Politico mocked for 'embarrassing' article on Justin Trudeau's beard: 'Incapable of feeling shame'

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Politico was ridiculed Wednesday over a story about Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's "Significant" beard and how it symbolized his transformation into a weathered politician.

"At the very beginning of this interminable year, Justin Trudeau grew a beard," Politico tweeted. "The beard was Significant, a symbol of a once-youthful prime minister who was now older and wiser and battle-scarred."

The beard served as a framing device for author Maura Forrest's dive into the progressive politician's troubled year, which was dominated by his COVID-19 response, an ethics controversy, and unrealized liberal agenda items.

Politico should be mocked more often. They are absolutely useless.

Politico was ridiculed Wednesday over a story about Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's "Significant" beard and how it symbolized his transformation into a weathered politician.

"At the very beginning of this interminable year, Justin Trudeau grew a beard," Politico tweeted. "The beard was Significant, a symbol of a once-youthful prime minister who was now older and wiser and battle-scarred."

The beard served as a framing device for author Maura Forrest's dive into the progressive politician's troubled year, which was dominated by his COVID-19 response, an ethics controversy, and unrealized liberal agenda items.

To quote the Bard, much ado about nothing.

So somebody made a metaphorical observation about a beard and the passage of time. So what?

Seems to me the contrivance of whining that somebody did that is considerably more useless.

So somebody made a metaphorical observation about a beard and the passage of time. So what?

Seems to me the contrivance of whining that somebody did that is considerably more useless.

It was a crap article written by a child and for "news" organization that should receive more criticism than what it does.

It was a crap article written by a child and for "news" organization that should receive more criticism than what it does.

An article? Or a tweet? Can't be sure from your OP which calls it both.

Is there a link to the actual Politico article? Or whatever it is?

Based on what you've described "Justin Trudeau grew a beard" is not news. "What his growing a beard means", even less so. And if that's what it says it should not be called a "story" because it's not.

Based on what you've described "Justin Trudeau grew a beard" is not news. "What his growing a beard means", even less so. And if that's what it says it should not be called a "story" because it's not.

Thanks. So it appears to be the transcript of a podcast targeted to Canadians. No different from any other human interest piece. How is this one suddenly taken to the woodshed?

I can't read your original link because it goes to Fox Noise and immediately starts playing videos as if I'm retarded and can't read. I can't do that as I'm streaming music right now but it does make me wonder about the source. Why is Fox Noise whining about a Canadian podcast? Is it that slow a news day?

Thanks. So it appears to be the transcript of a podcast targeted to Canadians. No different from any other human interest piece. How is this one suddenly taken to the woodshed?

I can't read your original link because it goes to Fox Noise and immediately starts playing videos as if I'm retarded and can't read. I can't do that as I'm streaming music right now but it does make me wonder about the source. Why is Fox Noise whining about a Canadian podcast? Is it that slow a news day?
Hit the pause button on the video. Fox does "top stories" while reading. Hit pause on the screen and you can read the article in silence. A lot of people commented on the non story at Politico. It's sweet that you rushed to defend the article. However, ya can't just keep patting wanna be journalists and organizations on the head simply because they exist.

Hit the pause button on the video. Fox does "top stories" while reading. Hit pause on the screen and you can read the article in silence. A lot of people commented on the non story at Politico. It's sweet that you rushed to defend the article. However, ya can't just keep patting wanna be journalists and organizations on the head simply because they exist.

I can't do that. It puts a hole in my soundtrack.

I can't "defend" an article I haven't even seen (until now). What I did was I questioned why the criticism for no apparent reason. That's not the same as "defending" something. Surely you're intelligent enough to figure that out, unless you're going for the completely emotional knee-jerk. And I notice you didn't address the question.

When I see a claim that something is "mocked" and then find out the mocking entity was Fox Noise, umma need a little more meat to chew on.

Last edited:

I can't "defend" an article I haven't even seen (until now). What I did was I questioned why the criticism for no apparent reason. That's not the same as "defending" something. Surely you're intelligent enough to figure that out, unless you're going for the completely emotional knee-jerk. And I notice you didn't address the question.
Yet you appeared to do just that.

Oh did I now.

Quote me.

For that matter read the whole thread thus far. The only value judgments are on your end. I have yet to see enough to make one.

Oh did I now.

Quote me.
I have been quoting you for the entirety of this conversation.

Now I've had a chance to see the Fox link and I see I didn't miss much. First it calls its subject a "story", then immediately pivots to "a tweet". That's confusing enough about what their thrust is but scrolling down the page all I see is a "report" that said "mocking" is going on ......... in the Twatterverse.

Really, mocking is going on in the Twatterverse. No shit. What a revelation.

