Peak Geothermal

Hopefully I did this right, here is Old Crock's post from "Oregon the welfare state". I appreciate when others point out the failures of Green Energy

http://www.usmessageboard.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3135878

http://www.geothermal.org/articles/California.pdf

Coso Geothermal Field
Located within the China Lake U.S. Naval Air Weapons Station near Ridgecrest, CA, power plants at the Coso Geothermal Field are currently operated by Caithness Energy, LLC (Reno, NV). The
field’s reservoir is in a Mesozoic granitic/metamorphic complex underlying the Quaternary Coso Volcanic Field. It currently produces 270 MW from four geothermal power plants. More than 100
wells have been drilled throughout the field, with production depths from 2,000 to 12,000 feet, and temperatures from 200° to 350°C. Coso began generating electricity in 1987. Since then, improvements
have resulted in more efficient use of the resource.

Together with an annual drilling program, these improvements have helped keep the geothermal field producing far above its contract capacity of 210 MW. Future improvements to the field’s injection system, injection augmentation, and relocation of injection fluids to mine heat from the margins of the resource (where there are high temperatures and low permeability) will help sustain the Coso resource
well into the future.

The latter effort is the subject of a DOEsponsored multidisciplinary study led by the University of Utah’s
Energy and Geosciences Institute. For more information on the Coso Geothermal Field and its power operations, refer to “Model for Success,” on page 186 of this issue of the GRC Bulletin.

I believe in the following lawsuit concerning this particular geothermal plant, the California courts and Obama's EPA dismissed the environmental disaster of this geothermal plant. Seems the geothermal was more important than the environment, yet as I posted previously, the geothermal plant failed despite being allowed to destroy the environment.

Little Lake Ranch Sues County, Coso

Little Lake Ranch, Inc. has filed an environmental lawsuit against Inyo County, the Board of Supervisors, the Inyo Planning Commission, Planning Department and against Coso Geothermal over Coso's approved project to pump and export water in southern Inyo.

The Little Lake Ranch owns 1200 acres in Rose Valley where Coso plans to pump water. The Ranch also owns Little Lake itself, along with other waterways and wildlife habitat areas. The lawsuit, filed last Friday in Inyo Superior Court, alleges that construction and operation of the Coso oproject will "irreparably harm the environment" by impairing the availability of water within Rose Valley and the flow of water into Little Lake.

The suit also alleges that water will be denied to downstream ponds and an entire riparian corridor "damaging environmentally sensitive wetlands, including the habitat and wildlife located therein...."

Little Lake Ranch wants a restraining order and injunction. The lawsuit also alleges that the Inyo Supervisors failed to follow environmental law in their approvals of Coso's plans.

The lawsuit calls the environmental impact report on the Coso project inadequate. The suit also alleges that Inyo officials violated county code in failing to properly consider evidence while making a decision.

Coso officials responded to say they are disappointed to learn that Little Lake Ranch has filed a suit to try to stop their project, which they say will create clean power for thousands of homes. Coso points to what they call a "four-year environmental and regulatory review process by Inyo County, state and federal agencies. They also point to the monitoring program required by Inyo and Coso's commitment to work with Inyo and Little Lake as groundwater pumping begins.

Hopefully I did this right, here is Old Crock's post from "Oregon the welfare state". I appreciate when others point out the failures of Green Energy

Coso Geothermal Field
Located within the China Lake U.S. Naval Air Weapons Station near Ridgecrest, CA, power plants at the Coso Geothermal Field are currently operated by Caithness Energy, LLC (Reno, NV). The
field’s reservoir is in a Mesozoic granitic/metamorphic complex underlying the Quaternary Coso Volcanic Field. It currently produces 270 MW from four geothermal power plants. More than 100
wells have been drilled throughout the field, with production depths from 2,000 to 12,000 feet, and temperatures from 200° to 350°C. Coso began generating electricity in 1987. Since then, improvements

Together with an annual drilling program, these improvements have helped keep the geothermal field producing far above its contract capacity of 210 MW. Future improvements to the field’s injection system, injection augmentation, and relocation of injection fluids to mine heat from the margins of the resource (where there are high temperatures and low permeability) will help sustain the Coso resource
well into the future.

The latter effort is the subject of a DOEsponsored multidisciplinary study led by the University of Utah’s
Energy and Geosciences Institute. For more information on the Coso Geothermal Field and its power operations, refer to “Model for Success,” on page 186 of this issue of the GRC Bulletin.

Yep. Producing more than 60 mw over what was predicted.

Coso Geothermal Field

well into the future.

Yep. Producing more than 60 mw over what was predicted.

