Philip Seymour Hoffman

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
A brilliant actor who could play anything from a drag queen to a cold blooded killer to Truman Capote and make you believe it. I watched a movie called "Before the devil knows you're dead" 2007 where Hoffman is a part time heroin addict. He takes a shot of heroin in the movie that looked so real that he had to have been used to it. A couple of years later at 46 years old he was found dead with a needle in his arm and 70 bags of heroin in the apartment.
A smart and talented guy like Hoffman offed himself with heroin. How crazy is that?

A brilliant actor who could play anything from a drag queen to a cold blooded killer to Truman Capote and make you believe it. I watched a movie called "Before the devil knows you're dead" 2007 where Hoffman is a part time heroin addict. He takes a shot of heroin in the movie that looked so real that he had to have been used to it. A couple of years later he was found dead with a needle in his arm and 70 bags of heroin in the apartment.
A smart and talented guy like Hoffman offed himself with heroin. How crazy is that?
What a sad waste of talent. RIP, Mr. Hoffman.

A brilliant actor who could play anything from a drag queen to a cold blooded killer to Truman Capote and make you believe it. I watched a movie called "Before the devil knows you're dead" 2007 where Hoffman is a part time heroin addict. He takes a shot of heroin in the movie that looked so real that he had to have been used to it. A couple of years later he was found dead with a needle in his arm and 70 bags of heroin in the apartment.

It's only a "sad waste of talent" because he was an actor. If his talent had been in raising cows, no one would have cared.

A brilliant actor who could play anything from a drag queen to a cold blooded killer to Truman Capote and make you believe it. I watched a movie called "Before the devil knows you're dead" 2007 where Hoffman is a part time heroin addict. He takes a shot of heroin in the movie that looked so real that he had to have been used to it. A couple of years later at 46 years old he was found dead with a needle in his arm and 70 bags of heroin in the apartment.
We heard this same story a million times before.

Wasn't he clean for a bit before he died? When a detoxed addict resumes the habit, a fatal mistake is using the same dose when they stopped. Usually accidental

He was an excellent actor. I noticed him in Scent of a Woman and Talented Mr. Ripley.

Actually, the Talented Mr. Ripley may be one of the best acted movies films of all time and probably underrated by most. Even though I am not a particular fan of ANY of the actors in the movie, except for Seymour.

Yes, don't put poison in your body. God gave us a temple, we should at least try to keep it clean, Sadly, like so many before him, he succumbed to his demons.

RIP.

Some of our most talented people have had substance abuse probs. Edgar Allen Poe was a drunk, Van Gogh, Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Mama Cass, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain, John Belushi and on and on. Maybe there is a connection between genius and drug abuse.

It's only a "sad waste of talent" because he was an actor. If his talent had been in raising cows, no one would have cared.

Indeed, because no one would know him. How many have died due to the poisons sent from overseas and into poor communities? Too manty to count, name or envision. The faceless dead.

In university a "friend" of mine was driving downtown and saw a homeless man. He began to call him names and drove off, told me "look at that POS".

I laid into him about him not knowing the guys history. Maybe he was abused in life and unable to cope. Maybe he had been railroaded by some sob or was thrown a bad curveball in life. I was fairly angry at this guy for taking shots at some man he knew nothing about then reminded him how lucky he is to have a loving family that let's him live at home for free at the age of 24 (something I never had from my parents),

Ultimately, what is worse to society? A homeless man who has lost his way and hurts no one else, or some powerful A-hole who ruins lives, dreams and commits atrocities?

Everyone has value. I dislike reading the story of the homeless guy who freezes to death under a bridge as much as I read the story of a Hollywood actor who gave into his demon.

There is probably a little more disdain for the actor only because they threw away the opportunities that so few others had.

Hoffman was in detox at 22. When you are a celeb and everybody loves you , detox means never having to say you are sorry. Did the producers of the "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" movie use Hoffman's knowledge of heroin use to produce an accurate representation of the drug that would kill him in 7 years? No telling what H'wood would do for a buck.

Last edited:

Good point. Thank you.

Sad waste for sure. Heroin kills folks.

Probably suffered from depression like most performers. When they're off stage, things go dark.

Substance abuse represents a major drain on a person’s wallet. And whereas many abusers have to be creative when it comes to finding ways to sustain their habit, celebrities often need look no further than their oversized bank account. Simply put, the rich and the famous can afford to feed an addiction in a way the average nine-to-fiver can’t. The fact that they are famous means they have a media following and nothing draws the media more than the fall of the rich and famous.

The poor jerk who works 10 hours a day raising a few cows, doesn't have the time, the money, nor the media following so he's not likely to be a user, and if he is, you're not likely to hear about it.

I liked him in Charlie Wilson's war.

He was an excellent actor. I noticed him in Scent of a Woman and Talented Mr. Ripley.

Actually, the Talented Mr. Ripley may be one of the best acted movies films of all time and probably underrated by most. Even though I am not a particular fan of ANY of the actors in the movie, except for Seymour.

Yes, don't put poison in your body. God gave us a temple, we should at least try to keep it clean, Sadly, like so many before him, he succumbed to his demons.

RIP.
From his very first movie he was in demand accepting only roles he felt he could play well. He kept his private life private, shunned the media, and was dedicated to his family. When asked about his private life, he said, "The less you know about me the more interesting it will be to watch me do what I do".

Substance abuse represents a major drain on a person’s wallet. And whereas many abusers have to be creative when it comes to finding ways to sustain their habit, celebrities often need look no further than their oversized bank account. Simply put, the rich and the famous can afford to feed an addiction in a way the average nine-to-fiver can’t. The fact that they are famous means they have a media following and nothing draws the media more than the fall of the rich and famous.

The poor jerk who works 10 hours a day raising a few cows, doesn't have the time, the money, nor the media following so he's not likely to be

The poor jerk who works 10 hours a day raising a few cows, doesn't have the time, the money, nor the media following so he's not likely to be a user, and if he is, you're not likely to hear about it.
Prescription drugs are easy to account for but star struck drug dealers are likely to supply celebrities with a more potent form of the drug than the ordinary street stuff they are used to and sooner or later a really strong dose kills them.

Forum List

Back