PC Games

I'm already addicted enough to this game I am in.

Apparently there are three different chat programs players use. The guild I am in uses the most updated tech, apparently Skype is SOO last decade.

lol

My kid really likes the fast past action part, I'm too old for that. I like the strategy, the chat, the community, the crafting. .. And, well, the evolving story. Oh hell, there is just too much and something for everyone.

This review was made six years ago when you had to pay for it, like I said, the base game is free now. . .

I like strategy games like this, isn't there Guild Wars 3 and 4 out now? And I agree on the fast paced online RTS games they leave little to enjoy between frantic building and attacking/defending. Age of Empires was like that and various people always had some special hack they did where they'd cheat the system. After a while it's like ok you don't really want to play the game you want to semi-cheat with people that haven't played 1000 hours like you have.

No, just expansions to number 2. New versions would separate and spread out the player base. Instead, they focus on the current version, creating new story and new content.

I also think the reason is, in order to get the most players on-line and playing, they want to limit the specs of the PC that is needed to Play.

I remember when GW2 was first released, we could not even play it, our machines were too slow, we played GW for several years before our machines died and we bought new ones.

And then, like you, we were searching for a multi-player communal game.

STEAM has pretty much cornered the market in PC gaming, except for MMO gaming.

That left us with a few choices. Did we want to have an RPG flavor, or an RTS flavor? It really came down to World of War craft (monthly sub. . no thanks,) Starcraft, or Guild Wars 2, and there are a few other smaller ones. We had played Runescape many many years ago. . but meh, we had much more powerful machines now.

When you are gaming, and you want community, you pretty much have to go where the people, (the young) are.

I searched for a long time on STEAM to see what was the most popular and we weren't really into the FPS type games. . . those just get repetitive and dull. If you are into the call of duty or Fall Out type, there are plenty out there to choose from, not much time for cooperation and community with that type though, IMO. I like to form community to play against the game, not others. . . but you can get the PvP with GW2 as well.

I have heard of folks trying to cheat on GW2, but there is a moderation team that will find out, and they have banned folks for it, and players are aware, they don't like it, and thus, they don't do it.

I've played less than a year. Most of the time I play in player vs. environment. Occasionally I will enter world vs. world where one server battles another server, that is hella fun. My guild isn't really active in that aspect, not yet really. That really requires Teamspeak, skype, or that other app I was talking about. The server I am playing on, Eredon Terrace, is currently ranked forth from the bottom. I don't care about it that much, since I am not competitive. (The upside is, I have less problems with logging in than the more busy and popular servers, which is why I am there.) However, since I have played so much Civ 5, I have SO many ideas to help out the guild I am in when I am ready to focus more on that aspect. I will contact my guild leader when I am ready. I think what it will take is communication between guilds, currently, I don't think there is any. The folks in WvW are great at hack and slash, but I see no overall strategy.

I really do like the WvW, which incorporates elements of high strategy warfare, with large, and I mean sometimes groups of 30 or 40 players vs another 30 or 40 other players, with siege craft. It really is quite exciting trying to hold or siege a castle against another group. Or joining an elite group of spies or harassers trying to cut off the supply to a castle. . . .

This may be the one I was thinking about. The Guild 3 – Official Website

And I'm not looking for a multiplayer game, because of the bizarre behavior of many online I prefer single player games with goo A.I. now. Every game I've played online like Call Of Duty there were always a never ending line of hackers and cheaters that ruined the thing.

Oh, I also forgot to mention, before we went with GW2, we almost went with ARMA 3, that is an open world FPS.

I am just old and don't have the coordination for that.

But it might interest you.

Arma 3

I've been waiting for Arma 4 to come out for a while. Those games are much more reality based which I like.

Salutations and Excalibur.

I am looking for one or two new PC games to waste time on. Please don't post more than two thank you.

A strategy game that is Expert to Grognard in difficulty. I've had War In The Pacific for ten years and the depth in that is what I'm looking for. Something to play a turn or two each day. I like the detail. WITP: Admiral's Edition is also 9 years old so am looking for something new. I have Civil War II and Cities Skylines. MEH. Men of War Assault Squad 2 is great but also getting dated and have played through enough mods.

Also looking for a First Person Shooter like Far Cry 3-4. Open world, good story, a lot of depth and replay. FC3 and FC4 were great fun. The new Tomb Raiders were also very good. Call of Duty seems too scripted now. I think open world gaming is where it's at. I still have fun driving around FC3 crashing pirate roadblocks and having chases and firefights and using a bow long distance, and having to correct for arrow fall is good stuff.

I've searched Uplay, Origin, Steam, Ubisoft and other sites but the offerings are also MEH. FC5 is due out in 2 months so will have to check that out. If they have just repackaged FC3 and FC4, with the same sounds and upgrade trees but made to look different I'll wait a year and get it for $7.99 on sale. I hate it when developers get lazy and just put out something that 'looks' new just to milk money out of the old engine.

I have to say FC3 ruined things for many games to me, that one is so much fun it's hard to go back to more scripted games like COD or BField.

Any suggestions?
When I'm really bored and just want some relatively mindless bang, bang, shoot-em-up I fire up my old Operation Blockade.

This is the start, your weapons (and the enemy's) get progressively better.

The submarine sim series Silent Hunter is great for this type of fighting. Get caught on the surface and you have to fight it out.

Salutations and Excalibur.

I am looking for one or two new PC games to waste time on. Please don't post more than two thank you.

