Power outage in Texas now

The last time my power went out was in 08 when Ike hit....it was out for all of two hours.
I've lived in Houston,the most airconditioned city in the world,for 45 years and I dont recall ever having rolling brown outs.
When I lived in the sticks and was on the co-op, when we had a blizzard we had brown outs. Didn't hurt us, as we a generator, food, beer, ammo, gas and propane.

That was due to inclement weather rather than to much power being used.
Ok, but doesn't extreme temps cause people to use more power? Maybe more than can be handled a small plant?

That's why I mentioned above " Brown outs" . Texas has those a lot , whether this is from that or not is hard to say right now. or when I posted it that is.

Again..I've lived in Texas for 45 years and never experienced a brown out.... not once.

Move to Amarillo, and you'll get to experience power outages and brown outs in the summertime. I know that the power goes out on my street at least once during the summertime, and sometimes two or three times during the summer.

Matter of fact, one of the reasons that I had to finally get a flat screen tv is because the 32 inch tube tv I had got killed during a power outage once.

But they're not really common.
I dont recall Houston ever having a problem.
Thats because those rednecks down there are still using little fans blowing over blocks of ice, the bastages.

You have to go to Dallas to find anything resembling modern technology.

Thats because those rednecks down there are still using little fans blowing over blocks of ice, the bastages.

Hell,Houston kicks dullass in the nuts when it comes to GDP.

Isn't Texas once of those states that disregards infrastructure?

As opposed to what? California or New York?

Texas is the greatest state in the union, without it, Americans would probably all be speaking Russian by now. You want freedom and individual liberty, you go to Texas.

Noone messus with Texas! No power outrage will hurt the citizens there, they are too tough for the snowflakes that melt at the sight of adversity.
NYC and LI are undergoing massive rebuilding.
We rarely have brownouts, let alone blackouts.
But Texas is HUGE and the factors in maintaining power across the state is probably more complex than NYC/LI.

In Toronto in 2002 or 2003 we had a blackout that lasted 3 days. That is the most liberal, snowflake, quasi-communist, high debt city in the world.

Go figure...

P.S We also ordered in the military a few years earlier during a snowstorm, not even the worst I had seen in my lifetime either. We were mocked globally for our weak fortitude.

As opposed to what? California or New York?

Texas is the greatest state in the union, without it, Americans would probably all be speaking Russian by now. You want freedom and individual liberty, you go to Texas.

Noone messus with Texas! No power outrage will hurt the citizens there, they are too tough for the snowflakes that melt at the sight of adversity.
NYC and LI are undergoing massive rebuilding.
We rarely have brownouts, let alone blackouts.
But Texas is HUGE and the factors in maintaining power across the state is probably more complex than NYC/LI.

I think it has more to do with population density and the fact Texas has it's own grid and builds their grid appropriately for the amount of power needed.

Only because the price of oil is ridiculous.

Houston has more tonnage in dead dino imports every year than any other port in the USA.

If Dallas began importing pig shit from Oklahoma and Arkansas we would have passed Houston long ago.

Houston has more tonnage in dead dino imports every year than any other port in the USA.

If Dallas began importing pig shit from Oklahoma and Arkansas we would have passed Houston long ago.

The price of oil is way down and we still kick dullass in the teeth.
The main difference being we have the largest foreign import port in the U.S.

Dude,oil is sucking hind tit right now.
Over 5,000 machine shops have been shuttered due to the oil industries suckatude.
We stay ahead because we learned from the shitstorn of the eighties when oil went to shit and we expanded our investments.

Texas is fast catching up to silicon valley and we're taking companies from other states hand over fist.

You can check me on this but last I heard Texas had the 14th best economy on the planet......color me not worried......

Dude,oil is sucking hind tit right now.
Over 5,000 machine shops have been shuttered due to the oil industries suckatude.
We stay ahead because we learned from the shitstorn of the eighties when oil went to shit and we expanded our investments.

Texas is fast catching up to silicon valley and we're taking companies from other states hand over fist.

You can check me on this but last I heard Texas had the 14th best economy on the planet......color me not worried......
Comparison between U.S. states and countries by GDP (nominal) - Wikipedia

The infrastructure is pretty damn good. Many of our 2 lane county roads have posted speed limits of 75 MPH. Spaghetti junctions in all the major cities. Safe bridges and the dams don't collapse.

When I lived in the sticks and was on the co-op, when we had a blizzard we had brown outs. Didn't hurt us, as we a generator, food, beer, ammo, gas and propane.

