Rachel Maddow has this theory...........

.......that I thought would be interesting to discuss. Boiled down to its essence it is that Trump is not the essential element animating Trumpery. Trumpery being defined (by me) as the rise of nativism, the advent of power concentrated in the hands of the nation's leader, challenging the prior constitutional order, an isolationist bent, targeting minorities as being responsible for a variety of societal ills, and sloganeering as a substitute for nuanced policy.

She recently did a town hall style meeting with Chris Hayes during which he asked her why it is, in her opinion, that some authoritarian figures in history fail to gain support while others succeed. IOW, can success or failure of these figures be predicted. Her answer was the country, any country, has to be previously receptive to the message being projected. That no one can start from ground zero and orchestrate an authoritarian movement unless citizens in the country, some of them at least, are ready for it.

Probably the best example of this being Germany before Hitler (I'm not comparing Trump to Hitler). The seeds for being receptive to fascism were planted by the onerous terms Germany was forced to submit to after WW I.

So what was happening here that allowed for the sublimated acceptance of, if not desire for, autocracy to bubble to the surface? Technological advances bringing about economic instability? The "browning" of the country causing anxiety among certain factions?

Or is Rachel's theory just wrong?

This is the same Rachel Maddow who told you vaccinated people can't get covid. And you believed it.

.......that I thought would be interesting to discuss. Boiled down to its essence it is that Trump is not the essential element animating Trumpery. Trumpery being defined (by me) as the rise of nativism, the advent of power concentrated in the hands of the nation's leader, challenging the prior constitutional order, an isolationist bent, targeting minorities as being responsible for a variety of societal ills, and sloganeering as a substitute for nuanced policy.

She recently did a town hall style meeting with Chris Hayes during which he asked her why it is, in her opinion, that some authoritarian figures in history fail to gain support while others succeed. IOW, can success or failure of these figures be predicted. Her answer was the country, any country, has to be previously receptive to the message being projected. That no one can start from ground zero and orchestrate an authoritarian movement unless citizens in the country, some of them at least, are ready for it.

Probably the best example of this being Germany before Hitler (I'm not comparing Trump to Hitler). The seeds for being receptive to fascism were planted by the onerous terms Germany was forced to submit to after WW I.

So what was happening here that allowed for the sublimated acceptance of, if not desire for, autocracy to bubble to the surface? Technological advances bringing about economic instability? The "browning" of the country causing anxiety among certain factions?

Or is Rachel's theory just wrong?
589c9d19141d8.image.jpg

Anyone with an ounce of common sense. Which tells me left loons like you bought her drivel
One of the imperatives of authoritarian movements in history is to convince the populace democracy doesn't work.
They want you to believe, see if this sounds familiar, that there is no knowable truth. The only trusted source is the authoritarian himself. (kinda like what Faux says) “Don’t believe the crap you see from these people, the fake news,” Trump told a VFW group in 2018. “What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.” Trust me to tell you what's really going on.
Along side the idea of failed democracies is both parties are the same. Or........"I have come to the conclusion none of the capital hill gang give a tinkers damn about the American people.." So give the power to me cuz, "I alone can fix it."

The kicker here being there actually are people in government who care about the people. It's Trump who doesn't.

One of the imperatives of authoritarian movements in history is to convince the populace democracy doesn't work.
They want you to believe, see if this sounds familiar, that there is no knowable truth. The only trusted source is the authoritarian himself. (kinda like what Faux says) “Don’t believe the crap you see from these people, the fake news,” Trump told a VFW group in 2018. “What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.” Trust me to tell you what's really going on.
Along side the idea of failed democracies is both parties are the same. Or........"I have come to the conclusion none of the capital hill gang give a tinkers damn about the American people.." So give the power to me cuz, "I alone can fix it."

The kicker here being there actually are people in government who care about the people. It's Trump who doesn't.
Once people are separated from objective truth they become more susceptible to.........wait for it.......conspiracy theories. Like voter fraud. Like the deep state. Like the system is rigged.

We’ve seen people in government care about the Jewish community for some time now.

Once people are separated from objective truth they become more susceptible to.........wait for it.......conspiracy theories. Like voter fraud. Like the deep state. Like the system is rigged.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Still waiting for its $2000 Obamacare yearly savings .

Maddow has some valid points BUT she has no idea how this needs addressed.

Yes, Trump used the hatred of many for anything that is different than themselves to get elected. Maddow also supported a guy that promised Hispanics he would address their problems but then did nothing other than deport them.

It's odd to me that Obama actually did what Trump promised to do (Obama even voted for money for the wall) but he was disliked by many who support Trump.

Why? I'd say because they perceive a difference in him they do not with Trump.

Obama did not close the border. The DNC used their media allies to feed you leftards one talking point. Obama deported more illegals than Bush which is true. The reason for that is Obama let illegals pour over the border hence the rise in deportations. Every single one of you fell for it as usual.

Actually a good comparison could be the FDR administration elected at relatively the same time as the Nazi administration was coming into power. There is no assumed right to freedom of the press in Europe so the Nazi regime was able to gain power by controlling the media. The Constitution governs the power of the American government but when the media becomes the willing propaganda arm of the government the citizens are only aware of what the government dictates. The media should have been aware that FDR's E.O. 9066 was an outrage to the Constitution but the media was a part of the government at the time and the outrage was supported. Today we have a weak leadership and a mentally impaired administration that the current media seems to prefer as long as it is means a ignoring criminal unconstitutional acts to preserve power to the democrat regime.

Obama did not close the border.

I didn't say he did.

Being quite impossible it's a non issue.

He deported people at a faster rate than Trump.

The DNC used their media allies to feed you leftards one talking point. Obama deported more illegals than Bush which is true. The reason for that is Obama let illegals pour over the border hence the rise in deportations. Every single one of you fell for it as usual.

How's that wall coming?

Forum List

Back