PC or Apple?

Bullshit!

Not only were viruses rare, there was Norton Utilities, which later became Norton Systemworks, which can clean up an infected computer. Someone took advantage of your Mac ignorance.

I looked at Norton, which had no antivirus for Mac in the late 90's. Tools abounded for Windows systems, but Mac was a vast wasteland.Remember, Apple was just about out of the game at that point. This was before Jobs came back.

OSX is BSD (Unix) based and is vastly better than the Mac OS of the time, which was utter shit. Once Mac moved to BSD, there were many more tools availible, and Symantec started supporting them. I believe those piles of shit were on System 6.

Just as He was wrong about MacIIs, they had NuBus slots for expansion, you are wrong about current Macs. They are expandable via PCIe slots.

They (Apple) are running Foxconn motherboards that are functionally identical to a Foxconn you'd buy at Frys to build a PC. Other than limiting memory to 1600, there is virtually no difference on a hardware level between a modern Mac and PC using sub-standard Foxconn components.

Foxconn H61AP LGA 1155 Intel H61 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
You can install the Mac OS on a PC, commonly called a Hackintosh.

I have only owned PCs. I like opening them up, upgrading, etc. Much more flexibility with a PC.

I use Microsoft Office for a lot of database and spreadsheet programs. People tell me you can run Office on an Apple but many people have problems with it.

Then on the other hand, Rush Limbaugh swears by Apple.

I have only owned PCs. I like opening them up, upgrading, etc. Much more flexibility with a PC.

I use Microsoft Office for a lot of database and spreadsheet programs. People tell me you can run Office on an Apple but many people have problems with it.

Office on the Mac is very similar to Office 2010. I'm not aware of any issues with it. I've used the Mac version of Excel recently, and had no problems with it. It read and wrote standard XLSX files.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Microsoft Office runs fine on a Mac, but you can also use the free Open Office or NeoOffice on a Mac.

I like apples but I prefer them in pies, crisps, cobblers and cakes.

My first experience with Macs was a bad one. We acquired a company with about 80 Macs back in the late 90's. The damned things were so virus infected that they were unusable. We were trying to get inventory data and some basic job shop information off of them, but the virus would make them crash every 10 seconds or so. They had no cleaning software availible to the public, such as all that was common for the PC. So we had to hire some arrogant prick of a Mac expert to clean them. Naturally he was incompetent and didn't grasp the concept of networks. He'd clean one, and another would reinfect it. We finally isolated a couple of machines, cleaned them, and threw the rest away, because it was too expensive to disinfect the damned thing. Never liked Macs after that - all the lies about them not getting viruses only increased my disdain for them.

Then when I got my MBA, I wrote a profile on Apple, in which I did extensive research into their management models, investment strategies, off-shoring and distributed processing initiatives, etc. I found that Apple is about the shittiest company their is. Sergey Brin is right, Apple is evil, with a malevolence toward customer and employee alike.

So, I'm no fan of Apple...

:eusa_angel: I've been a pc guy forever because I like to tinker with the hardware and do my own upgrades and whatever. That's all a lot more convenient and cheaper with a pc. I've always felt Apple wants you to stay out of the innards.

I like apples but I prefer them in pies, crisps, cobblers and cakes.

My first experience with Macs was a bad one. We acquired a company with about 80 Macs back in the late 90's. The damned things were so virus infected that they were unusable. We were trying to get inventory data and some basic job shop information off of them, but the virus would make them crash every 10 seconds or so. They had no cleaning software availible to the public, such as all that was common for the PC. So we had to hire some arrogant prick of a Mac expert to clean them. Naturally he was incompetent and didn't grasp the concept of networks. He'd clean one, and another would reinfect it. We finally isolated a couple of machines, cleaned them, and threw the rest away, because it was too expensive to disinfect the damned thing. Never liked Macs after that - all the lies about them not getting viruses only increased my disdain for them.

Then when I got my MBA, I wrote a profile on Apple, in which I did extensive research into their management models, investment strategies, off-shoring and distributed processing initiatives, etc. I found that Apple is about the shittiest company their is. Sergey Brin is right, Apple is evil, with a malevolence toward customer and employee alike.

So, I'm no fan of Apple...

