punting inside the 10

harmonica

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2017
...I thought when I used to watch college and pro football in the 70s, seems like the punters used to put it inside the 10 a lot and/or try for inside the 10.....now I see the college kickers kick it to the center and it usually goes into the end zone....what's your opinion?

...I thought when I used to watch college and pro football in the 70s, seems like the punters used to put it inside the 10 a lot and/or try for inside the 10.....now I see the college kickers kick it to the center and it usually goes into the end zone....what's your opinion?

I assume they are going for the touchback to reduce the chance someone will run it back

I assume they are going for the touchback to reduce the chance someone will run it back
if they kick it out of bounds, no run back either --touchbback gets it on the 20

..and the many punts from deep in the defensive end are not kicked out of bounds = they are not worrying about a run back

if they kick it out of bounds, no run back either --touchbback gets it on the 20

There has been a move away from injuries in kicking situations. I read that back in the 60's, the linemen used to be allowed way downfield before the punt happened which basically made it impossible to ever field a punt. They then wanted to make the game more exciting and now they want to make it less exciting.

Forum List

Back