Privatize USPS?

USPS going to private business hands? Lol... in your dreams.

No business company can do the same work at 50 cents for one ounce letter and 21 additional cents per additional ounce weight. International is $1,15 one ounce letter.

A private company will increase the prices the very next day, so... forget it.

Only reason they can do it for 50 cents is because they get $18 billion from American taxpayers every year.

American taxpayers give an $18 billion gift to the post office every year

That isn't true.

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 6.39.59 AM.png

My father retired as a Station Manager told me the pension is one of the most solid in the country. It's biggest problem was constantly trying to keep Congress's filthy mitts off it. As for ops, Congressional mandates that don't allow it to operate as a business need to be lifted. Prime example is they must have an office in every town. This produces useless eaters in Management and wasted overhead in property.

In major metro, no problem. UPS Taking a letter to Everton NC for less than a buck? Not gonna happen.

A more reasonable solution (it won’t get any traction here) is to have a hybrid.

No business company can do the same work at 50 cents for one ounce letter and 21 additional cents per additional ounce weight. International is $1,15 one ounce letter.

Only reason they can do it for 50 cents is because they get $18 billion from American taxpayers every year.

In that case, you should be sending everything by UPS, Fedex, or DHL. Put your money where your mouth is!

Most packages I do. Regular mail and anything that is not time sensitive, I sent by USPS.

Yes, sending packages by USPS is bit cheaper, because they're subsidized by taxpayers. Since I am taxpayer, I paid for that too.

I rarely use the USPS, I can't remember the last time, at least a year ago.

Story that just wrapped up today:

From a small remote village there is no conventional FedEx service. One has to mail a package to that carrier at a larger city and then it gets sent on.

In March I sent a parcel that way to a company in Louisiana, All the paperwork was in place with FedEx and they issued a waybill number but they never received the package. USPS tracing came up with nothing.

Yesterday I got email from a different company in Illinois saying they had the package I had sent and wanted to know what I wanted done with it (it was electronics equipment for repair). They were able to send me a photo of the equipment showing the serial number - indeed it was the package that had been sent to FedEx to go to Louisiana. They said it arrived with their other packages from USPS with an apparently printed post office label addressing it to them.

Since they can repair it I told them to go ahead and do the repair but we have to find a safer way to get it back. USPS I don't trust. FedEx would receive it at the "big city" and mail it. UPS doesn't do ground but apparently does have a way to get it back home. We're working on it.

In that case, you should be sending everything by UPS, Fedex, or DHL. Put your money where your mouth is!

Most packages I do. Regular mail and anything that is not time sensitive, I sent by USPS.

Yes, sending packages by USPS is bit cheaper, because they're subsidized by taxpayers. Since I am taxpayer, I paid for that too.

So, in other words you are a hypocrite. Got it!

Am I paying taxes? Yes, Therefore I am paying for the post office subsidies.

Hypocrites would be those who use USPS without paying federal income taxes. Are you paying them? Or you're one of those who love freebies.

That isn't true.

View attachment 325700

Quora?

If you're getting bailout every year measured in billions of dollars, you're not "self sustaining business".

I rarely use the USPS, I can't remember the last time, at least a year ago.

I use it occasionally when I sell item on eBay, and prepay the priority mail flat rate. It's usually around $8 for medium box with delivery 2-3 business days.

I have no problem with anyone buying out the failing postal service. The only thing that will happen if it is bought out, is people will have to forgo that great pension they have been expecting because no private company will keep that in place and expect to make it a paying concern. Those already on the pension may even see theirs drop. Not sure how that is setup.
I'm not sure why the Pony Express was so short-lived, but yea, exorbitant government employee pensions should have put the Post Office out of business long ago.

Green with envy, how sad.

That isn't true.

View attachment 325700

Quora?

If you're getting bailout every year measured in billions of dollars, you're not "self sustaining business".

Name another business that is required to fund their employee retirement 100% in advance.

That isn't true.

View attachment 325700

Quora?

Name another business that is required to fund their employee retirement 100% in advance.

Any business required to do so knows nothing about economics and should and will bankrupt.

Is USPS required to do so?

That isn't true.

View attachment 325700

Quora?

Any business required to do so knows nothing about economics and should and will bankrupt.

Yes, that is why they run a deficit. Pay attention one in a while.

That isn't true.

View attachment 325700

Quora?

Deficit?

They're losing money, why should they be bailed out every year?

That isn't true.

View attachment 325700

Quora?

Deficit?

They're losing money, why should they be bailed out every year?

Try getting a child to read it for you. The reason for the deficit is pre-funding the retirement fund.

The US Postal Service is the most efficient delivery service on earth.

It can deliver a letter from my house in NJ to my cousins house in California for just 50 cents

Let’s see Bezos do that
They do handle more letters than anyone on Earth. The Govt. agencies in this country all run at a loss. There is only one that makes money. The Treasury.

The post office is an admitted minority and single mother jobs program.

Forum List

Back