You just cannot quit your lies, what is true in 1999 is not true in the 2011, what is today's production. So low that Moody has rated the stock as a "Negative"

One, Old Crock has been calling Geothermal Renewable Energy, the link Old Crock provides states the opposite.

Power plant developers typically aim for an economic life of
20 to 30 years for a given geothermal resource

Two, Old Crock is using a source that is a decade old, the information from this report is from the late 1980's. The report is speaking of the Peak Power, literally my thread, Peak Geothermal at this site. The date given prior to the capacity vs output that Old Crock cites is 1987. At the time of this report that capacity has diminished and the new number is not included in the report. What is stated is the Department of Energy is researching ways to maintain previous production levels. Old Crock selectively leaves out the date of 1987. Check the actual article to see who is right.

Coso began generating electricity in 1987. Since then, improvements have resulted in more efficient use of the resource. Together
with an annual drilling program, these improvements have helped
keep the geothermal field producing far above its contract capacity of 210 MW. Future improvements to the field’s injection system, injection augmentation, and relocation of injection fluids to
mine heat from the margins of the resource (where there are high
temperatures and low permeability) will help sustain the Coso resource well into the future

Three, further proof the information is old is the sources listed at the end of the article.

Campbell, R., 2000. “Mammoth Geothermal—A Development History,” Geothermal Resources
Council Bulletin, v. 29, p. 91-95.
Donnelly-Nolan, J.M., 1998. “A Magmatic Model of Medicine Lake Volcano, California,”
Journal of Geophysical Research, v. 93, p. 4412-4420.
Donnelly-Nolan, J.M., 1990. “Geology of Medicine Lake Volcano, Northern California Cascade
Range,” Geothermal Resources Council Transactions, v. 14, p. 1395-1396.
Heavner, B., and Churchill, S., 2002. Renewables Work—Job Growth from Renewable Energy
Development in California, CALPIRG Charitable Trust report, 36 pp.
Hulen, J.B., and Lutz, S.J., 1999. “Altered Volcanic Rocks as Hydrologic Seals on the Geothermal
System of Medicine Lake Volcano, California,” Geothermal Resources Council Bulletin,
v. 28, p. 217-222.
Muffler, L.J.P. (editor), 1979. Assessment of Geothermal Resources of the United States-1978,
U.S Geological Survey Circular 790.
Sones, R., and Schochet, D.N., 1999. “Binary Geothermal Plant Development at the Heber,
California Geothermal Resource Area,” Geothermal Resources Council Transactions, v.
23, p. 17-20.
Williams, C., 2001. USGS Heat Flow Database for California, http://proto-dev.wr.usgs.gov/
heatflow/index.html

Or if I check further another source is listed specific to COSO. Susan Petty left in 2002 and McCulloch is harder to nail down, he appears on many papers from Stanford university.

Anyhow this is a failed project that has received billions in research money over the last ten years, since the decline in production. One may argue its this "injection of water", into the wells that resulted in the complete failure of this project. Old Crock cites output from ten years ago, since then, Moody has downgraded the stock, its no longer recommended as a buy, its a negative asset. I gave the links, its in the post just a few above this one, Old Crock is ignoring the post or just showing us how stupid Old Crock is.

Jess McCulloch and Susan Petty (Caithness Energy - Reno, NV)

Isn't it inevitable that all energy sources will ultimately dry up? The question is just when it's all over. Sheesh, even the sun isn't going to burn forever.

i dont understand all these different "peak" threads you are creating, but how can there ever be such a peak when there is this as well

EarthComfort.com : Geothermal Heating and Cooling

any home can be geothermally heated and cooled
thus the potential is enormous

Heating and Cooling of homes by an individual I have never addressed. Using the term peak illustrates that we have reached a peak in what we can do with Solar, Geothermal, and Wind.

Solar, best places in the Desert, too far from the market, too expensive, uses too much water, covers too much land, uses too much of the resources it claims to save. That is peak.

Wind, literally the best spots for constantly blowing wind have already been developed, now we have to develop the most expensive sites, that is peak wind.

Geothermal is more difficult, the best sites are rare, each site is unique, Geothermal was never a good idea.

I have been speaking of commercial sources of electricity.

A friend of mine south of Pittsburgh uses a heat pump, saves him a bundle. Does not get him off the grid though, never will.

I do not like paying more money for everything, especially when Clean Energy pollutes the world more than fossil fuel, you must use fossil fuel to manufacture Clean Energy sources.

Make a copy of a copy, use energy to make a weaker source of energy, in this case one and one equals less than one.

Forum List

Back