A strategy game that is Expert to Grognard in difficulty. I've had War In The Pacific for ten years and the depth in that is what I'm looking for. Something to play a turn or two each day. I like the detail. WITP: Admiral's Edition is also 9 years old so am looking for something new. I have Civil War II and Cities Skylines. MEH. Men of War Assault Squad 2 is great but also getting dated and have played through enough mods.

Also looking for a First Person Shooter like Far Cry 3-4. Open world, good story, a lot of depth and replay. FC3 and FC4 were great fun. The new Tomb Raiders were also very good. Call of Duty seems too scripted now. I think open world gaming is where it's at. I still have fun driving around FC3 crashing pirate roadblocks and having chases and firefights and using a bow long distance, and having to correct for arrow fall is good stuff.

I've searched Uplay, Origin, Steam, Ubisoft and other sites but the offerings are also MEH. FC5 is due out in 2 months so will have to check that out. If they have just repackaged FC3 and FC4, with the same sounds and upgrade trees but made to look different I'll wait a year and get it for $7.99 on sale. I hate it when developers get lazy and just put out something that 'looks' new just to milk money out of the old engine.

I have to say FC3 ruined things for many games to me, that one is so much fun it's hard to go back to more scripted games like COD or BField.

Any suggestions?
When I'm really bored and just want some relatively mindless bang, bang, shoot-em-up I fire up my old Operation Blockade.

This is the start, your weapons (and the enemy's) get progressively better.

The submarine sim series Silent Hunter is great for this type of fighting. Get caught on the surface and you have to fight it out.

that was one of the best in that you could compete with destroyers of Destroyer Command with SH2

Oh, I also forgot to mention, before we went with GW2, we almost went with ARMA 3, that is an open world FPS.

I am just old and don't have the coordination for that.

But it might interest you.

Arma 3

I've been waiting for Arma 4 to come out for a while. Those games are much more reality based which I like.

Yeah, I left the choice up to him.

I think the reason he decided against it, was no story.

He loved Mine Craft for a while, but it got dull b/c of lack of story. He's got the same issues w/ Ark: Survival Evolved.

I don't understand these developers that make great open world environments, but then make no stories to go along with them. You've got a great world, why not create a history and some characters, and then add a story?

We spend a good, 15 to 20% of our time playing the story.

But then, the Civ series does okay w/o it, so I guess it is all up to personal taste. I'd probably play Civ more with a story campaign outside of the scenarios.

Back in the day, I used to love Panzer General, and I have thought seriously about getting Panzer Corps.

what about ARMA 3 multiplayer? many different vehicles/weapons
..Eve Online is the ultimate open world/sandbox game--but it's a space game--high learning curve...it takes months just to be a rookie
Does Eve Online have a story mode?

..Eve Online is the ultimate open world/sandbox game--but it's a space game--high learning curve...it takes months just to be a rookie
..no--but they have many, many different missions for single player
they are easy at first....I haven't gotten to the advanced missions
..so much different stuff to do I can't even begin to explain it ---a lot of it multiplayer
but you can build up a single player game
it's free, with limits
you get 3 characters and I think you can use the 3 to help each other somewhat
..it's got a market where you can just do that to make money

I'll very highly recommend The Witness by Jonathan Blow.

If you do play this, resist the urge to cheat, or lookup the solutions online. The designer has done a great job of giving you all the tools necessary to solve each puzzle. Often the clues are hidden in the environment itself, or appear later in the game.

It's old, but Empire Earth was one of my favorites.

does anyone remember the old Indiana Jones game where it had an alligator in an under ground cavern?? there were a lot of puzzles you had to figure out.....that's the kind of game I would like to play again

The new versions of Tomb Raider are great, I was skeptical at first but the 2013 reboot with a young Lara shipwrecked on an island is very well done. Rise of the Tomb Raider a couple years ago is also very good though I think think the previous was better.

Far Cry 5 is due out in a week or two, will have to see if they just reskinned the previous versions.

The new versions of Tomb Raider are great, I was skeptical at first but the 2013 reboot with a young Lara shipwrecked on an island is very well done. Rise of the Tomb Raider a couple years ago is also very good though I think think the previous was better.

Far Cry 5 is due out in a week or two, will have to see if they just reskinned the previous versions.
how would you rate FC4 multiplayer? I was thinking of getting that

how would you rate FC4 multiplayer? I was thinking of getting that

I didn't use multiplayer at all. The mechanics of the game are top notch though. Not sure what the mp maps look like.

Resident Evil 7 is really good, if you have a taste for horror. Especially creepy in VR.

I'm not big on zombies etc but if well done I can hang. I watched some videos on Youtube of people playing through The Evil Within 2 I believe was the game. Creepy as hell.

Playing Elex.

elex2018-03-1800-07-470sox.jpg

I just bought the Tomb Raider reboot a few days ago, it was finally cheap enough for me. :p I probably won't start it for a while, because I have so many games to play. I'm playing the first Dead Space at the moment, it was free through Origin. Steam may be the biggest game launching app, but I also use Origin, Uplay, and GOG, and all sometimes offer free games.

I just bought the Tomb Raider reboot a few days ago, it was finally cheap enough for me. :p I probably won't start it for a while, because I have so many games to play. I'm playing the first Dead Space at the moment, it was free through Origin. Steam may be the biggest game launching app, but I also use Origin, Uplay, and GOG, and all sometimes offer free games.

I also use Uplay, Origin and the others. I'll check Youtube for gameplay of the genre I like and try to find something of quality. My game choices are so narrow now that I haven't found anything I like in 6+ months that is new. Hoping FC5 breaks the streak.

Forum List

Back