Previously Unknown Portrait of Vincent Van Gogh Uncovered After X-Ray.

bravoactual

bravoactual
Dec 5, 2011
Sausalito, CA
A previously unknown self-portrait by Vincent van Gogh has been discovered hidden on the back of another painting.

Experts at the National Galleries of Scotland made the find when the canvas was X-rayed before an exhibition.

The hidden self-portrait was covered by layers of glue and cardboard on the back of an earlier work called Head of a Peasant Woman.

The gallery's senior conservator Lesley Stevenson said she felt "shock" to find the artist "looking out at us".

She said: "When we saw the X-ray for the first time, of course we were hugely excited.
"This is a significant discovery because it adds to what we already know about Van Gogh's life."

This is truly amazing. One my favorite COVID MASKS is a copy of Van Gogh's "Starry Night."

1657833023527.png

Van Gogh. 1887 "Naked in bed".
Or the self-portrait, that Black Adder painted in the trenches of the WWI ? :auiqs.jpg:

5960.jpg

About Van Gogh and crazy people

You bombard young people with doom and gloom about the climate killing them and this is what you get. I blame the AGW cultists in charge more than these two morons.

They get nothing but a constant barrage that modern society is going to kill them and destroy the planet. What do you expect?

Yeah, lots of DaVinci's works were found convered over, or reused somehow.
Didn't know that. I saw a rare DaVinci work at the Hermitage when we went on a Cruise of the Balkan sea one year. I never in a million years thought I'd get to see something DaVinci did, and as I recollect it was a small sculpture, a one-of-a-kind since DaVinci seldom did any sculptures, but Catherine the Great had an eye for extremely good works for her collection, and by the time she was in the market to buy enough world-class paintings for her St. Petersburg Museum of Fine Arts his work was rare and almost unavailable, but she somehow brought a lot of masterpieces for the amazing place the Hermitage Museum is. I'm glad I got to see it. I'm not sure Russia will ever allow any Americans to visit their country again. Well, it was a wonderful cruise, and I got to see the great Norwegian Fiord that was just north of Bergen before visiting 8 more countries in the Balkan area. I collected a demitasse cup and saucer from every country we visited except Russia. Their prices were ten times the price of the most expensive one I found in other Balkan countries, although it was by far the most beautiful one. I found a Russian demitasse cup and saucer online, which made me regret not just getting that really beautiful one. It's so awful looking I put it in back of all the others. But I'll never forget that beautiful one I saw in a Russian tourist shop. My loss. *sigh*

Forum List

Back