:eusa_angel: I've been a pc guy forever because I like to tinker with the hardware and do my own upgrades and whatever. That's all a lot more convenient and cheaper with a pc. I've always felt Apple wants you to stay out of the innards.
Apple makes it easy to play with their innards.

mp-inside.jpg

Get the top of the line Mac Pro and you won't have to buy another laptop for about 6 years.
If a PC, shop for a top of the line Asus.
Go with Apple as you get what you pay for.

Apple or PC? As I have stated numerous times it's a personal choice and has it's own Chevy, Ford "battle" going on.
For those who think Apple is indestructible all one has to do is look online for refurbished units, percentage wise it's about equal to PCs. PCs have their issues also but as with all things man-made something's gonna break eventually.
Are Apples virus proof? Not at all it's simply that the vast majority of malware is written for Windows PCs, it's the biggest market, duh.....
With Apples, one pays more for a product which may or may not last as long as some here claim and is less versatile, in many ways than PCs. Can one get a PC that will last as long or longer than an Apple, of course, I have PCs that are 10 years old and still running, I test Linux distributions on them.
If you think Apple will work best for you then by all means, buy it. If you think a Windows PC is your best bet then go for it. If you think a Linux PC is the way to go buy a refurbished without an operating system and load Linux.
Don't rely on others experiences to make your decision, go with what you want, go with your gut, it's that simple.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Microsoft Office runs fine on a Mac, but you can also use the free Open Office or NeoOffice on a Mac.

I hate Office and often have to use OpenFreely to get into old files.

Good to know I can still get into them if I go with a Mac.

Get the top of the line Mac Pro and you won't have to buy another laptop for about 6 years.
If a PC, shop for a top of the line Asus.
Go with Apple as you get what you pay for.

I'm fed up with pc's that last a year or two and then start getting weird glitches.

Not sure when I'll buy but will probably go with a top of the line Mac.

I can't even begin to count the number of documents I wrote on a Selectric - and all the White Out I used.

And then - I got an IBM MST Selectric, probably one of the first ever word processors.

Here's what I've been told -

If you want a machine that's great for graphics, go with the MAC

Must be 1990...

Actually, Photoshop CS5 performs better on Windows 7, using the identical CPU, graphics card, and amount of RAM, than on Mac. (Though PC's have faster memory than Mac with DDR3 hitting 3600) Windows is a more efficient operating system than OSX.

I was using a Selectric in the 70s!!! :eusa_whistle:

Apple or Mac? Depends on what you want. Toro's experience with PCs isn't normal unless one is buying their PCs from Acme all the time.......
My personal take is Apple is over-hyped, over-priced and overly restrictive (software, etc.).

Ringel NOT speak with forked tongue!

My personal opinion is to get a PC, then load Ubuntu onto it, creating a duel-boot machine.

Then use Ubuntu for all your web surfing. Only boot to the Windows side if you need a specific Microsoft or Windows program.

I think if you are like most people, you will find that you can do 90% of what you want on the Ubuntu side (Open Office, Firefox, etc.) without having to ever worry about installing virus and malware protection.

Apple or Mac? Depends on what you want. Toro's experience with PCs isn't normal unless one is buying their PCs from Acme all the time.......
My personal take is Apple is over-hyped, over-priced and overly restrictive (software, etc.).

My personal opinion is to get a PC, then load Ubuntu onto it, creating a duel-boot machine.

Then use Ubuntu for all your web surfing. Only boot to the Windows side if you need a specific Microsoft or Windows program.

I think if you are like most people, you will find that you can do 90% of what you want on the Ubuntu side (Open Office, Firefox, etc.) without having to ever worry about installing virus and malware protection.

Uuummmm, there are viruses written for Linux. Install Clam AV just in case.

There is built-in firewall and virus protection in Ubuntu.

You can install Ubuntu on a Mac as well as Windows and have a triple boot machine and run everybody's SW.

How to Triple-Boot Your Mac with Windows and Linux, No Boot Camp Required

There is built-in firewall and virus protection in Ubuntu.

Yeah, the name of the virus protection is Clam AV........ :eusa_whistle:
Not everyone thinks or knows to install it from Software Center, it doesn't work automatically.

Forum List

Back