Proper Judicial Temperament

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

A local news story of a few months ago featured a judge who, in private session with lawyers, referred to one of the jurors as "Aunt Jemima." Apparently the juror in question was Black, obese, and wore a headscarf during the entire trial. Cool, right? Well, one of the attorneys made that remark public, then accused the judge of bringing disrepute on the court. Think about that. It was made in a NON PUBLIC setting; the lawyer MADE IT PUBLIC, then accused THE JUDGE of bringing public scorn on the Court. Only in America.

Well, I had never heard of that particular judge (they are elected positions), but the more I hear about him the more I like him. He has committed such anti-Woke crimes as,
  • remonstrating a single mother for having kids out of wedlock,
  • criticizing a defense attorney for not striking Black jurors with apparent bias,
  • using Black patois in speaking with certain Blacks in court, and of course
  • the Aunt Jemima thing.
Now he has been put on "administrative duty," is likely to be suspended from the court, and will shortly be forced to resign, in "disgrace." Read the story. I think the guy deserves a medal. He should be teaching classes to other judges.

Think about that. It was made in a NON PUBLIC setting; the lawyer MADE IT PUBLIC, then accused THE JUDGE of bringing public scorn on the Court. Only in America.

Good for the lawyer for standing up against an obvious racist judge.

Racism today is in the shadows. The N Word is used only in confidence with those you trust. So is calling blacks Aunt Jemima

How is his referring to the juror in question as "Aunt Jemima" any different from referring to a tall, muscular, bald juror as "Mr. Clean"? There is nothing racist about it. It was an easy shorthand way of identifying the woman, which was obviously successful and unambiguous.

Aunt Jemima is not a racist symbol or icon. Those products and that image remains in trade today, as a formerly affectionate reference to a well-known personage. Same with Uncle Ben.

There is nothing racist about admonishing a woman for her illegitimate offspring. White people reproduce promiscuously as well.

The term "racist" has become meaningless. It refers to anyone that one does not like.

It is important to reveal these types of comments rather than try to cover them up and pretend to the public that they were never said. You fail to explain why people make comments like this, regardless of in public or in private. This type of behavior reveals what the person is really like. This guy's comments are indicative of his character and suggest that he cannot be an impartial judge. This is not the lawyer's fault.

So......this judge has been in the criminal justice system for thirty years, so he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

Forum List

Back