Play those great tunes.

This kid could be the new SRV...

Yeah I see videos of little kid shredders all the time. I used to put them up on a guitar board I was on when people would post videos of themselves shredding thinking they were hot stuff. Sometimes the guitar is as big as they are. I was watching some young Spanish kids doing flamingo licks on classical guitars a day or two ago. They were pretty hot. I don't know how those tiny little hands and fingers manage it.

Yeah I see videos of little kid shredders all the time. I used to put them up on a guitar board I was on when people would post videos of themselves shredding thinking they were hot stuff. Sometimes the guitar is as big as they are. I was watching some young Spanish kids doing flamingo licks on classical guitars a day or two ago. They were pretty hot. I don't know how those tiny little hands and fingers manage it.

You ever see the guy with no arms playing Cry For You with his feet with Andy Timmons ?

You ever see the guy with no arms playing Cry For You with his feet with Andy Timmons ?

Yep.
What I hate is how they're all better than I am. Some people have it and some don't, I don't but that's ok I had other talents I could make my living with. I just like the guitar and can recognize and appreciate real talent when I see it. Maybe sucking at something makes one appreciate it more because you know it's not so easy.

Yep.
What I hate is how they're all better than I am. Some people have it and some don't, I don't but that's ok I had other talents I could make my living with. I just like the guitar and can recognize and appreciate real talent when I see it. Maybe sucking at something makes one appreciate it more because you know it's not so easy.
For some it comes naturally, others have to work at it, but there are no shortcuts if you want to impress anyone with your skills these days. If you put the work in you can be self-taught and play everything by ear and still be as good as someone who took lessons, reads sheet music and has every chord and scale memorized. Once you know the rules you can break them. And it's better to be really good at a few things, then to be average at everything, you know ? I suck at fingerpicking, for example so I don't play much acoustic and I've built on mostly alternate picking, vibrato, bending notes, improvising leads , pinch harmonics, and generally feeling the music. ( If I'm stressed or depressed I usually don't play )

I could sit in as lead for a blues, R&B or country band, but I don't know 50 or 60 songs to make it in a rock or metal cover band. I can play an old Journey or Santana song on the stereo and play along through my amp and make it sound better-- tweak the leads and add to them , etc....That's about my level --I make some Mariah Carey songs and stuff like that sound like metal ( it's fun)

Last edited:
Way before the Internet, I bought a Larry Carlton instructional VCR cassette at a music store that opened a lot of doors for me- things I still incorporate all the time like starting a note in a bend-- little arpeggio string skips, circular picking....

Last edited:

Forum List

Back