Architecture

Baron Von Murderpaws

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2021
In the recesses of your mind
There isn't an Architecture forum, so I suppose this one is the closest related one.

I love old style architecture, especially Victorian, Gothic Victorian, and Gingerbread Victorian.
I love lots of different styles, but these are my favorites!!

Victorian
victorian-lg.jpg

Gothic Victorian
gothic-victorian-house-plans-mansion-style-design_396057.jpg

Gingerbread Victorian
1510608725-country-listings-new-haven.jpg

"Gingerbread" refers to all the fancy, intricate woodwork on the outside of the house,
which usually includes sculpted columns, lattice work, engraved wood pieces, and
carved arches over doors and windows.

There isn't an Architecture forum, so I suppose this one is the closest related one.

I love old style architecture, especially Victorian, Gothic Victorian, and Gingerbread Victorian.
I love lots of different styles, but these are my favorites!!

Victorian
victorian-lg.jpg

Gothic Victorian
gothic-victorian-house-plans-mansion-style-design_396057.jpg

Gingerbread Victorian
1510608725-country-listings-new-haven.jpg

"Gingerbread" refers to all the fancy, intricate woodwork on the outside of the house,
which usually includes sculpted columns, lattice work, engraved wood pieces, and
carved arches over doors and windows.
I've done extensive restoration work on old houses like that. While they are beautiful the rooms are usually tiny and so they are barely functional as modern houses.

I've done extensive restoration work on old houses like that. While they are beautiful the rooms are usually tiny and so they are barely functional as modern houses.

My Uncle used to renovate old, run down homes in small country towns and alter a few walls here and there to make large area living rooms and kitchens, and turn the huge attics into master suites, offices, or game rooms.

My Uncle used to renovate old, run down homes in small country towns and alter a few walls here and there to make large area living rooms and kitchens, and turn the huge attics into master suites, offices, or game rooms.
Done a ton of that stuff. Even so we are forbidden to change our local Victorians too much. They must remain pretty much original. Any alterations must appear original to the house.

Done a ton of that stuff. Even so we are forbidden to change our local Victorians too much. They must remain pretty much original. Any alterations must appear original to the house.
Yeah, he never worked on protected homes. Usually he bought old houses that had been up for sale for a long, long time and started showing signs of damage from being unkempt for so long.

My architectural question is this. If a home was built as a Rowhouse, but the neighboring rowhouses were razed, does it still count as a "row house" or is it "detached single family housing"?

This link before shows what I mean.

I used to own a similar type home in Ohio, built during the Arthur Administration. .

I liked it. No neighbors real close, makes for easy street parking. I don't see why they are described as "heartbreaking" in the link.

My architectural question is this. If a home was built as a Rowhouse, but the neighboring rowhouses were razed, does it still count as a "row house" or is it "detached single family housing"?

This link before shows what I mean.

I used to own a similar type home in Ohio, built during the Arthur Administration. .

I liked it. No neighbors real close, makes for easy street parking. I don't see why they are described as "heartbreaking" in the link.

It's end stage urban blight. Streets without enough inhabited houses to justify the city services rendered are revenue drains that drag down the rest of the city.

Forum List

Back