Railroad employees told to ignore wheel bearing problems.

pknopp

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2019
Profits over people. We see this time and again.

In late 2016, Stephanie Griffin, a former Union Pacific carman, went to her manager with concerns that she was getting pushback for tagging – or reporting for repair – railcars. Her manager told her it was OK to skip inspections.

Griffin asked if the manager could put that in writing. “That’s weird,” said the manager. “We have 56 other people who are not bad-ordering stuff out there. You’re definitely not going to get in trouble for it.”

In the end I wonder what will be more expensive? The years and years of lawsuits and clean up or repairing bad wheel bearings?

Profits over people. We see this time and again.

In late 2016, Stephanie Griffin, a former Union Pacific carman, went to her manager with concerns that she was getting pushback for tagging – or reporting for repair – railcars. Her manager told her it was OK to skip inspections.

Griffin asked if the manager could put that in writing. “That’s weird,” said the manager. “We have 56 other people who are not bad-ordering stuff out there. You’re definitely not going to get in trouble for it.”

In the end I wonder what will be more expensive? The years and years of lawsuits and clean up or repairing bad wheel bearings?
That's really stupid. A bad wheel bearing will eventually lead to much more serious problems.

LOL....I often pass by N&S trains on a section of track in town that runs about a mile parallel to the road and I guess I pay more attention. There always at least one truck on a car where a bearing are squeaking no end.

Of course I don't have any idea if it needs service or not or even what style of truck it is, just that it's noisier than the rest.

375px-Railroad_truck%2C_FM55-20.Fig8-8.png

A diagram of an American-style truck showing the names of its parts and showing the journal boxes to be integral parts of the side frame

List of railroad truck parts - Wikipedia

Forum List

Back