That's it, a "report" that Twatters are trolling. There doesn't seem to be any original content other than "here's what twitter-twits twatted". The page admits up front that the Politico page (the actual one, not the tweet), "served as a framing device for author Maura Forrest's dive into the progressive politician's troubled year" --- which is a perfectly valid way to set up a year-end review.

Then I Googled for anybody else reporting "mocking Politico Trudeau". All I got was the same Fox Noise page. And I never did hear any theory as to why the Fox Noise page is whining about what a Canadian podcast is using for a framing device and contributing nothing other than revealing to the world that there are trolling twits on Twatter.

My original interrogative first impression stands: "So what?" :dunno:

I did not read the Politico page enough to "defend" it. While I have some knowledge of Canadian public affairs from CBC I don't consider myself as having the expertise to judge it. But as a framing device I'm at a loss to see how it's any different from any other year-end review of current affairs.

Now I've had a chance to see the Fox link and I see I didn't miss much. First it calls its subject a "story", then immediately pivots to "a tweet". That's confusing enough about what their thrust is but scrolling down the page all I see is a "report" that said "mocking" is going on ......... in the Twatterverse.

That's it, a "report" that Twatters are trolling. There doesn't seem to be any original content other than "here's what twitter-twits twatted". The page admits up front that the Politico page (the actual one, not the tweet), "served as a framing device for author Maura Forrest's dive into the progressive politician's troubled year" --- which is a perfectly valid way to set up a year-end review.

Then I Googled for anybody else reporting "mocking Politico Trudeau". All I got was the same Fox Noise page. And I never did hear any theory as to why the Fox Noise page is whining about what a Canadian podcast is using for a framing device and contributing nothing other than revealing to the world that there are trolling twits on Twatter.

I did not read the Politico page enough to "defend" it. While I have some knowledge of Canadian public affairs from CBC I don't consider myself as having the expertise to judge it. But as a framing device I'm at a loss to see how it's any different from any other year-end review of current affairs.

Your post would have merit if these people that were doing the "mocking" did not work in the media. However, they do work in the media and your post has no merit.

It's not journalism. It's shit.

Your post would have merit if these people that were doing the "mocking" did not work in the media. However, they do work in the media and your post has no merit.

It's not supposed to have "merit". It's a query as to what the point is.

What Fox Noise did --- "reporting" that Twitterers are twitting --- certainly isn't journalism. That's not a story. And no one has ever claimed that a year-in-review analysis is "journalism". That's not a story either. So I'm afraid your line "it's not journalism" is a straw man.

A quick look at the current Politico front page features a lead story called "Biden allies push back on sweeping plan to promote fair housing". That's journalism. Down the page there's a piece called "I'm the Reason Elvis Met Nixon". That's not.

A subjective review of Justin Trudeau's year using his beard as a starting point/metaphor isn't either. Nobody said it is.

From the home page of the Corridors program:

>> I’m Maura Forrest, and along with our POLITICO Canada team, I’ll be walking the corridors of power to bring you the latest insights and analysis from inside Ottawa politics. By signing up for POLITICO Canada's Corridors you’ll be joining a community of politicos – from lawmakers and leaders to pollsters, staffers, strategists, and lobbyists – who are shaping the future of Canada. Each week we’ll shed light on what’s driving the agenda on Parliament Hill—and on the players shaping politics and policy. << (emphasis added)​

Looking over the archived programs on that page it appears analysis of Canadian affairs is ALL they do. I just don't see the point in Fox Noise (and apparently only Fox Noise) pissing bandwidth away on snickering about tweets about a podcast that publishes every week -- in Canada. I don't see how that qualifies as a "story". If Fox actually runs out to put a page out every time some Twatter posts a snark, things must be very busy there indeed.

Oh and by the way I work in the media too soooooo................ :dunno:

Last edited:

What Fox Noise did --- "reporting" that Twitterers are twitting --- certainly isn't journalism. That's not a story. And no one has ever claimed that a year-in-review analysis is "journalism". That's not a story either. So I'm afraid your line "it's not journalism" is a straw man.

A quick look at the current Politico front page features a lead story called "Biden allies push back on sweeping plan to promote fair housing". That's journalism. Down the page there's a piece called "I'm the Reason Elvis Met Nixon". That's not.

A subjective review of Justin Trudeau's year using his beard as a starting point/metaphor isn't either. Nobody said it is.

If you don't see a problem with Maura Forrest's "analysis" then perhaps you are part of the problem. It's shit. She isn't a journalist. It's a shit news organization and most people do not consider them as a reputable source for anything.

I don't care where the hell you work soooooo...........