Ok, but doesn't extreme temps cause people to use more power? Maybe more than can be handled a small plant?

That's why I mentioned above " Brown outs" . Texas has those a lot , whether this is from that or not is hard to say right now. or when I posted it that is.

Again..I've lived in Texas for 45 years and never experienced a brown out.... not once.

Move to Amarillo, and you'll get to experience power outages and brown outs in the summertime. I know that the power goes out on my street at least once during the summertime, and sometimes two or three times during the summer.

Matter of fact, one of the reasons that I had to finally get a flat screen tv is because the 32 inch tube tv I had got killed during a power outage once.

There's a small section of pan handle that isnt in the Texas grid.
It appears to be around Amarillo but i couldnt find a map confirming it.

I wasn't saying YOU personally experienced it, I was simply just mentioning " BROWN OUTS" as a general cause of power failures.
I had it backwards anyway it is not from summer it is from Winter..........

COLD WEATHER BROWN OUTS
I work for a large electric utility company. The office building I work in is currently operating on half power. I arrived to work this morning with half the lights off, all of the non-essential s turned off, and an email message that the heat will be on and off intermittently during the day. The email went on to prohibit the use of personal space heaters.

Why? The temperature outside is 12 degree’s Fahrenheit. During extreme temperatures this electric utility browns out all of their offices. To be clear, I am only talking about the electric utilities office buildings. The reason given for the brown out is the extra load on the entire regional grid. While it is true that the entire regional grid is experiencing a greater load, the brown out of a few office buildings does little if anything to reduce the overall load. What I believe this brown out is really about is making a political statement. The utility always preaches to the customers to reduce their loads, be more efficient and save energy. So the utility is practicing what it preaches.

But this brown out reveals something about the mentality and will of the utility. Given the ability to control power usage, the utility will use it as it deems fit. And this is where smart meters come in. Smart meters are being pilot tested in several small test markets in this region. The smart grid is being sold as a way to save money for the consumer and add convenience. However the real reason the utilities want a smart grid, is to reduce their operating cost, and have the ability to monitor and control the entire grid from a single control center.

In an interview with Jim Rogers of Duke Energy, Alex Chadwick of Burnanenergyjournal.com discusses the smart grid and how it would work. In the conversation the terms “demand side management” and “central control” are mentioned. When asked about how the smart grid would work Jim Rogers gave this example.

“Maybe the best example for me to share with you is this. We’ve done a project in south charlotte where we put sensing devices in the equipment within a home. And when someone makes a decision to start their dishwasher, they push the button, there is a delay as it sends a signal to the refrigerator. The refrigerator cycles down and once it reaches a certain level the dishwasher kicks in, completes its work and then sends a signal back to the refrigerator and it cycles back up.”

This seems like a good idea right? What’s wrong with not having your dishwasher and refrigerator running at the same time? While that kind of management seems innocent, it’s easy to think of many ways this kind of control can be used to disrupt our lives.

What does this mean for the consumer of the future hooked into the smart grid? It means that when the utility deems that the overall load is exceeding capacity the control center can send a message to every homes meter in the region to go on economy mode. Want to watch TV? Sorry, the utility deems that as non-essential, your TV won’t turn on. Want to take a nice hot bath? Sorry, the utility deems that as non essential also, so you’ll have to wait till next week to bathe.

At the same time the smart control grid is being built, the source of affordable plentiful power is being destroyed. Coal plants are being shut down all over the nation. With the EPA’s heavy burdens and regulations, coal plants just can’t make a profit. And once coal is completely eliminated as a source of energy, the cost to the consumer will rise and the reliability of the entire grid will be weakened.

“Duke Energy leader Jim Rogers on smart grids & brownouts”
Alex Chadwick, BURN Host

Duke Energy leader Jim Rogers on smart grids & brownouts
We generally spend the winter in Ft Worth instead of Charlotte. In 10 years the electric in White Settlement has never gone out but Charlotte has occasional ice storms that cause us to lose power from 3 days to 2 weeks. All because Charlotte is a city of trees and the electric lines are still on poles. What's frustrating is 15 miles from my house is Duke Power's McGuire Nuclear Plant, and when an ice storm hits, we have power crews from 12-15 states in here working 24/7 and I have to use kerosene heaters and candles. Stores and gas stations are closed and it's a good thing I grew up in Appalachia in the 40s.

Forum List

Back