Randolph Scott films.

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Watching 7 Men from now in which Scott hunts the gang who killed his wife. Its the usual high standard but I noticed a difference between this and his usual work. This film was produced by Batjac and not his usual Ranown backers.

I think that Batjac was John Waynes production company and I am trying to work out the link. Decent film.

" John Wayne's company, Batjac, produced this film and he had planned to play the lead. He didn't because after preproduction had already started, John Ford contacted the Duke with a new project called The Searchers (1956), which Wayne opted to star in instead. Since money was already being spent to make "Seven Men From Now", it could not be stopped without losing that money. John Wayne asked Randolph Scott to play the lead in his place. "

7 Men from Now (1956) - Trivia - IMDb

Watching 7 Men from now in which Scott hunts the gang who killed his wife. Its the usual high standard but I noticed a difference between this and his usual work. This film was produced by Batjac and not his usual Ranown backers.

I think that Batjac was John Waynes production company and I am trying to work out the link. Decent film.

tommy you do know they have guns in that movie??

I thought you hated guns??

" John Wayne's company, Batjac, produced this film and he had planned to play the lead. He didn't because after preproduction had already started, John Ford contacted the Duke with a new project called The Searchers (1956), which Wayne opted to star in instead. Since money was already being spent to make "Seven Men From Now", it could not be stopped without losing that money. John Wayne asked Randolph Scott to play the lead in his place. "

Probably made the right decision. I wonder if Mrs Wayne was relieved that he wouldnt be working with Gail Russell again ?

Probably made the right decision. I wonder if Mrs Wayne was relieved that he wouldnt be working with Gail Russell again ?

Same link: " John Wayne gave the female lead to Gail Russell, his co-star from Angel and the Badman (1947) and Wake of the Red Witch (1948). He did so despite being warned that she looked twenty years too old to play a character in her mid-twenties. Russell had not made a film in five years and had a serious drinking problem which would later end her life at the age of 36. "

The Searchers was a far better film.

Same link: " John Wayne gave the female lead to Gail Russell, his co-star from Angel and the Badman (1947) and Wake of the Red Witch (1948). He did so despite being warned that she looked twenty years too old to play a character in her mid-twenties. Russell had not made a film in five years and had a serious drinking problem which would later end her life at the age of 36. "
Hard to believe that they were at it on the set during Angel and the Badman. She looked so Angelic. She still looked good though.

Whatever happened to Randolph Scott?

Was he really Cary Grants lover?

1613493309147.jpeg

View attachment 457938
Well he was married and had 2 kids so its debatable.

Ive just been watching Ride Lonesome which I rate as one his best movies. His later films seemed to have better scripts and better casts. Lee Van Cleef, James Coburn and Pernell Roberts from Bonanza were in it.

Similar set up to Comanche Station which he made around the same time. I notice he used to film in the same locations and even ride the same horse in many of his films.

View attachment 457938

Ive just been watching Ride Lonesome which I rate as one his best movies. His later films seemed to have better scripts and better casts. Lee Van Cleef, James Coburn and Pernell Roberts from Bonanza were in it.

Similar set up to Comanche Station which he made around the same time. I notice he used to film in the same locations and even ride the same horse in many of his films.
Both of these movies are on a triple bill his afternoon along with Buchanan Rides Alone which is one of my favourite film titles. He rides the same horse as well. Just watching Comanche Station now.

View attachment 457938

Ride the High Country is in my opinion is the best movie Randolph Scott appear in. Directed by Sam Peckinpah with an excellent script and cast, it's an excellent movie.

View attachment 457938
Grant and Scott lived together for 12 years in what was considered a plush batcher's quarters. Homosexual? If there were it was a closely guarded secret. My guess is they weren't, just friends.

As to what happen to Randolph Scott,

Following Ride the High Country, Scott retired from film at the age of 64 after 30 years in the movies. A wealthy man, Scott had managed shrewd investments throughout his life, eventually accumulating a fortune worth a reputed $100 million.

