Postal Service...shutting down???

I had better get a 911 address before they shut down. As it is now it is real hard for fedex or ups to deliver anything to me. I use the PO for a lot. My address is still PO BOX xxx

The one thing that people look past is "junk mail"...to this day direct mail advertising carries the highest "hit rate" than any other means of advertising.
Guess what that means? "junk" mail - WORKS.
Getting rid of direct mail removes the most successful form of advertising businesses have - especially in this economy - that would be incredibly stupid.

And "junk mail" has increased substantially since the "do not call" laws were passed.

There are no "do not mail" laws...

proof it works? Please note that the stuff you get on a weekly & mothly basis is coming from the SAME people over & over again.

it's a safe bet that these companies aren't continuing their direct mail campaigns because they enjoy supporting the USPS...

So if they shut down there will be no more mail fraud?
Things you get by other means will be exempt from the law.
One more consumer protection gone.

gees i said you were right......what more do you want?

but it is an obsolete service....plus face it...do you mail important stuff with the usps or do you use another carrier....i know i dont mail anything of importance with the usps.

but it is an obsolete service....plus face it...do you mail important stuff with the usps or do you use another carrier....i know i dont mail anything of importance with the usps.

if it's critical, it goes via fedex...

Several laws will need changing as many depend on official notifications thru the US mail.

the system is obsolete?

Just see what happens to this country without a postal service.

Says the dipshit who runs down to DMV the day before an election to get an ID card

lol....anyhoooo

USPS should be privatized, in order to keep it functioning :)

Ohh someone would love that so they could raid the USPS pension fund, which is the highest funded pension fund in all of the government agencies and higher than virtually all private pension funds.

then fold and make the taxpayers pay the retired postal workers pensions thru the PGBS? Forget the exact acronym.
It is called externalizing costs.

Last edited:

Several laws will need changing as many depend on official notifications thru the US mail.

that's a great idea! let's burden them with more regs while they are trying to figure out who to fire & how to make payroll!!

what postal service wont be filled by private services? certified mail will be done by ups or fed ex.
i just dont see supporting this crippled system or perhaps it just needs a revamping....but small post offices are gonna close....post offices handling under certain amounts of mail should be closed

The history of the Post Office is a fairly interesting one:

History of the United States Postal Service

Benjamin Franklin knew how important the mail was to businesses and he was instrumental in molding a service that would be good for commerce.

Junk mail is what has kept OUR rates low all these years. Without it we would have paid much more to mail a letter. In some countries just mailing a letter can cost $1.50. And it costs far more to mail a letter through private services than through the post offices. I have paid up to $10.00 just to send a letter through a private carrier.

The post office has become archaic, IMO, but I think we need to keep it alive. We never know when technology will fail, and I believe many will regret the loss if they have only private delivery services to depend on. Who's to say private services would be any better if they carried the entire load.

Last edited:
Just think of the mail box industry folding and how many jobs would be lost.
A mail box can only be used for USPS mail, it is the law.

The history of the Post Office is a fairly interesting one:

History of the United States Postal Service

Benjamin Franklin knew how important the mail was to businesses and he was instrumental in setting up a service that would be good for commerce.

Junk mail is what has kept OUR rates low all these years. Without it we would have paid much more to mail a letter. In some countries just mailing a letter can cost $1.50. And it costs far more to mail a letter through private services than through the post offices. I have paid up to $10.00 just to send a letter through a private carrier.

The post office has become archaic, IMO, but I think we need to keep it alive. We never know when technology will fail, and I believe many will regret the loss if they have only private delivery services to depend on. Who's to say private services would be any better if they carried the entire load.

Yep private industry would have to hire more workers, buy more trucks and still would not deliver a letter for the current USPS price. I figure at least 2.50 for a letter.

The death knell for Hallmark and the greeting card industry. Might as well just end Valentines day.

Very true.

Also a problem looming thanks technology changing the way things get done?

Offical "PAPERS OF RECORD"

What happens to that system of official public notication when the newpapers it counts on are going out of business?

Postal service is not obsolete or going broke. It's being made to over pay into it's retirement accounts.

OIG says USPS is overfunding FERS retirements, too - postalnews blog

Consistent with other retiree benefit obligations, the Postal Service is being unfairly burdened for its share of the FERS pension obligation. The OPM projected a $6.8 billion surplus in the Postal Service’s FERS obligation at the end of FY 2009. The OPM acknowledged that the federal government’s FERS obligation, excluding the Postal Service, was unfunded by $7.4 billion at the end of FY 2008.8 The funding status for the Postal Service, as well as the federal government, is calculated by subtracting the pension assets from the actuarial accrued liability. A higher liability results in an unfunded status, while a lower liability results in a surplus. According to the OPM, the liability is a projection for current and future benefit obligations and considers contributions paid into and disbursements from FERS. Overall, the liability is based on estimated demographics for the entire federal government, including the Postal Service.

However, the Postal Service’s benefits paid represent actual demographic behavior, such as early career turnover, and not the aggregate, resulting in a surplus status for the Postal Service and an unfunded status for the federal government.

Based on this data, the Postal Service’s overfunding issue is even larger than we previously reported. Similar to what we have noted in other OIG retiree benefit reports, Postal Service ratepayers continue to pay more than their fair share of retiree benefits. It is important that the trend of overpayments does not continue. The Postal Service faces a challenging future and its responsibilities and the true cost of funding postal operations needs to be absolutely clear. To address that challenge, the Postal Service is making operational changes to bring costs in line with revenue projections. Additionally, it is pursuing legislative changes to address concerns raised about pension and retiree health benefit payments. We believe management should also consider the FERS overfunding issue as the Postal Service pursues legislative changes.

Conservatives would just love to privatize this...so they are forcing a bankruptcy.

Forum List

Back