>> I’m Maura Forrest, and along with our POLITICO Canada team, I’ll be walking the corridors of power to bring you the latest insights and analysis from inside Ottawa politics. By signing up for POLITICO Canada's Corridors you’ll be joining a community of politicos – from lawmakers and leaders to pollsters, staffers, strategists, and lobbyists – who are shaping the future of Canada. Each week we’ll shed light on what’s driving the agenda on Parliament Hill—and on the players shaping politics and policy. << (emphasis added)​

Looking over the archived programs on that page it appears analysis of Canadian affairs is ALL they do. I just don't see the point in Fox Noise (and apparently only Fox Noise) pissing bandwidth away on snickering about tweets about a podcast that publishes every week -- in Canada. I don't see how that qualifies as a "story". If Fox actually runs out to put a page out every time some Twatter posts a snark, things must be very busy there indeed.

If you don't see a problem with Maura Forrest's "analysis" then perhaps you are part of the problem. It's shit. She isn't a journalist. It's a shit news organization and most people do not consider them as a reputable source for anything.

Whelp, you seemed to hold it up as a "qualification" for Twatters twittering, so I just nullified that ---- I guess, I don't know what it was supposed to mean the first time. :dunno: Actually looking over the Twit authors the only name I recognize in there is "Prager U" which is absolutely in no way a "journalist". Now to be fair your characterization was that they "work in the media", which does qualify a propagandist upchucking a lot of revisionist history to YouTube but I'm not sure how that qualifies Pregger as a worthy critic. But again, I "work in the media" too, but that's not what qualifies me to observe that there's no there here.

Once again --- commentary isn't journalism. Nobody ever claimed it is. Commentary has nothing to do with "sources for" anything. The source is the author, period.

As for a qualitative analysis of the analysis, I'm not qualified to assess her assessment of Trudeau. If you are, go ahead and be specific. But simply dismissing it as "shit" tells us nothing.

Strange thread.

Last edited:

Whelp, you seemed to hold it up as a "qualification" for Twatters twittering, so I just nullified that ---- I guess, I don't know what it was supposed to mean the first time. :dunno: Actually looking over the Twit authors the only name I recognize in there is "Prager U" which is absolutely in no way a "journalist". Now to be fair your characterization was that they "work in the media", which does qualify a propagandist upchucking a lot of revisionist history to YouTube but I'm not sure how that qualifies Pregger as a worthy critic. But again, I "work in the media" too, but that's not what qualifies me to observe that there's no there here.

Once again --- commentary isn't journalism. Nobody ever claimed it is. Commentary has nothing to do with "sources for" anything. The source is the author, period.

As for a qualitative analysis of the analysis, I'm not qualified to assess her assessment of Trudeau. If you are, go ahead and be specific. But simply dismissing it as "shit" tells us nothing.

Strange thread.
"Did a beard write this," the Washington Post's Dave Weigel joked.

David Weigel
Washington, D.C.
National reporter covering politicsEducation: Northwestern University, B.S. in Journalism, 2004David Weigel is a national political correspondent covering Congress and grass-roots political movements. He is the author of "The Show That Never Ends," a history of progressive rock music.Professional
Affiliations: Washington-Baltimore News Guild
  • Books by David Weigel:
  • The Show That Never Ends: The Rise and Fall of Prog Rock
  • Buy on Amazon

"See if you guys can do a 3000 word piece on Trudeau's chest hair and what implications that has for Canada's GDP and debt," Daily Wire contributing editor Harry Khachatrian tweeted.

Strange thread.
"Did a beard write this," the Washington Post's Dave Weigel joked.

David Weigel
Washington, D.C.
National reporter covering politicsEducation: Northwestern University, B.S. in Journalism, 2004David Weigel is a national political correspondent covering Congress and grass-roots political movements. He is the author of "The Show That Never Ends," a history of progressive rock music.Professional
Affiliations: Washington-Baltimore News Guild
  • Books by David Weigel:
  • The Show That Never Ends: The Rise and Fall of Prog Rock
  • Buy on Amazon

"See if you guys can do a 3000 word piece on Trudeau's chest hair and what implications that has for Canada's GDP and debt," Daily Wire contributing editor Harry Khachatrian tweeted.

Thank you for that trip down Whocares Lane. We could do the same for the podcast author (National Post, Yukon Times IIRC) but again who cares.

You still have a "story" the basis of which is "look, trolls trolling on Twitter". That's not news. That's not even worth whoever's drawing a salary at Fox Noise to put it up.

And you tried several times to describe a year-in-review opinion piece as "journalism" and you've described the content of that podcast as "shit", giving zero details about anything that makes it "shit". Nor does this post add anything to flesh that out.

Still don't know what your point is here. Or what Fox Noise's point was in posting gee-whiz "articles" about Twatter?

Is that what you're saying isn't journalism? Fox News? Because if that's the point it's not at all clear as it seems to point to Politico.

Some stupid bitch who works at the news reporter’s office is high on marijuana. Who gives a fuck? The news online is all pay-per-view or else they make money placing advertisements.

You douches want people fired for blackface, but its OK for the canadian prime minister or VA govenor......go fuck off

Forum List

Back