He and his wife Patricia continued to live in his custom, mid-century modern, Burton A. Schutt-designed home at 156 Copley Place, Beverly Hills. During his retirement years he remained friends with Fred Astaire, with whom he attended Dodgers games. An avid golfer with a putting green in his yard, Scott was a member of the Bel Air Country Club, Los Angeles Country Club and Eldorado Country Clubs. Scott also became friends with the Reverend Billy Graham. Scott was described by his son Christopher as a deeply religious man.

View attachment 457938
Grant and Scott lived together for 12 years in what was considered a plush batcher's quarters. Homosexual? If there were it was a closely guarded secret. My guess is they weren't, just friends.

As to what happen to Randolph Scott,

Following Ride the High Country, Scott retired from film at the age of 64 after 30 years in the movies. A wealthy man, Scott had managed shrewd investments throughout his life, eventually accumulating a fortune worth a reputed $100 million.

He and his wife Patricia continued to live in his custom, mid-century modern, Burton A. Schutt-designed home at 156 Copley Place, Beverly Hills. During his retirement years he remained friends with Fred Astaire, with whom he attended Dodgers games. An avid golfer with a putting green in his yard, Scott was a member of the Bel Air Country Club, Los Angeles Country Club and Eldorado Country Clubs. Scott also became friends with the Reverend Billy Graham. Scott was described by his son Christopher as a deeply religious man.
Not a sad end then.

View attachment 457938

Ride the High Country is in my opinion is the best movie Randolph Scott appear in. Directed by Sam Peckinpah with an excellent script and cast, it's an excellent movie.

He played a great baddie. I bet he enjoyed that.

View attachment 457938

He played a great baddie. I bet he enjoyed that.

That was one his few performances as a bad guy.

Randolph Scott came from a wealthy southern family. He played football at Georgia Tech. However, an injury suffered in France in WWI ended his football career and he transferred to the University of North Carolina graduating in Textile Engineering. It was there that he discovered acting and rather than enter the family business he traveled to Hollywood and got his start in the movies in bit parts in silent movies. Most of his films in 20's and 30's were not westerns. Probably his most famous films of the 30's were Rebeca of Sunnybrook Farm and My Favorite Wife. Starting in 1940, he worked almost exclusively in Westerns. Unlike popular western stars, Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, and Hopalong Cassidy, Scott chose films that appealed more adult audience. He costarred with the top names in Hollywood such as John Wayne, Glen Ford, Marlene Dietrich, Gene Tierney, and worked under the best directors. By the early 50's he was a top box office draw. If you wanted to see a good western in 40's and 50's, his movies were a good choice.

The idea that Randolph Scott was homosexual comes from the years he shared Cary Grant's mansion in Los Angles. Today, two single men sharing a home for any long period is sure to label them as being gay. That was not the case prior to the 50s.

Scott was a better actor than Wayne. Audie Murphy was probably the best horseman of the later western stars, pretty fearless as a rider. I never got why Wayne was so popular Your average TV westerns were better then his movies. He only made two or three I liked, the Searchers, and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and he played a corpse in the latter one, wasn't even the main star. I liked one of those he made with Dean Martin, but I can't recall the name of it now. Dean MArtin was also a good western actor; too bad he didn't make more of them; he should have been a producer; he had the bucks but not the drive, I guess.

Scott was a better actor than Wayne. Audie Murphy was probably the best horseman of the later western stars, pretty fearless as a rider. I never got why Wayne was so popular Your average TV westerns were better then his movies. He only made two or three I liked, the Searchers, and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and he played a corpse in the latter one, wasn't even the main star. I liked one of those he made with Dean Martin, but I can't recall the name of it now. Dean MArtin was also a good western actor; too bad he didn't make more of them; he should have been a producer; he had the bucks but not the drive, I guess.
John Wayne epitomized a kind of rough masculinity and was famous for his manner, attitude and demeanor. His distinctive and calm voice, the classic walk, and even his height created a screen persona as a tough but kind hero. Was he a great actor? No, he simple played John Wayne in every movie. Much of his success is due to John Ford.

Audiences often mistake an appealing screen persona for good acting. For example I love every movie James Stewart made, not because of his acting but because of his screen persona which is much the same in real life. He is just a very likable person in real life and the movies.

Both Martin and Wayne played in "Rio Bravo" and "The Sons of Katie Elder", "Rio Bravo" being the more famous and better of the two.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back