Power windows

(As an aside, I've always disliked that "power" windows require electrical power to close or open, something that could be dangerous.)

That's why you get one of these and keep it in the door pocket of each door in your vehicle. Seatbelt cutter at the bottom, window breaker up top.

5dd092b9-fdd6-4a03-aa82-3bfa54cdd968_1.17cf59ce8c0362994d4a3fe27ad3d74d.jpeg

A "regular" mechanic can do it and so can a body shop. A "good" mechanic will fix it and neuro surgery may be required- I don't think it should take 2 visits but you may have to leave it until somebody can get to it then that somebody may have to order a part (probably a motor) and that may not be available locally.Power windows are handy but I too prefer crank windows.

I dont use Windows
View attachment 309607
Don't things get a little wet, likkmee? Maybe you've got two vehicles, one for rainy days.
Surprisingly not bad unless it's blowing sideways. Then I drive nekkid :10: . I made the sides and back roll down and the roll bar has a bit of bow to channel the water to the back when moving . I had to re-do it a couple times to get it right. 300 inches per year is a good testing ground. The floors are all stainless with rubber caps over stamped holes in the lowest parts. I have a couple more diesel rides with real roofs but I like open source. These were electric but I made them crankerz.
p7270011.jpg

The power window in the back passenger side of my car isn't responding right. Sometimes it doesn't work at all and when it does, it is super slow.

One of regulars at the local diner owns one of the busiest garages in town, so this morning I asked who could fix it--I thought it would take a body shop or something since I know you have to pretty much take the door apart. He said his shop can do it, but he launched into the longest, most complicated explanation of what might be wrong and that it would take at least two visits to fix it and whether I should maybe buy a motor and take it back if I didn't need it, etc. That kind of shit is why I stopped going to him a few years ago.

Do you think a regular mechanic can handle it or should I look for an autobody shop that can do it without performing neurosurgery on my car?

PS if I had a choice I'd still have plain old crank windows. The chances of a power window crapping out in the open position is just too high for my druthers. I haven't seen any of those in a car in a long time, though.

I have replaced several over the years. The biggest pain is removing the door panel.

The power window in the back passenger side of my car isn't responding right. Sometimes it doesn't work at all and when it does, it is super slow.

One of regulars at the local diner owns one of the busiest garages in town, so this morning I asked who could fix it--I thought it would take a body shop or something since I know you have to pretty much take the door apart. He said his shop can do it, but he launched into the longest, most complicated explanation of what might be wrong and that it would take at least two visits to fix it and whether I should maybe buy a motor and take it back if I didn't need it, etc. That kind of shit is why I stopped going to him a few years ago.

Do you think a regular mechanic can handle it or should I look for an autobody shop that can do it without performing neurosurgery on my car?

PS if I had a choice I'd still have plain old crank windows. The chances of a power window crapping out in the open position is just too high for my druthers. I haven't seen any of those in a car in a long time, though.

I have replaced several over the years. The biggest pain is removing the door panel.
Get an upholstery or body shop to pull them real quick and have them put them back on after you do it.Those clips break and those guys have bags full, if needed

Ive had power windows go out. Just have them replace the motor and youre all set. It should NEVER require 2 visits.

The easy replacement of a window switch

The complicated replacement of a window switch

When the problem is not the switch but stuck or slow motion of window due to lack of lubrication

In many cases you don't need a mechanic to solve problems with your car but just information and good will to fix the issue.

If none of the videos from above apply to your case, then you have an electrical issue somewhere, something that is very rare but it can happen. A mechanical problem is also rare, unless you abused turning up and down the window everyday every five minutes... or a manufacturing defect.

The issues with power car windows are not complicated themselves but sometimes will need of the removal of the door panel as it is shown in the second video.

Try the easy repairs suggested in several places online, and if not solution is at sight, then consider taking the car to a mechanic.

This is like a light is not working in your living room, then first you try replacing the light bulb, and if no solution is at hand, then you call the electrician, right?

You better start lubricating the canal of the window door.

You haven't told us the make/model of the vehicle.

A "regular" mechanic can do it and so can a body shop. A "good" mechanic will fix it and neuro surgery may be required- I don't think it should take 2 visits but you may have to leave it until somebody can get to it then that somebody may have to order a part (probably a motor) and that may not be available locally.Power windows are handy but I too prefer crank windows.

I dont use Windows
View attachment 309607
Don't things get a little wet, likkmee? Maybe you've got two vehicles, one for rainy days.
Surprisingly not bad unless it's blowing sideways. Then I drive nekkid :10: . I made the sides and back roll down and the roll bar has a bit of bow to channel the water to the back when moving . I had to re-do it a couple times to get it right. 300 inches per year is a good testing ground. The floors are all stainless with rubber caps over stamped holes in the lowest parts. I have a couple more diesel rides with real roofs but I like open source. These were electric but I made them crankerz.View attachment 309609

I've never seen a Lund windshield visor on a Grand Cherokee before. Never even knew they existed. That's cool.

Forum List

Back