in a regular rotation: an Oris Williams F1, an Omega Seamaster Co-Ax and a Breitling Colt 43. Truth be told, the Breitling probably gets the most wrist time, but only because I've got huge wrists as 9.5".

I've got my Dad's gold Hamilton that my grandparents gave him as a high school graduation present in 1950, and the thing runs perfectly. I also have his father's Fortis Eastern Star. I think it's from the late 1950's. I've also got a Tag Monaco Gulf model, a Rolex Sea Dweller and a Red Submariner. My grail is my grandfather's (on Mom's side) Rolex Cosmograph (aka: Paul Newman model) from the 1960's, which is in one of my safe deposit boxes. The last time I wore it was to Grandpa's funeral 15 years ago.

I've probably got a dozen or so lower-end pieces; a few hundred bucks each, at most, Deep Blue is probably my favorite. They use a Seiko movement and are built like tanks.

I just can't cope with it being on my wrist. I have thin wrists in the first place. Just always felt bad.

Odd.

I've really been wanting an ice-blue Cosmograph Daytona for some time.

A few times I've almost bit the bullet and picked one up. I keep getting closer each time.

It's just kind of hard to justify with so many others just sitting around in their boxes.

I've really been wanting an ice-blue Cosmograph Daytona for some time.

A few times I've almost bit the bullet and picked one up. I keep getting closer each time.

It's just kind of hard to justify with so many others just sitting around in their boxes.

That would be a big bullet to bite, too. A new Daytona fitted with an ice blue dial is into six figures. I'm not certain, but I think the reason they're so expensive is that I'm pretty sure the ice blue dial was used only on the platinum models, not the stainless models:

14770938-l8j3bk4fqqiddpmukzmomivw-ExtraLarge.jpg

Rolex Daytona Platinum 40mm Ice Blue Index Dial for $125,000 for sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24

I think my grandfather paid around $475 for his. It's worth just a bit more than that now.

Check this clip out. My grandfather's watch is pretty much identical to this one, although I don't have the original sales receipt or all of the paperwork which came with the watch:

That would be a big bullet to bite, too. A new Daytona fitted with an ice blue dial is into six figures. I'm not certain, but I think the reason they're so expensive is that I'm pretty sure the ice blue dial was used only on the platinum models, not the stainless models:

14770938-l8j3bk4fqqiddpmukzmomivw-ExtraLarge.jpg

Rolex Daytona Platinum 40mm Ice Blue Index Dial for $125,000 for sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24

I think my grandfather paid around $475 for his. It's worth just a bit more than that now.

Check this clip out. My grandfather's watch is pretty much identical to this one, although I don't have the original sales receipt or all of the paperwork which came with the watch:

Yeah. They're steep. I'd have to part with and sell about a dozen in order to swing it. Maybe a few more than that. And that's still leaving a good chunk out of pocket.

And then what if you do something like that and you get it and then you're like....meh. Can't count how many times that's happened.

The alternative would be to pick up a steel one and replace the dial, I suppose.

Yeah. They're steep. I'd have to part with and sell about a dozen in order to swing it. Maybe a few more than that. And that's still leaving a good chunk out of pocket.

And then what if you do something like that and you get it and then you're like....meh. Can't count how many times that's happened.

The alternative would be to pick up a steel one and replace the dial, I suppose.

I bought my first Rolex, a DateJust, back in 1986. It had a sapphire blue sunray dial, but I really liked the champagne dial. The dealer swapped them out for nothing.

I wish I still had that watch, I paid $1,100 for it as an E-5 in the Navy. That very watch from that year sells for around $7K now...

Forum List

Back